Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: beginners luck - thank you!

beginners luck - thank you!

Dear all,

I am an enthusiastic amateur landscape photographer from Minnesota who decided a year ago to move up from 35mm to a larger format. After considering the merits of medium vs. large format, I decided that I wanted the image quality of 4x5 and set about researching my next move. After poring through the excellent books by Steve Simmons and Jack Dykinga and reading just about every thread on this forum, I decided to take the plunge. With the luxury of a decent savings account courtesy of selling prints from my Epson Stylus 2200, I was able to buy equipment that I hope will never have to be upgraded.

With the help of Jim at Midwest Photo Exchange, I purchased an Ebony 45S in mahogany (for the weight savings), Schneider 110XL and Fujinon 240 A lenses, Gitzo 1327 tripod and Bogen 329RC4 head, Lowepro Pro Trekker backpack, Toyo focusing loupe, Blackjacket darkcloth, and Fuji Quickload holder. I spent last weekend hiking around Minnesota's North Shore and held my breath when I delivered 7 Velvia quickloads for processing. Well, I got them back yesterday and was delighted to find that each sheet was properly exposed and in sharp focus! I feel like I got away with something, almost as though it shouldn't have been this easy.

I was pleasantly surprised by several aspects of my experience. First, the camera was MUCH easier to operate than I expected. The movements were simple and intuitive, and the 45S and these lenses clearly have way more movement potential than I am likely to need in landscape photography. To illustrate, I was surprised at how little tilt was required to render sharp focus throughout most scenes. Second, my Minolta Maxxum 7 and cheap Tamron 28-200 lens turned out to be an excellent light meter and viewfinder. It's nice to have the option of matrix metering in appropriate situations, and the 200mm setting provides a nice, tight spot meter. Third, the more "boxy" aspect ratio of 4x5 made the 110XL seem much wider than I expected - more like what I expected to see from a 90mm lens. Fourth, there's something magical and addicting about viewing a scene on the groundglass under the darkcloth. I also learned not to do this for too long on a cold morning as a layer of frost gradually snuck up on the groundglass while I was composing.

I'd like to thank those of you who have contributed to this forum because your comments have allowed me to figure out how to use an entirely manual camera system that I had never even seen in person until it arrived in my living room. I'll post an image when I get one worth of being scanned by the Epson 4870 I hope to buy in a few weeks. I am moving to Laramie, Wyoming in August where I will have ample opportunities to photograph in my favorite part of the country. I look forward to being an active contributor to this forum in the future as I continue to gain experience and learn from your continued words of wisdom.

Best Regards,

Brett Deacon

Octogenarian

Good job, Brett,

You followed the most logical path, purchased the proper equipment from the right source, and ended up with a wonderful result. I wish everyone would follow that path. Your journey is just beginning. Enjoy every moment of it.

I mean this in the nicest possible way...

I HATE YOU.

Now that that is out of the way, happy shooting.

As a counterpoint to Brett's enthusiastic post (I applaud you, Brett), I just botched up a bunch of 5x7 negs on a scene that probably shouldn't have had a lens turned on it in the first place, taken through a half-century-old lens on my equally old Linhof, balanced on my Joe Six Pack Bogen. I think I've sold one print in my life, and the proceeds from that wouldn't have bought me a lens cap. Brett, happy shooting, enjoy your Ebony and may all your photo experiences be as successful as the ones you just described.

Brett,

...way to go! We'll all look forward to seeing some of your images posted.

If you want to test the limits of your camera try experimenting with some table top setups. I think you will find the need for movements a lot more extreme than those used out in the field for landscapes. At the end of the day, it's a fun learning experience and will give you something to do when the weather outdoors is downright miserable!

Good luck on future outings!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Brett, you are one smart man. I am very glad that you and others like you can benefit from information given freely by people who care about making good images.

I have friends who visit other forums on other topics and they are amazed to learn of how supportive and informative this one is as compared to the stuff they must sift through. I think we are our own best friends when someone like Brett can make an easy entrance into the field we all enjoy so much. One more fellow finds the magic. The field expands and more people see (and hopefully support) large format photography.

Welcome!

I took my first *real* outing with my 45 on the North Shore as well . . . . only in the month of february. What a fun experience it was squatting on one slippery ice covered smooth rock to shoot another while the wind beat the bejesus out of me. My poor old 1947 shutter became too froze up to use in about 15 minutes out there, but that was ok since I had quit functioning as well. Least I got one good image.

That makes me cold just looking at it.

Luckily I haven't had to endure such cold locations. Here is one taken a few months after I got my RW45. Fort Jefferson, in the Dry Tortugas. About as south as you can get and still be in the United States!

I was there summer 2002! What a wonderful place! I only wish I had been into photography then--all I had was a disposable Kodak (which I used while snorkeling around the abandoned docks around the island). I remember sitting in the corner of the dungeon where the doctor that treated John Wilkes Booth was imprisoned . . .

Get any other shots?