PDA

View Full Version : Please help: Regarding camera

CameraCollector
28-Jan-2013, 15:38
Hello,

I am a camera collector of vintage/antique cameras. However, I've never owned a large format or early photography camera like this one before. It has a Holmes, Booth, and Hayden lens from 1857. However, I'm not sure that the body and base matches the age of the lens. Normally it's easier to do research on cameras based on its make, but I bought this from someone who is also unaware of much information a side from the lens. There are no other markings on the body of the camera either.

If you have any information that you can help me figure out the age of this camera, example: daguerreotype era, wet plate, etc. that would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much.

View actual photo below:

ImSoNegative
29-Jan-2013, 20:37
nice looking camera, im sure if Jim Galli or Eddie would chime in they could help you out pretty quick.

rdenney
29-Jan-2013, 22:21
Moving the thread where it stands a better chance of getting the answer needed.

Rick "and better chance of being found in later searches" Denney

Louis Pacilla
30-Jan-2013, 08:52
Hi There

Your camera and stand where manufactured by "K. Nelson MFR Chicago". This company manufactured studio cameras and stands for many of the Mid-West turn of the century 1890-1920 photographic supply houses. Like Montgomery Wards, Sears and the smaller concerns.

Here is the K. Nelson MFR Chicago Studio set sold by Montgomery Wards 1899 as the "New Era Studio Set".
The second camera is identical to the above sold by B&J Chicago 1904 Again manufactured by K. Nelson MFR.

BTW- The camera and stand where manufactured in the dry plate era. As for the HBH lens you know from the date it was originally used for wet plate. However probably not in conjunction
with this camera & stand.

The catalogs which the attachment came from was dated 1899 & 1904. certainly way into dry plate dominance.

CameraCollector
30-Jan-2013, 20:15
Hi There

Your camera and stand where manufactured by "K. Nelson MFR Chicago". This company manufactured studio cameras and stands for many of the Mid-West turn of the century 1890-1920 photographic supply houses. Like Montgomery Wards, Sears and the smaller concerns.

Here is the K. Nelson MFR Chicago Studio set sold by Montgomery Wards 1899 as the "New Era Studio Set".
The second camera is identical to the above sold by B&J Chicago 1904 Again manufactured by K. Nelson MFR.

BTW- The camera and stand where manufactured in the dry plate era. As for the HBH lens you know from the date it was originally used for wet plate. However probably not in conjunction
with this camera & stand.

The catalogs which the attachment came from was dated 1899 & 1904. certainly way into dry plate dominance.

Thank you so much Louis for your detailed post. And you are pretty certain on all this information correct? We are thrilled to finally know more about this camera and be able to share the details with others. Thank you for providing the catalog attachments, do you have full sized copies that I am able to print? I appreciate your help very much. One last question, would you know the approximate value of this today?

Thank you as well to everyone else showing interest in this post. I am glad that I posted this here.

C. D. Keth
30-Jan-2013, 20:22
That's a handsome camera. Does it have the rack for plates on the dumb side of the stand?

Brassai
31-Jan-2013, 07:20
Thank you so much Louis for your detailed post. And you are pretty certain on all this information correct? We are thrilled to finally know more about this camera and be able to share the details with others. Thank you for providing the catalog attachments, do you have full sized copies that I am able to print? I appreciate your help very much. One last question, would you know the approximate value of this today?

Do you mean lens, camera, or both? What is the FL of the lens?

George B.

CameraCollector
5-Feb-2013, 18:39
Do you mean lens, camera, or both? What is the FL of the lens?

George B.

Everything. I know that the camera and lens don't match up in date, so it may have to be priced seperately. Either way, we bought it, and are very happy with it. It was just so exciting at the time, that we didn't really see other comparables when we were buying it.

pierre506
5-Feb-2013, 18:50
Booth, and Hayden lens is rare and expensive.
Do you now its FL?
You should put the exact size of it at least, barrel dimension, height, etc.