Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Solutions for Whitworth thread tripod mounts

Solutions for Whitworth thread tripod mounts

Having recently acquired a wood/brass camera and having figured out that it takes a Whitworth bolt, now what? How do I get the camera onto something that acts like a tripod?

Anyone have any examples of solutions?

Robert Bowring

Re: Solutions for Whitworth thread tripod mounts

If you are able to figure out what size bolt you need you may be able to find it here:http://britishfasteners.com/index.php

What is your problem? Or rather. are you sure that it is Whitworth related? 1/4, 3/8 and 5/8 UNC (the threads commonly used on modern tripods) dimensions are close enough to the corresponding Whitworth threads to be mutually exchangeable, at least for any screw length you might need on a tripod.

How unusual! Is it a home-made camera?

I would take it to a good hardware store and simply try various bolts to determine its actual dimensions. If it is a Whitworth size, I would change out the socket for a 3/8. For a socket look into 'T' nut fasteners such as this one: http://www.churchfurniturestore.com/tnut.jpg

Best of luck!

Robert Bowring

Be careful when trying another bolt. You may find one that may be close but don't force anything or you could bugger it up. If is truly a Whitworth size it will have a different thread per inch and a different thread angle. Never heard of a camera with a Whitworth tripod screw. Was yours made in England? I think the Brits were the only ones who used Whitworth.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Bowring View Post
    Be careful when trying another bolt. You may find one that may be close but don't force anything or you could bugger it up. If is truly a Whitworth size it will have a different thread per inch and a different thread angle
    UNC and Whitworth have exactly the same TPI, and the nominal 5° difference in angle will be smaller than the variations in UNC tripod threads...

The 55° Whitworth and 60° American threads are intermatable unless the tolerances are very tight.
    Tight tolerances are not appropriate for tripod attachments, so you won't encounter this problem.

Just go ahead and use American 1/4"-20 or 3/8"-16 fasteners and they'll work fine.

Some people have claimed that all tripod fasteners use Whitworth threads. That may be true.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Robert Bowring

You are probably correct. The tolerances are probably would be OK for a tripod. I was just going on my experiences restoring British motorcycles. I can't remember how many repairs I have made when someone has used a bolt that was "close" to the correct size.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Bowring View Post
    The tolerances are probably would be OK for a tripod. I was just going on my experiences restoring British motorcycles. I can't remember how many repairs I have made when someone has used a bolt that was "close" to the correct size.
    The problem you usually run into are folks trying to stuff metric fasteners into imperial holes. Some of the thread sizes appear to be the same, but really are not. If you engage two or three threads by hand it may seem OK. Then folks try to tighten it down and think that the resistance they encounter is from rust or dirt, when in fact it's due to the threads not fitting.

This problem occurs most often due to the thread pitches being slightly different.

Both Whitworth and Imperial 1/4"-20 and 3/8"-16 fasteners have identical pitches.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Robert Bowring

You are correct. The problem I usually run into is when someone turns the wrong steel bolt into something soft like brass or aluminum. They think it is just a little tight so they keep cranking it in until the threads strip out.