Thread: Old Model Technika

Question Old Model Technika

I just made a trade for an old model Technika in 5x7. The owner said it used one-sided filmholders only & he couldn't find any. Can it be converted to use 2-sided holders? If not, where can I find them or can I make them from 2-sided? Thanks for any help!

Re: Old Model Technika

Is the back removeable? If so you might be able to swap the back for a two-sided one. I shoot Linhof 4x5's but do not consider myself an expert on the brand. That said, I am not aware that some older model Linhofs used one sided backs.

Quote Originally Posted by 1750Shooter View Post
    I just made a trade for an old model Technika in 5x7. The owner said it used one-sided filmholders only & he couldn't find any. Can it be converted to use 2-sided holders? If not, where can I find them or can I make them from 2-sided? Thanks for any help!
    Is it 5x7 or 13cm by 18cm? Have you tried to insert a standard 5x7 filmholder?
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

I did once have an older Technika III which had the back for single sided plate/film holders. It's not a spring back. I seem to recall a later spring type back fit on the camera just fine. Rotate the back 45 degrees undo the 4 corner latches and replace the old back with a newer 5x7 Technika spring back. (Which of course is not particularly easy to find.)

If it's older than a III though the newer spring backs won't fit.
    And no, they're NOT easy to find! When I got my Tech IV it came w/ a 4x5 reducing back- took a while - and a good deal of $ to find a 5x7 back.
    -Brian