Thread: Need Help: Cap part (?) for a Sinar Shutter cable release plunger thingy

Need Help: Cap part (?) for a Sinar Shutter cable release plunger thingy

I have a Sinar Shutter and the appropriate cable release... BUT, it seems the "cap" that you push with your thumb has unscrewed and lost itself god-knows-where.

Anyone know of a possible solution or location of such a replacement part? I had another regular cable release that also has a similar cap which I removed, but found the threads incompatible.

Re: Need Help: Cap part (?) for a Sinar Shutter cable release plunger thingy

Buy a couple of boxes of Band-Aids for your thumb???

Take any suitable plastic disc, drill a hole slightly smaller than the threads, and screw the two together.

If the disc you tried has threads close enough to the desired ones, just screw the two together.
    The metal will cut new threads in the plastic.
    Be sure the difference in diameter is small, lest you crack the plastic.

Alternatively, drill a hole in the cap slightly larger than the thread, put in a small dab of JB Weld, then insert the threaded shaft. Allow to dry and you're done.

Most likely buying a replacement cap from Sinar would require a second mortgage on your house, and possibly your firstborn son. They think very highly of their stuff.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Re: Need Help: Cap part (?) for a Sinar Shutter cable release plunger thingy

Happened with one of my favorite cable releases. I found a small black rubber "cork" and the hardware store, cut a section about 1/4 inch long and the bored a very small hole in the center partway through. Two years later, it's even more my favorite because the plunger is so soft.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg