PDA

View Full Version : archival box for presentation

yuexiachou29
26-Jan-2013, 11:29
I am going to SPE conference in March, and need a professional looking box for presentation and archival storage.
I looked up boxes at Light&Impression, and most likely will buy this one
http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com/black-portfolio-box-white-lining-8-1-2-x-10-1-2-x-2/archival-presentation-boxes/
http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com/black-portfolio-box-white-lining-8-1-2-x-10-1-2-x-2/archival-presentation-boxes/

Can I have your opinion/review on this one? It's expensive, but the student portfolio is important for me, so i have to work hard in order to pay for this lovely box. Does anybody know why the shipping cost ($25) is so high? I just don't get it.

Jon Shiu
26-Jan-2013, 11:41
Hi, take a look at the Cachet boxes at Freestyle Photo. Not sure if I would trust ordering from Light Impressions anymore as they have quite a bad reputation for back ordering items in the last few years.

Jon

Kirk Gittings
26-Jan-2013, 11:43
ditto you Might get it by next march......

Hi, take a look at the Cachet boxes at Freestyle Photo. Not sure if I would trust ordering from Light Impressions anymore as they have quite a bad reputation for back ordering items in the last few years.

Jon

yuexiachou29
26-Jan-2013, 12:00
after have seen the review from IL, I am no longer sure, IL is what I need. I am looking for a box that fits 10 matted prints with 18x24 size. Recommendation?
How do you feel about the Archival Method?

Roger Thoms
26-Jan-2013, 12:00
Do a web search for Light Impression problems. Then if you still want to order from them, good luck.

Roger

Edit, didn't see your last post, yes Archival Methods is good. I've placed a couple orders with them, first class outfit.

yuexiachou29
26-Jan-2013, 12:01

get it by the end of February would be more practical.

Kirk Gittings
26-Jan-2013, 12:04
Like I said, recent experiences with LI suggests you might get it by next March as in 2014!

Roger Thoms
26-Jan-2013, 12:05

Kirk, you are quite optimistic.

Roger

yuexiachou29
26-Jan-2013, 12:06

Jon
Looks like they dont have 18x24 box, the biggest is 17x20''
why did you recommend this particular brand?

yuexiachou29
26-Jan-2013, 12:08
sorry my bad, i saw one which is 20x24x2. How many matted prints can it hold? 10?

Jon Shiu
26-Jan-2013, 12:14
Both the Light Impression box and Cachet boxes are good clamshell boxes. The Light Impressions box is slightly heavier and sturdier, but the Cachet is a nice clean looking box with somewhat smoother surface.

I believe you can hold about 15 matted (4 ply/4ply) prints in the 2 inch high boxes.

Jon

yuexiachou29
26-Jan-2013, 12:16
Good to know. Thank you for your advice!!!

bob carnie
26-Jan-2013, 12:52
Carr McLean has nice offerings, pricy but nice, I use them for special items.

ROL
26-Jan-2013, 14:10
Ten 4-ply (11x14 GSP matted to 16x20) dry mounted prints with interleaving tissue in a 1.5 inch linen box about 3/4 full:

http://www.rangeoflightphotography.com/SupportPics/APUG/PorfolioIYosemiteValley.jpg

I don't feel it's necessary to include windows with a portfolio, and may even work against you. Anyway, if windows are included just double (4-ply) or triple (8-ply ...uh, that would be me) the required space. Just measure the depth of your mounts (and windows) and multiply away to figure how deep a box you need.

The Cachet boxes are used very liberally at shows and galleries as they are fairly inexpensive. IMO, they're utilitarian. Honestly, if your prints are "pigment" (:D), the archival nature of the boxes would seem to be mostly hype.

Maybe you can get Tri Tran to make you some of his 20x24 beauties (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?95904-SOUTHERN-CALIFORNIA-LARGE-AND-ULTRA-LARGE-FORMAT-GROUP-%93-Let%92s-Meet%94/page5&highlight=tri+tran) (bottom of page 5). They're the bomb – almost good enough to justify me presenting my prints in them. ;)

yuexiachou29
26-Jan-2013, 14:27
Tri Tran's presentation cases are stunning like hell! I would love to get one if I had money. Now, Pricewise, I might get a Cachet for $70.
Yours looks awesome too! I am really excited to get my portfolio ready, as soon as I get the prints, mats, and archival box.
Thank you for sharing!

Merg Ross
26-Jan-2013, 16:47
Do a web search for Light Impression problems. Then if you still want to order from them, good luck.

Roger

Edit, didn't see your last post, yes Archival Methods is good. I've placed a couple orders with them, first class outfit.

After almost twenty years with Light Impressions, I switched to Archival Methods. I agree, they are an excellent outfit.

(off topic) Roger- Glad to see that your lens finally arrived! Caught your saga on the local news last evening.

Merg

203Ektar
26-Jan-2013, 16:57
After almost twenty years with Light Impressions, I switched to Archival Methods. I agree, they are an excellent outfit.

(off topic) Roger- Glad to see that your lens finally arrived! Caught your saga on the local news last evening.

Merg

Another thumbs up for Archival Methods. I place my order, I get my stuff. No problems.

Mike

Roger Thoms
26-Jan-2013, 17:14

Merg

Right on, yes is was quite a saga, and a happy ending thanks to 7 On Your Side.

Roger

yuexiachou29
26-Jan-2013, 17:25
Mike,
You are easy to pleased. i feel bad to hear the IL is terrible, all my photo professors like it.

bob carnie
27-Jan-2013, 13:28
I remember Light Impressions when they were in Rochester... A destination for any photographer... visit GEH and LI in a single day pure bliss.
I saw an Ansel Adams show there, bought books , paper, chemistry and art supplies.. This was even before Fred Picker started his magic marketing machine.

Sadly by what I read on the web they have destroyed their reputation and are a mere shadow of what they once were.

Then they haven't bought from them in awhile. They are not the same company they were a few years ago.

jbrianfoto
15-May-2013, 07:02
Where did you get the portfolio case shown in this photo? It looks like the one LI used to sell, but did you get it from them or somewhere else?

Thanks !

Jeromie

Ten 4-ply (11x14 GSP matted to 16x20) dry mounted prints with interleaving tissue in a 1.5 inch linen box about 3/4 full:

http://www.rangeoflightphotography.com/SupportPics/APUG/PorfolioIYosemiteValley.jpg

I don't feel it's necessary to include windows with a portfolio, and may even work against you. Anyway, if windows are included just double (4-ply) or triple (8-ply ...uh, that would be me) the required space. Just measure the depth of your mounts (and windows) and multiply away to figure how deep a box you need.

The Cachet boxes are used very liberally at shows and galleries as they are fairly inexpensive. IMO, they're utilitarian. Honestly, if your prints are "pigment" (:D), the archival nature of the boxes would seem to be mostly hype.

Maybe you can get Tri Tran to make you some of his 20x24 beauties (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?95904-SOUTHERN-CALIFORNIA-LARGE-AND-ULTRA-LARGE-FORMAT-GROUP-%93-Let%92s-Meet%94/page5&highlight=tri+tran) (bottom of page 5). They're the bomb – almost good enough to justify me presenting my prints in them. ;)