Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pyrocat HD Kit Impossible to Reconstitute?

Beverly Hills, California

Pyrocat HD Kit Impossible to Reconstitute?

I just tossed the first of two 10L Pyrocat HD kits I ordered from Photo formulary because I messed the first up trying to mix it.

0.2 grams of Phenione? I can only pray some made it into the bottle.

Is there a secret to consistently mixing these tiny Pyrocat HD kits up?

Does someone sell a pre-mixed kit?

Bostick and Sullivan sells an liquid kit. I just used it myself for the first time a couple nights ago. The negatives look great despite the transfer cog on my Jobo breaking halfway through the pre-soak...

Is there mention of it on their web site ? I have purchased PMK from them in liquid form, but I can't find any reference to Pyrocat HD on their site.

I use pyrocat-hd mixed from the same photographers forumulary kit you're using, I always try to be very care full to get all the chemicals into the bottle, and not spill any. So far I've mixed a few batches and haven't had any consitancy problems. I didn't realize Bostick and Sullivan sold liquid kits though, that would be a bit easier. Might be worth trying those if the price is similar.

Peter

I've used both kits -- Formulary and B&S -- and much prefer the B&S since it is delivered in liquid form. Mixing the stuff up is not easy. The one thing to remember is that the B&S kit solution B is 75% while the formulary is 100 grams to 100 ml. Somewhere Sandy King said to add 15% to developing time for the B&S kit. My results with both kits were indistinguishable.

Good Luck.....................

Something I can help with.

If you are going to mix dry chemicals it is best to have a beaker with a wide enough mouth to accomodate the whole top of the envelope. Bottles are a PItA. Since you are adding water to the mix any way use some of the water to rince the remaining chemicals from the bag. becareful not to splash but you should be wearing gloves to mix chemicals anyway. This is easy and as long as you are craeful not to exceed the final amount of water all of the chemical gets into the beaker. When finished transfer to you bottles.

Here is a cheap source of good beakers.

http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm?subsection=4

It's not on their website, as far as I can tell, and it's not in the online version of their catalog. They really do a pretty good job of keeping it secret... It's in the latest version of their printed catalog though. If you call them, they'll admit they have it...

Melody told me in an email that they Bostick and Sullivan had Pyrocat-HD for sale in a liguid but it has not gotten to the web site yet. You can order it over the telephone at this time.

leec

Beverly Hills, California

Good useable info here. Thanks.

Second question regarding the Pyrocat Solution B (Potassium Carbonate), mine has quickly come out of "solution" and seperated into components. Is it normally a suspension like this, or is it suppose to stayed dissolved in the H20?

I saw the Pyrocat liquid kits on B&S several days ago. The link to the Pyrocat listing is http://bostick-sullivan.com/commerce/aa_41.htm. For some reason its listed on the page you reach by clicking on the "Pyro Rollo Solution A" link under Alternative Photographic Process Chemicals.