PDA

View Full Version : size of the presentation box

yuexiachou29
31-Jan-2013, 11:28
I am preparing to attend a photo review. Now I am in the process of buying a nice looking presentation box. But not sure the size.
1. What size of the image does 20x24'' box fit into the best?
2. the size of box you are using?

Thanks.

Jon Shiu
31-Jan-2013, 11:48
Not sure of the question, but case with matted prints will be heavy so I recommend a padded case for the box with shoulder strap.

Jon

John Kasaian
31-Jan-2013, 12:02
If your prints are matted, I'd want a box with the closest interior demensions possible so the prints won't slide around and get abrasion damaged.

yuexiachou29
31-Jan-2013, 12:03
what size & kind of box do you own?

John Kasaian
31-Jan-2013, 22:35
IIRC, mine's an Itoya. Lineco and Cachet make good stuff too. Get one that fits your matted prints.

yuexiachou29
31-Jan-2013, 22:39
what size did you buy, John?

John Kasaian
1-Feb-2013, 07:32
I've got two, one for 12"x20" ULF contacts that was a custom run, the Itoya fits 11"x14"
BUT don't do what I did--do what YOU need to do!

Dan Henderson
1-Feb-2013, 10:28
Is this a one-on-one photo review that you are planning for? If so, I would think that 11x14 prints would be large enough. Then all you need to do is decide how large of a border you think looks good. You might be able to get away with a 16x20" box, which would give you 2 1/2" borders. I would recommend overmatting as well as a mount board to protect the print surfaces from other prints in the box. Plus, overmatted prints look more finished, in my opinion.

ROL
1-Feb-2013, 10:48
I couldn't help noticing you (the OP) asked the flip side of this question last week, http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?99388-archival-box-for-presentation. I was one of the respondents, providing you as much and pragmatic information as I could. While I am in no way a moderator, nor wish to be one, it would be more productive to define your specific needs and formulate a more defined question, even if it at first appears too basic, before posting to a forum of people who wish only to assist you to best of their abilities. IMO, to do otherwise becomes abuse of poster's good will, mine being obviously limited. Your question(s) don't even appear to be posed in the proper forum. Perhaps Resources or presentation would be better.

1. What size of the image does 20x24'' box fit into the best?

You generally don't look for the box first and then make the print, at least if you are a fine artist. The print's the thing, man.

2. the size of box you are using?

In your first post, I answered your query based on your desire to find a particular size of box. At that time, I couldn't quite understand why you were looking for such a large box, but left the issue be. I assumed your prints were of some digital variety, as 20x24 mounts are generally not aesthetically (IMO) large enough for 16x20 prints. Boxes of any type that large can be unwieldy. That's why they are hard to find. 16x20 and 11x14 boxes are easier to handle on viewing tables and easily sourced. A 16x20 sized box will of course, fit that sized bare prints, and lesser sized matted prints. 11x14 prints matted (presented (http://www.rangeoflightphotography.com/pages/Fine%20Art%20Print%20Presentation)) to 16x20 are normally what is presented in just such a box. I included an image of just such an affair in my previous post, and will not repeat it here. 8x10's may be mounted and presented successfully to 11x14, and presented in that size box. 11x14 prints (or whatever your specific size) mounted to a universal 16x20 are large enough to show your photographic/printing skills in any legitimate venue.

IMO (and I have been aggressively criticized for it elsewhere), one should never be showing bare prints, no matter the size, for any kind of review. It is unprofessional, even if you consider yourself to be an amateur. Mounted and properly presented prints speak volumes as to you personal commitment to your craft, as well as allowing them to be handled safely and easily.

I believe if there is miscommunication, you are the source. Many neophytes come to forums such as these with preconceived, rigorous notions, and if not open minded to honest criticism, respectful discourse becomes impossible. I have noticed over the past few years that this misplaced rigor mortis of mind is becoming all to common, perhaps because of the entry and acceptance of digital shooters, with no training in traditional photographic technique. I only attempt to assist in areas of expertise I personally possess, to the best of my written abilities. You are free to ignore my participation, if you already know your path.