Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glossy vs Matte for prints ??

Glossy vs Matte for prints ??

My epson 7600 is on the way

Thusfar I have printed mostly semi-glossy on my 2200

I realize it is a matter of artistic preference, but I would appreciate your collective wisdom.

Glossy or Matte. Landscapes and still lifes, mostly color, some B&W

Thanks

No doubt that glossy gives you better reproduction: blacker blacks, whiter whites and more brilliant colors. Perfect for submission to a lithographer.

But as wallhangers, matte looks more handmade and artistic. Glossy prints on the wall look to me like a room full of giant plastic credit cards. You might turn your living room into a cross between the London Underground and a travel agency.

>Glossy prints on the wall look to me like a room full of giant plastic credit cards.

Heh, that was funny.

I like glossy for color and matte for B/W. But I have been taking a liking to color on matte--can give a nice pastel coloring to the image.

Once you place an image behind glass, the difference between matte and glossy decreases considerably.

For what it's worth, I use the Epson matte black ink, and print on matte stock. At the risk of starting a flame war, most people are surprised surprised when I tell them that the prints were were digitally printed. Of course, most people never ask.

If you are using the standard Ultrachrome inks, then you will probably find that the greatest print longevity is attained with matte papers. The last time I researched this issue, that was still the case.

This is a topic that I'm going to archive. I know that Tim has some papers that he can reccomend avoiding, but i have not seen the question put so succenctly. Gloss, Semi-gloss, or Matt?

There are many places to research, but I like these guys, and they openly offer free advice. See http://www.inkjetart.com/

It's up to you to decide. You are the artist, picking your materials is your decisision.

I will say this much. Pigment inks tend to do better on matte papers, regardless of what the manufacturers' sales brouchures imply. Bronzing on glossy papers is just about unavoidable from what I can tell. The only way around it are many coats of lacquer is you are into that kind of thing.

Also, Ken is right, after you put a print under glass, it's pretty difficult to see the difference between a matte and a glossy surface.

Bruce Watson

I just came back from some portfolio reviews and the vendors who were advertising printing services had their piezo ink jet prints under glass. The prints were made on water color paper and once they were framed it was hard to tell the difference between a matt print and a glossy print.

Of course, once the glass was off (the display fell off), it was easy to tell, but the prints were still beautiful.

I have just been trialling different papers on my epson 7600 (it has only been here a couple of weeks)

For sharpness you can't go past the pictorico 'Photo gallery high gloss white film' made from plastic and ceramic. But as ponted out it does look like framed plastic... people love the prints unframed. There must be something about the gloss in this plastic day and age. and for the first time I can easily see the differences in the different print settings (770 dpi vers 1440 dpi)

I have also been getting great results from Mitsubishi saturn photo paper... and very good value, they make some of the epson papers I am told..

But..

I have decided to go with a 100% cotton rag paper... that produces beautiful prints... unframed they are stunning... and subtle (I like and prefer subtle)... framed to the casual eye they just look the same... I choose this to accentuate the fact that they aren't traditional photographs, that they last a long time (the longest in the archival rating tests), and have there own unique look... besides being a traditional printmaker (lithography & etching) and a watercolourist, I couldn't go past traditional rag papers...

As to the final results I still haven't had the printer / paper combination calibrated, but the epson driver for smooth art papers works very well for me...

Everyone who has seen one loves them... "that is the most beautiful inkjet print I have ever seen!" from a respected pladium printer friend...

Oh it is worth working out the prices for the paper.. it does add up...

and subject matter does seem to make a difference... it really is a personal choice...

Just my two cents worth.... (oh Gotta love that printer... enjoy...)

Len Metcalf

Leonard Murray Metcalf BA Dip Ed MEd

Len's gallery lenmetcalf.com

Lens School

Lens Journal

Leonard - Which paper are you using ? I'm wanting to try something in 100% rag.