Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Landscape workshop: What questions are likely to be asked?

Landscape workshop: What questions are likely to be asked?

Hi,

I am about to run a landscape / wilderness photography workshop. And in the quest for better preparation, I am wondering what questions / problems / issues are likely to be raised by the participants?

Or to ask the question in a different manner: "What would you want to get from such a workshop?"

Participants: anywhere beyond beginner.

Your imput will be appreachiated.

Len Metcalf

Leonard Murray Metcalf BA Dip Ed MEd

Len's gallery lenmetcalf.com

Lens School

Lens Journal

Leonard,

I'll start by saying that the best group to address this question to are the attendees: what are their expectations or hopes?

For us to provide any suggestions of value you need to describe the workshop in more detail. Is there a focus: the basics, composition, handling exposure calculations, etc?

Over to you....

Bill

Bill,

It has been marketed as a guided photography weekend, where I take the group to nice wilderness places to photograph, give individual tuition / feedback... I do plan to ask the group what they want (I have seven students) and to tailor it to their own specific needs, but in my usual teaching style that will be the starting point of the course.

"A short weekend to inspire, motivate and create. Designed for the photographer with an interest in taking photographs of the Australian Landscape."

The emphais will be on the doing rather than theory etc... the marketing bent has been towards exploring the creative process... "this course is not full of theory or complicated techniques. However, it is full of practice, reflecting, learning and socializing in a stunning a pictureseque environment."

I was really just wondering what are the usual questions that people ask. Rather than finding the content from this group.

Does this describe it better?

Thanks

Len Metcalf

Leonard Murray Metcalf BA Dip Ed MEd

Len's gallery lenmetcalf.com

Lens School

Lens Journal

Octogenarian

Hi Leonard,

From my own experience, the most frequently asked questions (keeping it completely generic): Where is the toilet? ; When do we rest? ; When do we eat?

In other words, make certain that the group's basic creature comfort needs are taken care of first. You will discover that the members of the group will pay closer attention to the subject matter, and they won't complain as much as they would if they were uncomfortable.

It might help if you take one from someone else before giving one.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

If I were on your workshop I would want to know how you see and compose a picture. I would also want you to look through the ground glass on my camera and make suggestions on how the composition could be improved. I would also want to know the filters that you most frequently use and why. If the students/members are going to bring previous work for critique I would want to know how I could spice up (add interest to) specific pictures and obtain smoother tones.

The biggest single leap for me when I was just getting my feet wet in 35mm years ago was learning color temperature theory and how to use color correction filters as well as polaroid filters. That and the discovery of Velvia gave me a combination that made my stuff stand head and shoulders above the ordinary. Contrast control by pre-flashing the film through a diffusion filter is always something you learn in workshops and hardly ever use.

I'd say be prepared for a *lot* of questions about the equipment you use at the workshop, as well as lots of questions about equipment in general. A very large percentage of aspiring photographers firmly believe that their pictures shortcomings will be overcome if they invest in new equipment. Although your students are on the road to doing better (hey, they are taking a workshop!), I would still bet a lot of equipment questions.

If you are in a somewhat hostile environment with city folk, be prepared for the "dangers of wilderness" questions, i.e. snakes, etc. Some will likely be nervous about this. In my experience, many people are far more worried about all the wildlife going insane and attacking them than what is far more likely to kill them (exposure, dehydration, stupid fall, etc.).

When taking pictures, you will get questions concerning exposure, use of filters, etc. You may get some questions on depth of field.

If you are really lucky and get a few great students, you might even get a question on composition or lighting. Don't hold your breath though.

Require everyone who attends to bring a Polaroid 545 /545i back and both B&W (Type 55) and color film.

Also lots and lots of water. Not sodas, not beer, not "sports drinks"...water.

Require everyone who attends to bring a Polaroid 545 /545i back and both B&W (Type 55) and color Polaroid film as well as real film.

Also lots and lots of water. Not sodas, not beer, not "sports drinks"...water.