PDA

View Full Version : PM submittal... unreasonable delay

Leigh
8-Feb-2013, 18:00
The forum requires a delay of sixty seconds between PM submittals. This is ludicrous.

If I'm sending one-line replies to half a dozen PMs, why should I waste six minutes doing so?

It makes the PM system relatively useless for real correspondence.

Yes, I've heard all the stuff about bots auto-posting, so it's fine to throttle posting of new PMs, but
that should not apply to responses.

- Leigh

rdenney
8-Feb-2013, 22:17
I just looked through the settings, and the floodcheck value is actually 30 seconds, as recommended by the folks who write the vBulletin software. That setting is the minimum time between posts, and I don't see any configuration settings that distinguish between new posts and responses to other posts in the software interface. Maybe Tom Westbrook knows of something else, but I think that's what we are limited to. We do not do custom programming on the software--that would unacceptably increase the configuration management workload.

I can't resist adding that I've received and written hundreds and hundreds of PMs, and I think the repeat post limit is something I've seen maybe once or twice. For me, at least, it hardly renders the PM system "relatively useless for real correspondence." Maybe I type slow.

Rick "reviewing the control panel with hands in pockets" Denney

Leigh
8-Feb-2013, 22:22
Rick,

I'm not talking about posts, I'm talking about Private Messages, as clearly stated in the OP.

The delay is not 30 seconds, it's 60, so the parameter you looked at is not the correct one.

This has nothing to do with "custom programming". It's just a system setting.

- Leigh

rdenney
8-Feb-2013, 22:34
Yes, I found it in a different spot. It is 60 seconds. We'll discuss whether that could be shortened.

Yes, I've heard all the stuff about bots auto-posting, so it's fine to throttle posting of new PMs, but
that should not apply to responses.

Your suggestion was to have no limit for responses versus throttling on fresh PMs. That is NOT a system setting, and it would require custom programming; hence, my response. There is no distinction in the configuration settings between inital posts and responses.

Rick "taking this to the other mods" Denney

Vaughn
8-Feb-2013, 22:39
It may not be of any use for you, but it is possible to BCC many people in the same PM if the message is the same.

Vaughn

Leigh
8-Feb-2013, 22:41
Hi Rick,

I was afraid there would be only one setting, not distinguishing replies from new submittals.

That's unfortunate.

I'm VERY familiar with all aspects of system software development and maintenance.
I was not suggesting doing any custom s/w. I hoped it would be a simple setting change. Oh well.

Thanks.

- Leigh

Leigh
8-Feb-2013, 22:45
Vaughn,

Your suggestion would not have worked in this particular situation, but it's good info for the future.

Thank you.

- Leigh

Lachlan 717
9-Feb-2013, 00:00
And I thought that the starving of the world had it tough. Thanks for putting such a clear perspective on how hard life can actually be.

Tebbiebear
9-Feb-2013, 02:11
And I thought that the starving of the world had it tough. Thanks for putting such a clear perspective on how hard life can actually be.

I have to say I am getting pretty sick of this whole "first world problems" stuff. The idea that because there are sick or starving people in the world that anyone in the "first world" can't or shouldn't complain about anything EVER is completely ridiculous. To my mind its one step away from Godwins Law and should be treated as such.

One of the things that has made this world so amazing is the old maxim of "necessity is the mother of invention". If you have a problem try and figure out a solution, if you can't then air your grievance and perhaps others can help fix it. Anthropologists actually hypothesize that this group problem solving is what allowed Homo Sapiens to thrive whilst the less group based Neanderthals died out. The hipster "first world problem" crowd would, I guess, rather have us ignore the "small" issues of our day to day lives because others in the world are worse off.

I think that in the grand scheme of things that increasing the ease of all communication, even so humble as that of a large format photo internet forum, is a very good thing. One never knows when or where or how the next "big thing" that changes the world will come about.

Pete Watkins
9-Feb-2013, 02:22
Let's all remember what we pay to use this forum.
Pete.

Ed Bray
9-Feb-2013, 02:23
And here was I thinking that a slower methodical approach was the domain of the Large Format Photographer. :p

Pawlowski6132
9-Feb-2013, 04:57

I'm with you.

Michael_4514
9-Feb-2013, 05:33
+1, my thoughts exactly.

gleaf
9-Feb-2013, 06:19
Married to a 70 wpm no error typist. I understand the flyers frustration with biplane speed in the jet age. Test system programmer by trade,
"You need WHAT speed!?"
"Never thought of that."

BrianShaw
9-Feb-2013, 11:59
..., why should I waste six minutes doing so?

You're time sounds much mroe valuable than mine! :rolleyes:

BrianShaw
9-Feb-2013, 12:03
I have to say I am getting pretty sick of this whole "first world problems" stuff. The idea that because there are sick or starving people in the world that anyone in the "first world" can't or shouldn't complain about anything EVER is completely ridiculous. To my mind its one step away from Godwins Law and should be treated as such.

One of the things that has made this world so amazing is the old maxim of "necessity is the mother of invention". If you have a problem try and figure out a solution, if you can't then air your grievance and perhaps others can help fix it. Anthropologists actually hypothesize that this group problem solving is what allowed Homo Sapiens to thrive whilst the less group based Neanderthals died out. The hipster "first world problem" crowd would, I guess, rather have us ignore the "small" issues of our day to day lives because others in the world are worse off.

I think that in the grand scheme of things that increasing the ease of all communication, even so humble as that of a large format photo internet forum, is a very good thing. One never knows when or where or how the next "big thing" that changes the world will come about.

Hi... welcome to the forum. Great first post!

rdenney
10-Feb-2013, 11:29
We changed the floodcheck value for private messages to match that of regular posts, which cut the previous minimum time between PMs in half. Let's give that a try for now and see how it goes.

Folks, this was a reasonable request irrespective of the relative problems of the third and first worlds--I can see where someone selling a hot item might need to send a bunch of "item already sold" posts to a series of PMs. We made the change on the basis of that use case.

Rick "who can't figure why the vBulletin default settings would provide different floodcheck values for posts and PMs" Denney

Ed Bray
10-Feb-2013, 12:03
We changed the floodcheck value for private messages to match that of regular posts, which cut the previous minimum time between PMs in half. Let's give that a try for now and see how it goes.

Folks, this was a reasonable request irrespective of the relative problems of the third and first worlds--I can see where someone selling a hot item might need to send a bunch of "item already sold" posts to a series of PMs. We made the change on the basis of that use case.

Rick "who can't figure why the vBulletin default settings would provide different floodcheck values for posts and PMs" Denney

If only some members were that courteous.

Kirk Gittings
10-Feb-2013, 13:55

To the contrary I find spending time in the third world or even in less fortunate areas of this country (something I try to do periodically) puts my life in perspective and helps me to not obsess over things that are not really important. Some of the great experiences of my life from a personal assessment POV have come from such experiences.

cosmicexplosion
10-Feb-2013, 15:01
@ tebbiebear

Why in a communication about inclusion
Would you say the hipster first world problems
As if all whinging in first world is only from hipsters. The single most ridiculous sentence I've read on this forum.
Do you really believe in what you'r saying. Do you really want to communicate or just get your erroneous perspective accepted. If so try less divisive language.

To some people I'm a hipster
I am first world arty type who is different from the crowd.
I also grew up one of six kids on a govt pension in Tasmania became ward of the state and lived on the streets.
You could say I had a third world upbringing.
So when people judge me I can only laugh at there middle class tv baby upbringing. Members of the thrown away society.
Those who work hard to buy stuff to throw it away or put it in storage.
I have been incarcerated for environmental activism. Tying myself to tractors etc

evan clarke
10-Feb-2013, 17:38
FWIW, The OP is the only person I've ever put on ignore..

Leigh
10-Feb-2013, 17:44
Thank you, Rick and the other mods. That's certainly an improvement.

- Leigh