Thread: bausch and lomb zeiss protar lens

bausch and lomb zeiss protar lens

Hello, I just purchased a no.17 series VII B&L zeiss protar lens. Can someone fill me in on its use and worth. It is in good condition. Thanks, Jeff

A number 17 is a 12" triple convertible (304mm) consisting of 23 1/2" front (597mm) and 19 1/4" rear (489mm) cells. Its maximum aperture for the combination is f7. It works at an 80 degree angle, which gives ample coverage for 8" X 10".

As to its worth, prices vary widely, condition being very important. You could get an idea by searching eBay for "Protar", including completed auctions.

Protar's have a cult like following. I have a modern one (coated Zeiss) and haven't used it enough to see if all the fuss is warranted or not. B&L made them under license to Zeiss who invented them. The B&L seem only to be slightly inferior because they are more likely to have balsam seperation around the far edges. Looks like yellow bubbly stuff. It doesn't render the lens un-useable though. The bigger Protar's increase in value by magnitude over the smaller ones so you're in luck.

I have the exact same lens. It is mounted in a Wollensak, Betax #5 shutter. Mine was made during or just after WWII, I believe. This is my favorite lens (I have a 10" WF Ektar and have used several modern Schneider lenses).

Besides being very sharp, its images exhibit a great sense of depth and space that I haven't seen in any other lens. It seems as though you can reach into the picture itself and touch the rocks and textures, there is such a sense of realism. Perhaps this is part of the "cult" aspect.