Thread: Schneider Apo-Symmar 240 mm f5.6 (8x10 format)

Question Schneider Apo-Symmar 240 mm f5.6 (8x10 format)

I'm going to be a future owner of the lens and I was wondering how it'll perform with my Cambo Calumet 8x10 camera. I'm really excited to try this lens out but I am curious how different it will be from my old fujinon 300mm f/5.6 lens.

My main purpose for this lens will be environmental portraiture and landscape.

What are your opinions of the Schneider Apo-Symmar 240 mm f5.6 on an 8x10 camera in terms of sharpness, color rendition, etc?

Thank you in advance,
    Eric O.

Re: Schneider Apo-Symmar 240 mm f5.6 (8x10 format)

Quote Originally Posted by EricOmori View Post
    I'm going to be a future owner of the lens and I was wondering how it'll perform with my Cambo Calumet 8x10 camera. I'm really excited to try this lens out but I am curious how different it will be from my old fujinon 300mm f/5.6 lens.

My main purpose for this lens will be environmental portraiture and landscape.

What are your opinions of the Schneider Apo-Symmar 240 mm f5.6 on an 8x10 camera in terms of sharpness, color rendition, etc?

Thank you in advance,
    Eric O.
    The Apo-Symmar lenses are some of the finest lenses ever made. Just like Fuji, Nikon, Rodenstock, etc.. You won't have much room for movements with a 240 on 8x10 though.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

The Fujinon 250mm f/6.7 was a favorite of Jock Sturges for environmental portraiture. He used it in his early work but has since changed lenses I heard. The lens is also a great landscape lens and has an image circle of 398. I own one and love it.

The 240 that you are looking at has an image circle of 352 so like E. says, it depends if that is fine with you. Of course if you really need more coverage for a shot you can always revert back to your 300mm.

The difference between a 240mm and 250mm lens on 8x10 is very small. My 250mm feels something like a 35mm lens on a 35mm camera or full frame DSLR to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    The Fujinon 250mm f/6.7 was a favorite of Jock Sturges for environmental portraiture. He used it in his early work but has since changed lenses I heard. The lens is also a great landscape lens and has an image circle of 398. I own one and love it.

The 240 that you are looking at has an image circle of 352 so like E. says, it depends if that is fine with you. Of course if you really need more coverage for a shot you can always revert back to your 300mm.

I was also looking at this lens but a seller on ebay said it wouldn't cover 8x10.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FUJI-FUJINON...item4ac1fe12e9

Would that have enough coverage for 8x10?

I was also looking at this lens but a seller on ebay said it wouldn't cover 8x10.

This is the lens that I own and was talking about. It is an early single coated Fujinon with an image circle of 398mm. It easily covers 8x10 with room for movements. I paid almost $300.00 for mine including shipping. I got mine cheap but I have seen others go for $300-$350 plus shipping on Ebay. A few have sold on this forum as well.

This Seller is a bit high in price. Be patient and you can get one reasonable.

Eric, you really need to inform yourself as to image circle, angle of view, and what coverage is needed for which format.

The homepage of this site has all of this information readliy available. For instance - http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses-primer/
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Oh wow I didn't even notice all the information on the homepage. Sorry I am new to these forums...

Thank you for your help