Thread: Source for ULF Ground Glass

Source for ULF Ground Glass

Anyone have some recommendations for acquiring ground glass for ULF cameras?

Thanks in advance.

Michael, I strongly recommend making your own. There was an article in Photo Techniques a while back that goes into great detail about how to do it-it's worth a trip to the library. I made a ground glass following the directions in the article for an 8x20 camera and it is one of the best I have ever used. The texture is very very fine, and it is bright and easy to focus. It compares favorably with a Maxwell screen that I have in a 4x5 Sinar. The process is a bit tedious in large sizes, but the results are worth it. If you would like I can send you more detailed information about how to do this yourself.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Michael, You might check with our friend Dagor 77 on Ebay. C. P. Goerz on this forum. He has a source and his prices have been more than fair. Richard, I'd like to learn that method also.

Thanks Guys!

Cheers!

Another vote for making your own. Regular window glass is fine, at least for 8x10. I have a recent post about this on photo.net (LF forum).

If you have trouble finding grit, I have quite a bit left over, and would be willing to send you some if you pay shipping.

Speaking of ground glass and Dagor 77: he said in one of his Ebay adds, I think, that his were "acid-etched" and he touted their superiority. What method gives the best surface? Literal grinding with aluminum oxide, etching with acid, or what? What level of courseness or lack thereof will tend to minimize fall-off at the edges, or will it. This is somewhat of a conundrum to me. It would seem that the finer the surface, the more critical the focusing capability. Is that a good assumption or not? Robert McClure