Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fairchild Aerial camera - how to get the lens out?

Fairchild Aerial camera - how to get the lens out?

I'm posting this here rather in the "cameras" forum in the hopes that you diy folks won't beat me up as badly as I deserve.

I bought a Fairchild f-56 aerial camera thinking to remove the lens.

It is not entirely clear how that happens.

I've seen the lensboards out, so I know it can happen, but I'm not certain how to go about it.

I would have just started by removing the six screws around the edge of the board, but another post on the subject said that that didn't work for the poster.

I gather that many of the other Fairchild cameras were of similar design, just different focal lengths, so if you got the lens out of another model, please tell me how.

Problem two, and I should have seen this coming, there is no "T" or "B" on the shutter.

Might there be some way to hold the damn thing open if and when I do get it out of the camera?

Why I want to bother: the lens is a 20" B&L telephoto and the camera was reasonable.

I did look online for anything on this camera and found nothing of substance.

Please spare me your thoughts on why I shouldn't have bought this, or what I should have bought instead that would have been easier, cheaper, better, lighter, longer, sharper, etc.

In anticipation of my eventual success in this endeavor, I will offer up the remains of the camera free-for-shipping to anyone who is a more optimistic tinker than myself. (It's heavy: shipping won't be cheap)
    Vincent

AnonymousPictures.tumblr.com

Re: Fairchild Aerial camera - how to get the lens out?

You can probably find a manual on line, or track down one of the techs who maintained these for your wealthy Uncle "back in the day." If you're in California, Castle Air Museum might be able to help you with the details---theres lots of old Airdales hanging around the place.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I can't answer directly, but have extracted lenses from several aerial camera lens cones. They all screwed into the cones and were held in place by radial setscrews. Aircraft vibrate, so the setscrews are typically glued in. Look closely, you might find what I did. There's no guarantee, but looking is cheap.

The Handbook of instructions is in at least three libraries. http://www.worldcat.org/title/handbo.../oclc/11014634 Finally, you might ask the National Air & Space Museum.

If yours still has it's watch, you might be able to make a deal with this chap
    http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50141
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

John,

I tried looking online: No manual, even though there are posts suggesting that there is one somewhere.

There is a used copy of the operator's manual for $30 at a used book seller, but that almost certainly won't have repair info or an illustrated parts breakdown, and would represent a substantial increase in the cost of the project.

I haven't gotten into the aircraft forums: I expect that my question would be as welcome there as "how do I convert a Century Studio camera into a coffee table?" would be here.
    Vincent

Dan,

I actually had searched enough to have found that, but suspect that it's just the operator's manual and not the tech manual.

Interlibrary loan is available very slowly and not always free, so the bookseller with the $30 copy might get my money eventually:
    but only after all of you folks give up and after I've broken a screwdriver or two and some Sawzall blades.
    Vincent

John,

It's missing the watch.

I gather that they're all missing the watch.

It must have been a pretty cool watch.
    Vincent

To remove the lens you need a saw.

Alternatively, you might be able to drill out the rivets on the back side.

Good luck.

Old time military photographers are pretty cool guys! Contact the PA (Public Affairs) Officer at Wright Patterson AFB. They might be able to link you up with someone who can help.

You are asking for help to destroy an artifact from the US military? Or you are trying to repair it?