PDA

View Full Version : Making your own parts for enlargers

Ed Eubanks
1-May-2004, 15:09
Hi Guys,
I recently got an (almost complete) Omega D-3V enlarger, and I'm trying to fill out the parts list I will need to get it working. I'm going to be buying some of the parts directly from Harry at Classic-Enlargers.com, but some of these parts are quite expensive for something so simple.
Here's my question: has anyone used a machine shop to have such parts (like lens boards, etc.) made more inexpensively than buying the manufacturer's part?
If so, here is some follow-up inquiry: what considerations need to be taken to make it work? For example, I read a fairly recent post where someone suggested that drilling, instead of punching, a hole in a camera lens board might warp the board. Are similar factors at play for an enlarger, or is this curtailed because of added thickness for the board?
I am sure there are other factors which I have no idea about, since I have no experience as a machinist, even at a novice level. Some of you do, however, so I appeal to your knowledge for help in saving the bucks!!!Thanks in advance.

Nick_3536
1-May-2004, 15:31
I'd be suprised if a one off from a machine shop would be cheaper then buying a factory made part. I'd be really suprised if it would be cheaper then buying a used part. Depending on what you need it might be cheaper to buy a second whole enlarger and use your current one for spare parts. 4x5 enlargers aren't selling for that much on the used market.

The other option is to consider sources other then classic enlargers.

http://www.khbphotografix.com/

I don't know what parts you need but they might be cheaper.

Garry Teeple
1-May-2004, 20:18
Flat lens boards can be fashioned from flat aluminum or Masonite. Either is easy to work with hand tools. If you need a lens cone then that will take more work but they can also be fashioned from flat aluminum stock and a section of plastic pipe to get the correct spacing. Tracks are the main problem, it took me a while to find an 80mm track. I got my D3V at a university auction for $15 complete with a flat lensboard, 135mm lens cone and tracks to match. Sometimes you just have to be patient.

Garry Teeple

wfwhitaker
1-May-2004, 21:45
Ed,

Punching a metal lens board is more likely to distort it than drilling (boring, actually). Boring can be done on a lathe or a vertical mill. But that requires the services of a machinist. And as Nick commented, having a machine shop fabricate parts will likely cost a lot more than the equivalent used parts. Shops have minimum charges and tend not to look favorably on very small jobs anyway. S.K. Grimes (http://www.skgrimes.com) does offer machine services and are familiar with the issues unique to photography. I would highly recommend you consider them. Otherwise used parts do show up on Ebay, even for the D3.

I have a 4" lens cone for the Omega D3 which is yours for the cost of postage, if you like. Contact me off-line if you're interested.

Best,
Will

Garry Teeple
2-May-2004, 06:38
I've used a hole saw and drilled a Wista metal lens board for a #00 shutter with no problem. I've also enlarged the hole in an Omega lens board from 25mm to 39mm on a lathe. I can see no way that this would cause stress to the lens board. I think that punching the cast Wista lens board would be a problem as it is very soft metal and would surely distort under the pressure. I've been in machine design for over 30 years and seen people do some really stupid tricks that worked for them.

Conrad Hoffman
2-May-2004, 11:36
Garry has a point- lots of people do things that make me shudder, but it works for them. I make just about everything I need in terms of spare parts and modifications, but I have a small lathe and mill/drill. I've even made very servicable focusing tracks. They have to be close, but not perfect, since I'd never consider making a print without touching up the focus just prior to exposure. As said above, sheet aluminim is easy to work with hand tools- hack saw, files, drills, and the entire D3 is pretty much sheet stock. I have an Automega D3 if you need specific advice or help.

jnantz
2-May-2004, 21:32
hi ed -

i would definately check out http://www.khbphotografix.com/. they also sell omega "stuff" and would be able to fabricate parts if you need them. their prices are very good, and กก they believe in customer service !!

if you have a bunch of formats you want to print or more than one lense you want to use for your 4x5 printing, you might consider getting what was once called the variable bellows attachment or something like that. it is like a bellows-cone which was originally used to give you extension to make jewel prints. i gave up on cones and just use this - haven't a complaint in 16 years :)