Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Effects of developer dilutions

Effects of developer dilutions

I'm rather new to developing film but i'm starting to tinker. I'm curious what the effects are if I start changing the dilutions. Right now im working with HC110 and Tri-X 320. I have been using the normal 1:31 dilution @ 5:30. I found i was a bit under exposed and pushed to 6:15 and im getting usable results. I was reading about some different timing and dilutions but im not clear on what they will effect.

For example, if I change the dilution to 1:15 and keep the same time will get the same result as developing for double the time at 1:15 or would i just see an increase in contrast.
    Ryan Mills

Re: Effects of developer dilutions

First you must recognize that that Pushing doesn't correct exposure it pushed the highlights up, if you want to fix exposure, try shooting at EI 250.

I know many Tri-X users who shoot 400 speed Tri-X at 320 so try shooting 250.

As for dilutions, there are many options.

Experiment go crazy! Haha

HC-110 is a great developer. If you make your solution twice as dilute [1+31 to 1+63], just double your time. If you use an intermediate dilution, you can calculate your development time from your initial dilution/development time. In you question about how long to develop at 1+15, you would cut your time in half since the developer is twice as strong; 3 min 7 seconds.

So dev at 1:31 for 6 mins would be the same as as 1:63 for 12 mins?

I have not been able to wrap my head around EI vs ISO vs ASA and what bloody times to develop at. I did a test shoot at ISO 250 and extending my dev time but it left a rather flat image. That's why I wondered about mixing HC110 strong first off to shorten the time and wondered if I would increase contrast. I have not seen much change speeding up my agitation.
    Ryan Mills

Wouldn't volume of developer and amount film processed have an affect on the relation between dilution and time? If you have stronger developer in the same end volume wouldn't the fall off of activity be less? I guess a quick test would tell but it seems to me that cutting the strength in half might necessitate more than double the time if you are working with a minimal volume.
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmills View Post
    So dev at 1:31 for 6 mins would be the same as as 1:63 for 12 mins?

I have not been able to wrap my head around EI vs ISO vs ASA and what bloody times to develop at. I did a test shoot at ISO 250 and extending my dev time but it left a rather flat image. That's why I wondered about mixing HC110 strong first off to shorten the time and wondered if I would increase contrast. I have not seen much change speeding up my agitation.
    For all intents and purposes, ASA and ISO are the same, many film guys use ASA when referencing film and ISO to speak about digital (ASA was the old standard). EI is Exposure Index, just assume when someone says EI they are often saying ... "I shot this shot of tri-x at EI200" they mean that even though the actual speed of the film is 400, they shot it at 200, exposure index is what you are shooting at, ASA/ISO is the speed of the film.

You CAN say "I shot Tri-x at EI400" but that's just redundant. EI is often used when there is an adjustment.

Hope that helps

So really EI just means its not the rated film speed but the speed is still the same regardless EI400 = ASA400. So if I shot Tri-X 320 at 100, it would be EI100? Sometimes the logic of film completely eludes me.
    Ryan Mills

Ryan, please don't take this as a criticism or put-down, it is not intended as such. But by reading your posts it sounds like you are pretty new and inexperienced to film exposure and development. My advice to you is to settle on one film, one developer, and one development routine, and stick with it until you get your process nailed down tight. Once you can produce consistent, repeatable results from that combo, then buy one of the many good books on the market and begin learning about the variables (exposure index, development time, developer dilution, agitation schemes, etc) that you can employ to produce different results. Experiment with these variables one at a time, and keep good notes so that you can interpret your results.

I dont plan to change dev or film, just the process and yes im fine using the standard times, i just don't like the look and I'm just trying to sort out what changes might make a difference.
    Ryan Mills

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmills View Post
    So really EI just means its not the rated film speed but the speed is still the same regardless EI400 = ASA400. So if I shot Tri-X 320 at 100, it would be EI100? Sometimes the logic of film completely eludes me.
    Essentially for all intents and purposes here, you're getting it, it's more complex but that's the long and short of it as far as what you need to know for now