Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you work directly from your pack, or from a ground tarp?

Do you work directly from your pack, or from a ground tarp?

When setting up landscape shots, I’ve just about always pulled needed gear & accessories from my pack and spread them across a poncho on the ground.

Usually, the poncho is spread a little behind my right shoulder – not directly behind me – and far enough away so I don’t step on it as I maneuver around my tripod.

On the poncho goes my meter, filters & filter holder, adaptor rings, shade, level, notebook & pencil, etc. (Usually, I’ll keep film holders in the pack until I need them.) Often, I’ll pull a portion of the poncho back over some of the exposed gear for protection from direct sun, occasional drops & drizzle, and other air-borne debris. (In my region, it’s astonishing how much debris falls from tall trees in the course of 15 or 30 minutes.) If the breeze picks up, a few rocks or limbs keep the poncho in place.

Come to think of it, I don’t think I’ve ever worked directly from my pack, start to finish, for all my needs – but if I shot more often in hostile environments, or in very tight places, or had to hurry more often than I like, I just might.

Generally, are you a pack, tarp, or “other” person – and does it depend from shot to shot?

Re: Do you work directly from your pack, or from a ground tarp?

I'm a hybrid person. I usually pull out only the things I think I'll need. In the city, I try to keep everything in my pack and hang the pack from the tripod hook.
    Never is always wrong; always is never right.

www.LostManPhoto.com
    www.MarkStahlkePhotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    When setting up landscape shots, I’ve just about always pulled needed gear & accessories from my pack and spread them across a poncho on the ground.
    You and I have exactly the opposite approach. I work directly out of my pack. If there's a nice rock available I may rest the bottom of my pack on the rock. Else, I rest the pack on the raised toe of my boot while I unlash the tripod, then I put the pack back on while I set up the tripod. Then I hang my pack from the tripod hook and work from there.

Everything I need comes out of the pack in order and is assembled on the tripod or hung from the hook with the pack. Everything goes back in, in the reverse order that it came out.

Why do I work like this? Dirt. My goal is to work as cleanly as possible. So I try to never let anything touch the ground.

I'm not saying anyone else should do it like this. But it works for me.

Bruce Watson

I work directly out of my pack and vest but I do have a large plastic garbage bag that I put my pack on if the ground is wet.

When I work out of my pack, I do it one of two ways:

The pack is resting in my jogging stroller
    The pack is placed on a space blanket that I spread on the ground to keep the pack clean and dry

Lachlan 717

I work from my pack, generally laid out on the ground. However, I also have a large bum-bag/fanny-pack (the latter being a very funny concept to non-Seppo's!!) that holds all of my filters, meter, spare parts etc, that I hang from my tripod.

I have found this additional bag highly useful, given I shoot 3 different formats. I no longer need to "think" about what I need to grab when I change formats/packs. I just grab this bum-bag, knowing everything's in it.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Pack.

If a pack, whatever it may actually be, is even moderately organized, then there's no point in, essentially, making camp. I'm not in one spot for more than ten minutes, I've exposed the film, and I move on. (Actually, ten minutes is stretching it.) I usually don't carry anything but the minimum for the film I'm using. If it's an infrared outing, then the only filters are a B+W 092 and a polarizer. B&W or color, it's just a few filters. I carry two lenses. If I'm using the 8x10, then I'm most likely a few feet away from the vehicle instead of a few miles down a trail. (Yes, camera weight dictates behavior.)
    I suppose I got into the minimalist habit because of my Super Graphic. A folding camera, one lens inside, a few holders, an adequate tripod, and time to go.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

I have all my filtration, my meter, a folding pruner and my timer on a police gear belt in pouches. The filtration includes a pouch with Lee Holder, 5 adapter rings and 9 acrylic filters. Six more small pouches hold 3 circular filters each. I snap the belt on and everything is a fingertip reach..

My pack for the 8x10 is a front-panel loader. So it goes on the ground, opened up all the way, and everything right there for use. Part of the pack is a piece of closed cell foam (backpacking pad -- seen above the pack in the second image) that things,including my butt, can be set on if the ground is damp, snow, pointy rocks, etc. Holders (5) are in the detachable daypack/front pocket of the pack -- and occasionally a couple extra inside for all-day hikes.

There are long external side pockets I can use for water and food (tucked out of sight when not in use).

For the 4x5 and 5x7, I have been carrying the cameras on the tripod and a over-the-shoulder bag for everything else...nothing except the tripod feet need to go on the ground. I put the darkcloth over the camera and a waterproof sleeping bag stuff sack over that...this protects the bellows and lens from branches and rain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PackExterior.jpg   PackInterior.jpg  

Florida is flat (& wet). I carry both of my LF cameras (8X10 & 7X17) in Pelican cases, which are then strapped to top of a modified jogging cart. When I open the case, I have a perfect working area at knee+ height.
    van Huyck Photography
    "Searching for the moral justification for selfishness" JK Galbraith