Thread: Missing Lens frame holder on Calumet 4x5 CC-400 (45NX)

Missing Lens frame holder on Calumet 4x5 CC-400 (45NX)

I recently purchased a used Calumet CC-400. I believe these also go by the model number 45NX. At least, I can't discern any visual different between the two. At any rate, the camera I bought is missing the lens board holder on the front - the piece of steel that is moveable above the lens frame to keep it in place and allow the lens board to be switched out.

Unfortunately, the screws are missing too, so I have no idea what size screws it uses. Does anyone have any idea where to get a replacement for this part, or if it may just be easier to try to build a new one myself. I think I ought to be able to make one out of plexi or something, but still need to know what size screw goes in that hole.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	missingpart.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	90268

Re: Missing Lens frame holder on Calumet 4x5 CC-400 (45NX)

First, you might try calling Calumet in Chicago and asking for Jose in repairs. They still carry (or did two years ago) several parts for this camera. Perhaps he can solve your problem without you having to try a home build project.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Thanks, Lenser! I'll give that a shot tomorrow!

The screws that hold the sliding plate on the Calumet are shoulder screws, 3/16 long and 3-56 thread. Hardware stores aren't apt to carry anything close to that. Model shops and gunsmiths would be likelier sources. There is a thin washer between the screw head and the sliding plate. Perhaps a shoulder screw can be improvised with very thin wall tubing of the right size. A screw without the shoulder could be kept in place with Locktite or anything else that keeps it from unscrewing. The sliding plate seems interchangeable with the one on my Crown Graphic. The Crown screws are 5/16 long, and have two washers between the head of the screw and the plate, and one between the plate and camera. I might be able to salvage the screws and plate from a junk Speed Graphic, but have been wrestling with tiny screws, washers, and fat fingers too much this morning to tackle that now.

Hmmm, well, I put in a call to Jose at Calumet Photography in Chicago as Lenser suggested. He was able to sell me a couple pairs of the screws (Pt. #108381 according to him) for $.75 each. They also had a used slide lock for $5.99, so all in all I'd say they were very helpful. Now, I'm not sure if these screws are coming with the thin washer that you are describing, Jim, but I'll know as soon as the stuff arrives in a few days hopefully. Hopefully washers won't be as difficult to find if I need them, though.