Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just bought some Xtol - any tips/advice?

Just bought some Xtol - any tips/advice?

My first pack of Xtol. I'm going to be running Foma 100 and TMax 100 through it. I'm starting to shoot both those films at ISO 50 as I've been finding my negatives coming out a little dark. Just wondering if anyone has any general advice about using Xtol? Not sure there is anything to reveal but someone out there might have some useful advice!

Re: Just bought some Xtol - any tips/advice?

I shoot all of my film, including TMax 100 as rated by the manufacturer. I develop in x-tol according to manufacturer's instructions and get great results.

David Michael Bigeleisen

retrogrouchy

I shoot Foma 100 at 50 - you can do it at 100 but it becomes quite contrasty by the time you've given it enough development to bring the shadows in. I would expect to get box speed from TMX; I get more than box speed from TMY2 in Xtol.

Xtol 1+1 works great to tame the Foma grain and make up for some of its poor speed. You will need a slightly longer development if you pre-rinse, which you should. I find that if you take the published non-rotary Xtol time and apply it for rotary development with a pre-rinse, it will be pretty close and you can tweak to your content from there.

Don't rotary process with Xtol at higher dilutions than 1+1. You must use distilled or bottled water to make up the stock; the iron in tap-water will kill Xtol in a couple of days - at least it does in Adelaide. You can also make the bag up to 4L instead of 5L which means it has a little less oxygen in it and will theoretically keep a little better; just remember to do 80+120mL instead of 100+100mL to make up your working solution. Store the stock in a mylar bag, i.e. 10L silver-bag-in-box water carton, the same carton you used to make up the stock.

Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    I shoot Foma 100 at 50 - you can do it at 100 but it becomes quite contrasty by the time you've given it enough development to bring the shadows in. I would expect to get box speed from TMX; I get more than box speed from TMY2 in Xtol.

Xtol 1+1 works great to tame the Foma grain and make up for some of its poor speed. You will need a slightly longer development if you pre-rinse, which you should. I find that if you take the published non-rotary Xtol time and apply it for rotary development with a pre-rinse, it will be pretty close and you can tweak to your content from there.

Don't rotary process with Xtol at higher dilutions than 1+1. You must use distilled or bottled water to make up the stock; the iron in tap-water will kill Xtol in a couple of days - at least it does in Adelaide. You can also make the bag up to 4L instead of 5L which means it has a little less oxygen in it and will theoretically keep a little better; just remember to do 80+120mL instead of 100+100mL to make up your working solution. Store the stock in a mylar bag, i.e. 10L silver-bag-in-box water carton, the same carton you used to make up the stock.
    Awesome, thank you. Actually looking at my TMX sheet I developed the other day, it does look a fair bit lighter than the Foma. I wonder if I should just run that at box speed. I'll do some tests this weekend but the Foma definitely needs more exposure than 100. 50 seems to work quite nicely.

I'm using BTZS tubes for my processing these days and have been using D76 at 1+1 so thought Xtol would probably work as well. I've seen talk of 1+2 but I shall heed your advice. Plus I'll grab a few litres of Evian tomorrow to mix it up!

Thanks again!

I just started using xtol the other day too, I always rate my film at box speed regardless of developer. Xtol develops more midtones than other developers so your highlights won't get blown completely out. What polygot said, used distilled water to make up your 5 liters and then store in brown plastic 1 gallon and quart container, glass if you prefer. I use an electric roller base for my film and it comes out great!

I've been using Xtol for years, and started mixing in tap water before anyone told me otherwise. Never had a problem. You should be able to get at least 6 months storage from your stock solutions if you use opaque containers filled to the brim.

As stated earlier, Xtol gives pretty close to box speed for most films. FWIW, I rate TMX at 80 and tray develop at 1+2.

Quote Originally Posted by welly View Post
    My first pack of Xtol. I'm going to be running Foma 100 and TMax 100 through it. I'm starting to shoot both those films at ISO 50 as I've been finding my negatives coming out a little dark. Just wondering if anyone has any general advice about using Xtol? Not sure there is anything to reveal but someone out there might have some useful advice!
    When you say your negatives are too dark...do you mean that they are too dense and your prints are too light or, do you really mean that the resulting prints are too dark and your negatives are thin?

Quote Originally Posted by C_Remington View Post
    When you say your negatives are too dark...do you mean that they are too dense and your prints are too light or, do you really mean that the resulting prints are too dark and your negatives are thin?
    Actually to my eye, the negatives look fine but I literally have nothing to compare them against as my 4x5 negatives are the only ones I've ever seen. I only say they look dark as they always scan dark. Of course, it could be my scanner needs profiling which is a different subject! But when I look at the negatives there are both dark areas and light areas, and occasionally areas that look almost transparent. I wouldn't say any look especially "thin" though. But perhaps they are, who knows! I have nothing to compare them against!

I'm using my second batch of Xtol. My film is Delta 100 at 100. I find temperature is a critical factor and there is not even a 2 degree variance allowance.

I would agree that the mid-tones are rendered fuller and more pleasingly and box speed is where Delta at least, should be shot.

Quote Originally Posted by welly View Post
    Actually to my eye, the negatives look fine but I literally have nothing to compare them against as my 4x5 negatives are the only ones I've ever seen. I only say they look dark as they always scan dark. Of course, it could be my scanner needs profiling which is a different subject! But when I look at the negatives there are both dark areas and light areas, and occasionally areas that look almost transparent. I wouldn't say any look especially "thin" though. But perhaps they are, who knows! I have nothing to compare them against!
    Have a look here:

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/as...negatives-4682