Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Freelance travel photography??

Freelance travel photography??

Any advice on the best outlets to show your work for sale? Other than through face to face connections, of course. I was just told that a number of publications nearly exclusively buy large format photos. True? I studied photography in Italy many moons ago and have done some professional work however through cameras being repeatedly stolen from me and my interest in too many other things I never kept up. I am now preparing for an extended bit of travel and am considering working on the road(I tend to stick around a place for a while) working for the hotels, maybe real estate agencies, and possibly putting some work out there for general sale as stock photos. Any pointers to sites or links to forum posts discussing the basics would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Freelance travel photography??

The prominence of large format was in the film days. Although there is little doubt that large format's resolution remains better than most digital cameras, image quality from top DSLRs is nowadays considered sufficient for almost all purposes. Witness the number of well-known large format photographers who have switched to digital.

Quote Originally Posted by QT Luong View Post
    The prominence of large format was in the film days. Although there is little doubt that large format's resolution remains better than most digital cameras, image quality from top DSLRs is nowadays considered sufficient for almost all purposes. Witness the number of well-known large format photographers who have switched to digital.
    Whatever.... Im buying 600 bucks of film and a pocket pistol when I get there.
    Too bad that non adjusted pictures win. . . . We'll see how long this lasts.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Witness the number of well-known large format photographers who have switched to digital.
    That's music to my ears baby.

Thomas

What you are talking about has nothing to do with format, they are basic state of the industry questions. You do realize that there are more people than ever trying to make a buck, right?.....and some of them are pretty decent. No matter what you shoot, your deliverables are digital and have been for nearly a decade, unless it is hand printed black and white fine art of course..

I can pretty much choose the medium / format I want to use in most cases, because I have built up that relationship with my clients, they trust my judgement and know that if I am happy using LF on a shoot, then it will likely show in the final product.

It's about talent and building relationships, not format....

Quote Originally Posted by BKLZ View Post
    Whatever.... Im buying 600 bucks of film and a pocket pistol when I get there.
    Too bad that non adjusted pictures win. . . . We'll see how long this lasts.
    Hmmm you ask for advice and get it from a master. You then dismiss it offhand. Good luck.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I was just replying to " I was just told that a number of publications nearly exclusively buy large format photos. True?", since I've don't have personal experience about the rest of your question - I've my own outlet, my website, but at that point, that approach wouldn't work for others.

[QUOTE=BKLZ;994701]. . . I was just told that a number of publications nearly exclusively buy large format photos. True? . . . QUOTE]

There are many people here who know much more about this subject than I do. However, FWIW I vaguely recall reading somewhere that the last magazine of more or less general circulation that used LF images exclusively was Arizona Highways and they stopped some years ago. There certainly could be some special-interest publications that require LF but if so I don't know about them. Maybe someone else does or someone can correct my statement about Arizona Highways.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I do a fair amount of this both on assignment and via stock and no one has mentioned anything vaguely like this in maybe 10 years. And as per real estate photography in LF? Jezz RE photography is very low paying in my experience (compared to architectural photography-at all price points) and would be impossible to make any money shooting LF. You get two hours maybe of run and shoot image making and they want the files tomorrow.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Hmmm you ask for advice and get it from a master. You then dismiss it offhand. Good luck.
    I didnt mean to insult- I was just stating, in my late night way that I was gonna shoot anyway.... and I dont expect to make much if any money. This is a hobby, and I thought that there might be a market for LF photos, especially in the architecture, landscape real of things, which I am interested in anyway. Sorry if I was crude. I was hoping someone would direct me to stock photo sights, etc... and I am sure that digital has all but taken over, however a LF camera can do what basically no DSLR can with its movements and such. The guy who told me publications were buying large format is an old movie guy- a lot of what he has to say is pretty dated.