Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Freelance travel photography??

Re: Freelance travel photography??

Quote Originally Posted by Sevo View Post
    Mamiya Super 23? But your issues are not format or technology related. If freelance travel photography sells at all (it has become harder, with few magazines left that have any independent editorial content at all) it is through a good story on a novel and interesting aspect of the destination. That is, you'd better be a first class writer as well as a first class photographer, or you'll have to team up with one...

Very true. I work with a few great writers and we invent stories and sell the idea to magazines. I have a couple coming up in New mexico Magazine and Dwell.
    Last edited by Kirk Gittings; 26-Feb-2013 at 13:35.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Kevin Kolosky

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    How so exactly? You know I make my principle living shooting large buildings for top architects and magazines with a DSLR (after 27 years with a 4x5) and t/s lenses.
    Please READ my quote. I said, "or equivalent".

Sorry I did read it before and again now and am even more confused by your latest post unless your point now is that a DSLR with T/S lenses is the equivalent of the Linhoff????
    Last edited by Kirk Gittings; 27-Feb-2013 at 11:14.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Quote Originally Posted by Sevo View Post
    Mamiya Super 23? But your issues are not format or technology related. If freelance travel photography sells at all (it has become harder, with few magazines left that have any independent editorial content at all) it is through a good story on a novel and interesting aspect of the destination. That is, you'd better be a first class writer as well as a first class photographer, or you'll have to team up with one...
    I have a writer friend who is very good at this... He could write a tome from stick figure cartoons and invented all sorts of stories in the 70s and 80s, some of which were syndicated- and are probably still haunt him today. There are innumerable interesting and obscure subjects to explore in SE Asia- even without being too inventive. I am most certainly not a great writer, and especially at 3am, but this comment was very inspiring. I live in such a dark hole at the moment- you wouldnt think someone would need to re-realize things, such as the power of multi-media, however I just did. I cant wait to find some sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    That's a good attitude. FWIW Amateurs and hacks with good equipment have ALWAYS underbid real pros while I have been a pro (since 1978) and I doubt it started then .
    I was a photographer, professional by definition, in the 1960's when I hung my shingle out as an "architectural photographer". However, to get started, I did have to underbid "real pros", as you suggest, to get started. My initial day rate was $150, while my established friend and mentor was at $500 a day. It all worked out; Morley (Baer) was about to retire, and Architectural Record started sending assignments my way instead of to Morley. Building up that little business was one of the toughest and yet rewarding periods of my life in photography. There were days when the phone did not ring, and then, from an architect, the Redwood Association, Sunset Magazine, the Masonry Institute, or elsewhere, a job would come my way. It was a precarious existence. I admire you, Kirk, for following the dream, and being successful in the profession of architectural photography. It ain't easy!

Thanks Merg. It is true. I came in low too while I was building a portfolio that would show what I could do. What else would you do? Charge the same as the big boys while you have weak work to show? You'd starve.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Initially I, too, sourced my work at a rate which was less than but respectful of the industry standard. During those long periods of self-inflicted "starvation" I worked on my craft, sharpened my marketing skills, fined-tuned my vision, and drank heavily from the cast-iron cup of "never-give-up-never-give-in." I believe strongly in Goethe quote (paraphrasing) that if you dream you can then begin it for boldness has genius, power, and magic.

I am glad i have a day job that pays for all of this film, development, printing and framing. but sometimes i feel sad looking at a sunset on my way back home. I also have film shot a few months ago that need development. heck i need to quit and turn pro.