PDA

View Full Version : Wollensack Enlarging Raptor

MattO
29-Apr-2004, 19:48
Any experiences or knowledge on these old guys?

ronald lamarsh
29-Apr-2004, 20:03
I actually have one in 190mm in mint condition and although I recieved many comments that it doesn't compare to the finer optics available now I have found that it works fine for moderate B&W enlargements(4x) just fine.

Ernest Purdum
29-Apr-2004, 22:28
My impression is that when you can find them, the Wollensak "Pro Raptar" series of enlarging lenses is particularly good value for the money.

I haven't used them for enlarging, but the one I tried as a taking lens for moderate sized objects at close distances performed very well. The distance ratios were quite similar to what would often be used in enlarging from 4" X 5"

Dan Fromm
30-Apr-2004, 05:25
Ernest, to expand on your theme, at f/11, f/16, and f/22 from 1:8 - 1:1 my 4"/5.6 Enlarging Pro Raptar is as good on Delta 100 as a known good 100/6.3 Luminar. From 1:1 - 4:1 wide open on TMX it also matches the Luminar. But at infinity and f/11 and f/16 it is considerably worse on EPP than my uncoated 101/4.5 Ektar. This with the lens facing normally, rear to film, and isn't particularly fair to the enlaringing lens, which is designed for small behind, large in front..

On the other hand, my 50/4 Enlarging Pro Raptar isn't outstanding above 1:1. dedicated macro lenses and in particular a reversed 55/2.8 AIS MicroNikkor beat it. This with all lenses facing normally, rear to film. Again, not fair to the enlarging lens. So at least some Enlarging Pro Raptars may be pretty good. I understand they're all plasmat types. Tessar type enlarging Raptars aren't, at least according to Richard Knoppow.

MattO, the trade name is RaptAr with two As, not RaptOr with an A and an O.

I think the moral of this discussion is that the best way to find out how good the lens in hand is is to ask it.

Cheers,

Dan

Mark Sampson
30-Apr-2004, 07:27
As enlarging lenses... in the late 1980's we ran a comparison test. The Wollensak 162mm Enlarging Pro Raptar was markedly inferior to an older (even then) chrome Schneider Componon and an EL-Nikkor 150mm. As I remember, we made 11x14 prints from 4x5 negs, and the difference between the Wollensak lenses and the more modern ones was quite visible. We switched to EL-Nikkors and have never looked back.