Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perversions of Process

Perversions of Process

The recent thread on cropping prompts me to expand that question into a new topic. We went from a simple query about cropping after the exposure to the aggravation of having others crop your work. Which seems pretty cruel (yes I know its not unusual and I know commercial work is all about money and I could crop my pic to fit their layout if needed but do THEY have to do it for me?) Anyway, would you crop your kids kindergarten drawing to make it look better?

I think advertsing work might be one example, where the disconnect between "what I saw and photographed and want to show you" and the desire of the clients to have the photographer execute their hackneyed, committee decided, market driven idea illustrated in a way to appeal to the target audience. The pay is good, but boy is it a horrible perversion of my version of a natural photographic process. And I'll admit I've done a fair amount of working/hoping for more of this work to come to me, but less and less as time goes by.

Or from a slightly different angle, I find that the entire train of seeing, recording on film and then printing on paper and delivering that to another human is "right and proper". On the other hand, I am left somewhat chilled by the proposition of shooting perfect chromes, delivering digital files for repro in a catalog, or sending in raw film to be edited by others as the finished work. I've done all this and will do some of them again but the difference in feeling is immense to me.

I really like to make "my" picture and hold it and agree with myself that I made what I had visualized and made it well. Maybe hand it to someone and have them like it as much as I do or even give me money because they like it enough to keep it. Which probaly explains why I like working for architects and handing them nice photos of their work. At the same time I enjoy giving for free the next door neighbors a photo of their baby just as much if not more.

I suppose my question says a lot about how I feel and think about photography and might not make sense to others. And I certainly mean no offense to anyone who sees it or does it differently.

Anyway here's the question - What do you think are the most harmful, perverting things that occur in your photographic process?

Or maybe the flip side - what is your most favorite way to do your photography? What makes your process sing for you?

I'll stop babbling now......

Perversions of Process

I missed the thread on image hacking. But be aware that ads are made by graphic designers. They use a mix of text, graphics, and photographs to create a collage. This is meant to capture attention and present the product to an audience. Thats what advertising is all about.. has nothing to do with corporate power plotting to surpress the creativity of photographers.

Perversions of Process

If you do it for creative reasons where you are the only and ultimate judge of quality then you are an artist. If you are performing a function to meet the needs of someone else then it's a job. Why get so reved up over this? When you are hired to execute someone's "hackneyed, committee decided, market driven idea" you are doing a job for them.

Think of it this way, if you hire someone to paint your house white you expect them to paint it white. What if the painter were to chastise you for your poor taste in color, chide you for not fitting into the aura of the neighborhood, etc. Had you hired an architect or a designer you would welcome the input, but you hired a painter.

As photographers we tend to think of ourselves as the artist and the creative mind. If you want work you'll paint the house white.

Perversions of Process

I look at this this way: If making a photograph for someone else is like writing ad copy, then making a photograph for yourself is like writing poetry.

Its two different things. If you are doing the latter, there shouldn't be anything "perverting" the photographic process. If you are working for someone else, you use your creativity and talent to do a good job for them.

Perversions of Process

Good points, and it should be noted that apparently authors have the same problems with publishers butchering their work, leaving things out (cropping) and changing things. Ditto musicians not producing their own recordings.

I suppose getting paid is critical, but I can imagine how professionals become frustrated by knowing that what was presented to the public eye was not what they envisioned, or all it could have been. I've seen a lot of nice LF color images bleeding out to the page edges on coffee table books (very liberal cropping) and it hurts the image.

From an amatuer perspective, friends will offer up different suggestions for cropping, contrast, color balance, and such, and occasionally their ideas result in a better image than what I have envisioned.

RJ

Perversions of Process

I love creating images. There is nothing more rewarding for me. I love teaching adult students who really want to learn from you. I hate the selling, marketing, p.r.ing, negotiating prices, collecting money, pretending that I like you or find you interesting because you might buy a print etc. etc. ad nauseum that goes with making a living in this business. I hate university students who are only in your class to get another 3 credits. I hate dust. I hate wind. I love the shiver that goes up your spine when a composition comes together on the ground glass. I love it when I get an assignment next to somewhere truely interesting, that I have wanted to photograph for years, and I can go on their dime. I love it when the checks show up in the mail so I can pay some bills or buy some equipment.

I love a full tank of gas and a cooler full of unexposed film holders, a few days off and some storm clouds on the horizon, with no where in particular to go. Just go forth and follow the light.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Perversions of Process

My hat's off to Darin and Dave. Beautifully written! I have been a commercial/professional photographer over 30 years and have shot thousands of assignments. If I had as thin of a skin as I sense on many of the replies to similar questions on this forum, I probably would have jumped off Half Dome long ago. Frankly, I could care less what an Art Director does with my "art" as long as the check clears. I make my suggestions but, it's ultimately someone else's decision.

My day job as a photographer with a major daily newspaper deals with editors and graphic artists every day. I put my .02 in but again, if the check clears every other week, well, it's their paper.

As my idol Ansel once said, assignments from "within" are a different story. My feeling is that when someone purchases one of my prints, they agree with "me" this time. If they consider it "art", God bless them... as long as the check clears. Last year I sold a set of prints to a buyer in Southern California that flew me, at his expense, to his framer for me to "supervise" the framing and then the hanging of them in his home and office. He called me an artist but to me is was a nice sale and affirmation of my personal vision and style of photography.

To some it may seem cold but I've never been able to put "artist" on a deposit slip. You are only an artist if others see you as such. Too many photographers proclaim themselves as artists but I guess that is another discussion entirely.

My suggestion to anyone reading this thread is stop worrying about things you can't control. Develop a thicker skin and don't take everything personally. Stop shooting test charts, worrying about brands or sweating MTF curves and get out and start making images. If Ansel and Edward could do it with their equipment, what's our excuse. Let others decide if you're an artist or not. Your images will speak for themselves.

Happy shooting!

Perversions of Process

Now my hat's off to Kirk! Ditto, Ditto, Ditto!

It's all about getting through the drudge of business to carve out those precious days of personal shooting isn't it?

Perversions of Process

Anyway here's the question - What do you think are the most harmful, perverting things that occur in your photographic process? Or maybe the flip side - what is your most favorite way to do your photography? What makes your process sing for you?

If I must answer about process, the biggest perversion is trying to please someone.

Have you guessed I don’t make money at this? Hey, all you guys making money: $mile!

I like to make money too and I can provide what makes someone happy. That is not harmful or perverting, why that is not even photography to me! I’ve done it a few dozen times; I prefer plumbing. It pays better, the tools are cheaper, the hours are better and I am saving water instead of wasting it.

The best thing about the process is the surprise. Surprise is something you don’t want when you are trying to please a specific set of demands. I like the revelation that something I was attracted to for no particular reason turns out to continue to attract me as an image, for hours and years to come. If someone else likes it, that is a bonus, another surprise!

Cheers!

Perversions of Process

as a copy editor and layout designer i say to all you thenthetive photogs and moody writers... eat my shorts.

as an ex-thenthetive photog and moody writer i say, why the hell do you think i became an editor/designer?

so i din't have to put up with people like me,

me

p.s. i tried doing IT for a living. IT gave me ulcers.

p.p.s. dear gawd, what have i become?