Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black and white filters - Hitech quality?

Black and white filters - Hitech quality?

Hello Everyone,

I am thinking of using black and white film (Ilford delta 100) in my newish 5x4 camera. From what I've read, a few filters would be useful...yellow/yellow-green and orange are what I had in mind.

I've had my fingers burnt in the past using Hitech ND grad filters on digital - the magenta cast phenomenon, so I switched to Lee.

Now, Lee filters are costly and considering that I am now looking at coloured filters, I'm thinking that Hitech may be OK? Does anyone have first hand experience of using Hitech/Lee filters on black and white and can offer comments?

Cheers

Graham

Re: Black and white filters - Hitech quality?

You might also consider Cokin. They work quite well for me and I would add a red and green and a Polarizer to your list.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

I use 100mm x 100mm Hitech Contrast Filters with Black and White films although I have adapted them to 125mm x 125mm to enable there use in my Horseman Pro lens hood that I have adapted to fit on my Canham MQC 5x7. I also use Lee 100mm x 150mm Grads.

The Canham Pro Lens Hood does not have slots for filters or vignettes so I adapted my Horseman Pro Hood to fit the Canham as it does have these facilities.

If you are going to scan, you probably won't need them at all. Save your money and learn your masking in PhotoShop....

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

What do you like to shoot? That would affect what filters would be prudent to get first.
    -Chris

Which lens do you use? My 240 G Caron uses all the old filters that fit on my Nikon SLR. You might also find old Wrattans pretty cheap on Ebay, especially Series VI and VII. I also use Lee filters and I like them a lot (I have a pretty eclectic filter kit!)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    If you are going to scan, you probably won't need them at all. Save your money and learn your masking in PhotoShop....

Lenny

Lenny ...

It is my understanding that the use of filters in B&W photography will directly enhance or increase the amount of detail that the film captures. For instance the use of a red filter will enhance the level detail in a blue sky and clouds, over the same shot without the red filter.

Am I incorrect in this thinking? Can the same level of detail be achieved using a mask in Photoshop after the unfiltered negative has been scanned?

Tim
    ... my real name, imagine that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Hodgson View Post
    Lenny ...

It is my understanding that the use of filters in B&W photography will directly enhance or increase the amount of detail that the film captures. For instance the use of a red filter will enhance the level detail in a blue sky and clouds, over the same shot without the red filter.

Am I incorrect in this thinking? Can the same level of detail be achieved using a mask in Photoshop after the unfiltered negative has been scanned?

Tim
    This may be just a matter of terminology but the standard colored filters in b&w photography (yellow, orange, red, green) aren't generally used to enhance detail. They're used to separate tones that otherwise would tend to merge in a b&w photograph.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I have never had an occasion to disagree with Lenny but I think he missed the boat on this one. Why not make the image you want in the camera? Why waste time in Photoshop?

You don't say what lenses you have. I have never been fond of the slip in filters with holders. I have tried lots of solutions and the best one that I have found is using a Pentax gel holder that takes 77mm filters on the front and has a 67mm clip on for the lens. It is very fast and can be used with both filters and gels which makes it very flexible. I simply step all my lenses to 67mm if they are not already. If you use larger lenses (or perhaps super wides) it won't work obviously. The gel holder was incidental to a 6x7 kit I bought a long time ago but I haven't seen one since. It might be very difficult to find if you go looking for one.

Thanks everyone for your inputs.

I agree with the last post that I would rather try to get it right in camera, rather than sat at a computer. I am like that with digital, so really want to be with film!

I know this is like asking what's better, tea or coffee but are yellow-green and orange good first choices? I've seen the effects of red filters, sometimes I like sometimes looks too much.

Cheers

Graham