Thread: Ground glass by J. Deardorff

Ground glass by J. Deardorff

I recently purchased what was supposed to be an original ground glass from a Deardorff 8x10 camera. The original ground glass from these cameras that I've seen (and one that I owned) all said "L.F. Deardorff and Sons, Inc. Chicago, Illinois" or something close to that on them. This one says "J. Deardorff Photographic Products International" at one end and "DPPI, Aurora, Illinois" at the other. Does anyone know who or what "J. Deardorff/DPPI" was (one of the Deardorff sons maybe?) and what relation, if any, his ground glass had to Deardorff 8x10 cameras? I paid a premium for this ground glass with the idea that it was original to the camera and I'm inclinded to return it if it isn't but I'd like to know more about it before doing that. Unfortunately the seller (Glenview)hasn't responded to any of my e mail inquiries about the ground glass.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Sorry, the "category" wasn't supposed to show as "Labs, Commercial," it was supposed to be "Focusing, Screens." Maybe one of the moderators can make the correction.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be

I recently purchased what was supposed to be an original ground glass from a Deardorff 8x10 camera. The original ground glass from these cameras that I've seen (and one that I owned) all said "L.F. Deardorff and Sons, Inc. Chicago, Illinois" or something close to that on them. This one says "J. Deardorff Photographic Products International" at one end and "DPPI, Aurora, Illinois" at the other. Does anyone know who or what "J. Deardorff/DPPI" was (one of the Deardorff sons maybe?) and what relation, if any, his ground glass had to Deardorff 8x10 cameras? I paid a premium for this ground glass with the idea that it was original to the camera and I'm inclinded to return it if it isn't but I'd like to know more about it before doing that. Unfortunately the seller (Glenview)hasn't responded to any of my e mail inquiries about the ground glass.

--Brian Ellis, 2004-05-09 08:46 AM >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Jack Deardorfff has formed a new company called Deardorff Photographic Products International. He did this after the origanl company disappeared in the late 1980s/early 1990s. He can't use the orignal company name because it was sold. He formed the new company several years ago but only has activity sporadically. This is probably one of his groundglass pieces.

steve simmons

Octogenarian

Steve,

With all due respects, It's not necessary to repeat the entire question when you make a response on this forum. Perhaps some of the forums you participate in require that type of repetition. This one doesn't.

Thanks for the information Steve.
    Brian Ellis