Thread: New review of Induro PHQ1 tripod head

New review of Induro PHQ1 tripod head

I have written up a detailed review of the Induro PHQ1 tripod head on my blog. You can find the review here.

In short, I find it to be a good head that fits my needs well, albeit with one notable (and potentially significant) design problem with the QR clamp. It works wonderfully with my Chamonix 4x5. Other members here might find it to be a good solution as well.

Standard disclaimer: I have zero affiliation with Induro.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo-otaku.com_induro_phq1-9-500x500.jpg  

Re: New review of Induro PHQ1 tripod head

Very interesting review.
    This is the first I have heard of a screw QR release being too loose.
    I am experiencing the same frustrations with the flip lever QR clamps and a variety of RRstuff, generic and Acratech plates. My experience is; there is no standards regarding plates, despite what manufacturers say.
    And that flip lever QR plates are more problematic for inherent design reasons.
    But to have a screw QR clamp not tighten enough is just silly. It should be designed to be able to overtighten. ( It requires another QR clamp purchase or possibly a number of shims for any number of different plates that someone may acquire in the future. Not to mention losing the shim in the field and crashing your camera or the cost of bandaids needed to handle the beer can thin metal.
    I am reminded of this thread
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...nhead-comments
    I get your very clear caveates; but I am kind of gently surprised you would still put your recommendation on this head, under any circumstances.)

And , by the way, Acratech responded to my problems Likkedysplit; mailing out the necessary solution no charge to Canada, immediately.

I guess it comes down to it still being such an improvement over other heads I've used that I'm willing to put up with the clamp problem. I thought about modifying my Gitzo head or another head with an additional pan stage and a QR clamp, but the cost of doing so always ended up approaching or exceeding the cost of the Induro head, while being less compact and lacking the folding handles (which really are a major plus for me, despite the fiddlyness).

I know non-adjustable lever-type clamps have really been a problem for other people in terms of compatibility, but with more and more of them being adjustable now (Acratech, Sunwayfoto, Arca Swiss, I'm sure there are others), it really seems like there would be less of an excuse for it going forward. And with screw-type clamps it really seems like a lack of compatibility would ome down to poor research and design. Like you said, why not build a little extra capacity into it from the start?

Ah, You are a kinder man than I.
    The companies have to make up some dimensions. As you say a bit of research and design. Unless the real problem is the samples of ArcaSwiss plates, they buy to measure, all vary
    As to the adjustment mechanisms of the flip lever types, the one I have has a bulge on the undersurface limiting its use to a smaller plate. Alas solutions that make for more problems.
    PS like your Photo Otaku, and wish you well with your assisting

I like Induro tripods very much, I have an AT413, and it's solid, heavy and very well-built.
    These PHQ heads attracted me for a long time, but the little naggy details that you mention also popped up in every other review I read about the PHQs.
    The big problem you had is the first I've heard about this, and like Bill, this would be a deal-breaker for me.
    I hope that it serves you well, and keep us informed as to how it all pans out (pun intended ).

An update is in order! I heard from someone else at Induro today, and they're taking care of the problem for me. There is something of an updated clamp, apparently (looks like i got an early example of the head), and my head will be brought up to current spec. My frustrations have vaporized. Color me pleased.

I've been using Induro tripods for some time now, and like them. I have always had good service from the company and prompt response from them for the couple of small niggling issues I've had.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

I have this head on a Calumet Carbon fiber tripod. I got the combination as an upgrade for my old Tiltall Pro.

It took me a little while to get used to its idiosyncrasies, but now that I understand how to use it, I find it works well with my Toho FC-45X and my Nikon D800. I use the quick release plate that came with the head, having got an additional one for the second camera. The cameras are held securely with no problems.

I have the larger brother PHQ3 sitting on a CT214 for about 18 months now and I'm extremely pleased with this travel combination (fits in a 26" suitcase ... ) No issues whatsoever, clamps all my plates, camera brackets and nodal slides.