PDA

View Full Version : One inkset working on multiple printers advice needed

bob carnie
2-Feb-2013, 12:45
Presently we own two machines.. Cannon IPF 9000 and Epson 7800

We are upgrading to a couple of different units and manufacturer is not important, but what is very important is the costs of Ink Cartridges that feed both printers.
We would like to profile both units to the same inksets and papers to give us flexibility day to day.

We were looking at a big Epson and mid size Epson upgrade and funny enough they use different ink sets.
Then we looked at the Cannon IPF line to upgrade and funny enough they also use different ink sets from our current Cannon.
Whether this is a cruel marketing ploy or just the manufactures way of pissing off their clients I am not sure.

Does anyone here have experience modifying current model units to one specific Ink sets, would this cause havoc with the warranty of said machines.
I seem to remember Cone Editions being able to do exactly this, but I am wary of the repercussions with the manufacture when service is required.

thoughts??

paulr
2-Feb-2013, 13:01
I read on Jon Cone's blog that he's been working on Canon printers for the first time. Maybe shoot him an email?

Lenny Eiger
2-Feb-2013, 20:52
Presently we own two machines.. Cannon IPF 9000 and Epson 7800

We are upgrading to a couple of different units and manufacturer is not important, but what is very important is the costs of Ink Cartridges that feed both printers.
We would like to profile both units to the same inksets and papers to give us flexibility day to day.

I don't see how this would work. Different machines will have different droplet sizes, different voltages to the piezo's, I don't see how they could match exactly. I wouldn't expect them to, anyway. I suppose its possible, but it would be a matter of luck, IMO.

Does anyone here have experience modifying current model units to one specific Ink sets, would this cause havoc with the warranty of said machines.
I seem to remember Cone Editions being able to do exactly this, but I am wary of the repercussions with the manufacture when service is required.

In the US we have a law that precludes any manufacturer from determining what you put in a piece of equipment. It is called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, circa 1975, protects you from losing your warranty. A car company can not tell you what kind of gas to use, either.

Search for these words "magnuson-moss warranty act inkjet" in your browser and you will get plenty of links. This was a link to a forum about whether or not it applied in Canada. Sounds like, maybe... http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=31972.0

Back when I had Epsons, I had the tech come over here, the "best in the Bay Area" supposedly, and he told me that we would find all sorts of grit when we opened up the damper. To his surprise, the Cone ink had left the damper squeaky clean. He had previously told me we would have to get Epson ink in there before he would fix anything. Thankfully, he was a big enough person to admit he was in the wrong and we proceeded to do what was needed to fix the thing.

Good luck,

Lenny

bob carnie
3-Feb-2013, 07:06
Thanks Lenny and Paul

I have left a voice mail at Cone Editions.

Cannon is a twelve ink set on my unit and the newer version is a twelve ink set as well, except different inks are required. I find this in-compatablity disturbing.
I want to believe that they both could be fed the same ink. I will investigate this further and post my findings.

I will search the links you suggest.

Lenny Eiger
3-Feb-2013, 11:50
Cannon is a twelve ink set on my unit and the newer version is a twelve ink set as well, except different inks are required. I find this in-compatablity disturbing.
I want to believe that they both could be fed the same ink.

I didn't mean to say they couldn't use the same ink. I think they probably can. When I set up my next printer it will be with Cone Color. I would much rather support him than the OEM. Cone has done his best to make things work for everyone... If Cone Color works in both printers, I wouldn't hesitate.

That said, I was questioning whether you could profile them the same. I think you would need a printer profile for each... to get the colors you expect.

Lenny

Peter Gomena
3-Feb-2013, 11:59
If something is different in the imaging chain, you will need a different profile. Same ink, same paper, different printer - different profiles. The printer output may be very close, but not exact. How close is close enough only you can determine.

bob carnie
3-Feb-2013, 12:35
That would be no issue , I doubt the profile would be much different for two different Cannon 60 inch printers one just a current model. but getting the profiles nailed is no issue if they differ.
I would like the flexibility of using the same ink in both machines even if I had a slightly different profile for each, In our world we can keep the main printer going non stop and when we get head issues its a real concern so two similar machines using the same ink is really beneficial. Much easier to stock one inkset than two .. 12 ink units therefore 24 sets at average $330 per set , it adds up real damm fast.

I am hopeful Cone Colour will solve this situation, I should hear back sometime next week. I too would switch in a heartbeat if this was possible.
Support from the manufactures is sketchy to say the least so I would be looking for a competent technician to hire per hour rather than rely on Manufactures useless offerings for tech support.
Its funny , you buy a Durst Lambda, something goes wrong, its fixed no question within a day .... $500 per hour but its fixed and you keep working
Call in a inkjet technician, its days of screwaround, the tech is always on the phone to someone and it still hits you hard in the pocketbook.

Any youngsters out there listening... learn how to fix these machines , there is a market for this talent.

btw what isthe OEM.

thanks

I didn't mean to say they couldn't use the same ink. I think they probably can. When I set up my next printer it will be with Cone Color. I would much rather support him than the OEM. Cone has done his best to make things work for everyone... If Cone Color works in both printers, I wouldn't hesitate.

That said, I was questioning whether you could profile them the same. I think you would need a printer profile for each... to get the colors you expect.

Lenny