Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PMK vs Pyrocat HD

PMK vs Pyrocat HD

In the June/July issue of CameraArts we do a quick comparison between these two developers with 35mm FP4+.

In the July/Aug View Camera we will look at these two developers with HP5+ and the new version of Tri-X sheet films.

steve simmons

PMK vs Pyrocat HD

I hope you'll make mention of the suitability, or lack thereof, of using these with continuous agitation in a (Jobo) drum.

PMK vs Pyrocat HD

Or in a Unicolor / Uniroller?

PMK vs Pyrocat HD

I have never understood the appeal of roller drum processing. With trays I can process 6-8 sheets simultaneously for 6-8 different times.

steve simmons

PMK vs Pyrocat HD

Steve, have you ever tried roller drum or better yet manal tube processing of sheet film 8x10 or larger? I cannot do 6-8 sheets of 8x10 at a time but I can certainly do 4 (with 4 different times) and with the lights on! I mostly use Pyrocat HD with minimal agitation and I believe it is preferable that the film remains upright during the non-agitation periods - which is why trays will not do.

Beverly Hills, California

PMK vs Pyrocat HD

The appeal is...

when one has limited darkroom space, outstanding E-6 sheets, minimal physical damage especially w/ Jobo Expert drums.

PMK vs Pyrocat HD

Excellent - Sorry I let my subscription lapse. I will renew it.

Why not toss in TMax 400 as well ? Same league, works wonderfully in PyroCat HD.

PMK vs Pyrocat HD

Steve, while you may not appreciate the drums there are those of use who do - and we subscribe to your magazines (or buy them in the store). I personally don't understand the appeal of shuffling film in the dark only the end up with scratches and a sore back - but if it works for you then who am I to tell you what to do. Given that those of use who do use a Jobo (or other drum system) might be interested in the results of these developers with these films, it would make sense to at least touch on the performance in drums. After all you are in the business of selling magazines, not converting us all to one way of doing things.

And while I am on the drum defensive, one of the biggest advantages for me is that I can use the same development method and times for both roll and sheet film. Given that I hate film testing, this cuts that chore in half.

Eric Woodbury

PMK vs Pyrocat HD

Larry, right on the money. As much as I like standing in the dark for 1/2 hours at a time with my hands in toxic waste, breathing fumes, scratching film, I can give up the ability to pull a negative by 1/2 a stop.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

PMK vs Pyrocat HD

I've never understood the appeal of trays except from a cost standpoint. I can process six different 4x5 negatives for six different times all in one run using the BTZS tubes(actually I probably could do as many as 10 at once if I bought four more tubes but I don't work in volume usually so the cost of the extra tubes hasn't been worth it to me), plus I never ever get scratches, plus I can process from development through fix in full room light, plus I use far less chemicals (1 ounce of developer 1-1 per tube) plus I don't have to stand over open trays in the dark inhaling chemical fumes. I would think the appeal of those things is easily understandable, whether someone chooses to use the tubes is a personal decision but their appeal is surely understandable.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.