Thread: Self Timer / Shutter Release on a Linhof Tech

Self Timer / Shutter Release on a Linhof Tech

hello everyone...

a real quick question, with what i hope will be a real simple answer. there are times when i'd like to use a self timer like the ones shown below in place of my cable release. i am using a 110 super symmar xl, 150 sironar-s, and 240 fujinon-a all on technika boards.

there is very little room between the cable release attachment point on the lens and the lens board - so much so that i at times have had trouble attaching the release! i was wondering if it was possible to use one of these self timer devices on my lenses, or if there isn't adequate clearance between the attach point and the board.

the timers i'm referring to are the following:

http://www.adorama.com/CZST.html?searchinfo=self%20timer&item_no=1

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=AeWBhFaE8a!-1975602806?ci=1&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=SearchBar&A=search&Q=*&shs=self+timer

do these things work? i've read that they can at times be damaging to the shutter release mechanism... is there any truth to that?

thanks! scott

Scott,

Calumet sells a short fexible cable release extender (for use with recessed boards) that should be just the ticket.

To answer the other half of your question. Yes, they work at least I can vouch for the one made by Prontor but I know nothing about the ones you are referencing cept that they are a lot less expensive than the Prontor.

" the one made by Prontor"

Prontor long exposure timer?

Not made any more and it was not a self-timer.

Bob,

I meant the Prontor self timer ..... looks a little like the long exposure timer but is a self timer that can be set for 5-10-15 second delay. I don't beleive it is made anymore either.

I bought one, but it buzzed like a chain saw - I returned it before I could find out how soft it would make my negatives.

The little one's that your talking about work fine... but as Phil states, they do make quite the racket. I have never seen and degradation because as the buzzing quits, the shutter is released. A bit disconcerning even so. I would get one of those extenders that Jim is referring to. It is a 45 degree swivel attachment that you screw into the cable socket. The other alternative is to get an air cable. These are usually 20' or so with an airbulb at the end that you can either step on to trigger or have in your hand to squeeze. You will definitely need an extender because there is a large connection cylinder on the air bulb.