Thread: Question re: leaning rollers on a Polaroid 405 back

Question re: leaning rollers on a Polaroid 405 back

I just got this today- it has a little bit of chemical gunk on the edges of the rollers. I rinsed the rollers off and it's pretty clean, however I figured I would leave it until someone who knew could guide me. One of the rollers spins freely, one is very stiff. Am I right in assuming that both should spin free? what product could I use clean it? Soak it in soapy water? Alcohol? Thanks.

jadphoto

Re: Question re: leaning rollers on a Polaroid 405 back

Alcohol and a soft cloth should clean it OK. Both metal rollers should spin freely.

JD

Thanks. Seems like it hasnt been used in a while. would soaking it hurt anything?

Just pop the roller assemble out and run hot water over it while working the junk free with Q-tips. Once roth rollers spin freely, just dry them off and then finish with blast of compressed air until no more water beads blow out from the roller pin areas.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

I've had several Polaroid holders this size. I've found that the roller that the spring pushes on is always stiffer to turn than the other one. If they are really gunky, and sometimes if they are not, I take the entire roller assembly apart to clean everything up it's much easier. A little wax based lube (pledge furniture polish) on the bearing surfaces of the rollers may help a little.

Gently spread the tabs that lock the springs in place and pry the springs out. There is a small plastic holder on each end of the rollers that the rollers are mounted in. Pay attention to which way it needs to go back in, if they are backwards there will be no tension on the rollers. You probably wouldn't be able to get the springs back in if they are wrong. Clean everything up with warm water and a soft cloth, dry well, lube if desired, and reassemble.

Thanks- I'll get it rolling tomorrow. I'm not ready for film yet- I dont even have a dark bag

thats the beauty of instant film. Open the holder, open the foil pouch the film is in, put cartridge in holder, close holder, pull out tab with about 12" of black protective paper, take pictures. All in the open light. Of course, judicious use of the darkslide must be used if you remove the 405 from your camera with film in it after you have removed the black paper! But if you do screw up, (if your like me, you will) you only ruin the next picture in line.

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    Just pop the roller assemble out and run hot water over it while working the junk free with Q-tips. Once roth rollers spin freely, just dry them off and then finish with blast of compressed air until no more water beads blow out from the roller pin areas.

Q-tips aren't great for crevice cleaning because they leave snagged, kinky hairs behind that can gum up the works.

Quote Originally Posted by photonsoup View Post
    I've had several Polaroid holders this size. I've found that the roller that the spring pushes on is always stiffer to turn than the other one. If they are really gunky, and sometimes if they are not, I take the entire roller assembly apart to clean everything up it's much easier. A little wax based lube (pledge furniture polish) on the bearing surfaces of the rollers may help a little.

Pledge leaves a greasy film on surfaces that will transfer to "Polaroid" prints when passing through the rollers. The stainless steel should simply be clean.