PDA

View Full Version : Removing flange from a Pentac 8 inch f2.9

adelorenzo
22-Jan-2013, 18:55
I got one of the old WWII Pentac lenses today, the 8-inch f2.9. I'm having difficulty removing the flange, it will thread off a few turns (with some difficulty) and then seems to be stuck. There was a small screw in the barrel that looks like it might have been intended to keep it from unthreading but I removed that.

I'm assuming it is paint or something else that is binding the threads, but I wanted to check to see if there is anyone can thing of some thing I might be overlooking before I go all brute force on it or suggest any techniques to get it free. I have squirted some penetrating lubricant in there.

EdSawyer
24-Jan-2013, 10:21
Be careful with lubricant, it may get inside the lens. Post a pic if you can. It sounds like you have a dallmeyer version with removable flange? Some of the other versions have non-removable flanges. Is it brass or aluminum? In disassembling some of the aluminum pentacs, I found it necessary to use a pair of strap wrenches to loosen things, as the threads had corroded a small amount. Once apart though they cleaned up rather well.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
24-Jan-2013, 10:25
Yes, the aluminum on most of those ex-MOD Pentac lenses is pretty bad. You are lucky that you can move it at all. Follow Ed's advice, and examine and clean the threads very carefully.

Dan Fromm
24-Jan-2013, 11:01
I had a similar problem with a 12"/4 TTH telephoto in an F.139 lens cone. Unlike yours, my beastie's mount threads were inaccessible. I sent it to Steve Grimes, who was really good with a hacksaw, with a request to cut the cone off the lens. Instead he handed it to Adam Dau, then a new hire, and told poor Adam to squirt some lapping compound into the set screw holes in the cone and work the lens out. Doing this took Adam a day. He's still mad at the lens.

adelorenzo
24-Jan-2013, 11:34
The lens is not labeled Dallmeyer but the flange does come off. Like I said I have been able to work it a few turns back and forth, but it just won't go any further. And now it is pretty much stuck in one position. Normally if you break the threads free I would expect things to start moving easier rather than becoming more difficult.

It won't affect my use of the lens but I am trying to disassemble it as much as possible to clean it up. I'll try some strap wrenches and see if I have any better luck.

Does anyone know if the front element threads off? There appears to be a set screw for that as well.

I'll post some pics when I get home this evening.

c.d.ewen
24-Jan-2013, 14:07
I wouldn't try to force the threads, as that might just cause it to bind permanently. If you can move the flange at all, then it isn't seized, and you're way ahead in the game.

Use some solvent, rather than a lubricant, on the threads. There may be some muck stuck in there. There's a possibility that the threads are damaged at the point where rotation stops. If you can't see any damage, then what I'd recommend is to rotate the flange back and forth through as many turns as possible, while injecting solvent. Make an index mark on lens and flange where the binding happens, then rotate a few dozen times and see if you've made any progress passing the mark. Heat and cold can be useful, but without knowing your level of risk aversion, I won't recommend hitting the flange with a torch. You might stick the lens in the refrigerator for a while and see if anything good happens after that.

Charley

EdSawyer
24-Jan-2013, 19:32
heat can definitely help. I have used a heat gun to unstick threads on some aerial lenses, which were probably put together with threadlocker from the looks of it. I wouldn't use a flame/torch, but a heat gun can be just as good, especially when combined with strap wrenches.

Usually the front element can be removed also. I have 2 pentacs (both with integral flanges) and with some effort was able to fully disassemble both of them for cleaning. The nice part about pentacs is the 2 cemented groups never seem to have any separation or haze between the elements, unlike some other aerial lenses I have. Once you get all 3 groups out, they usually clean up super nice and clear.

Good luck, keep us posted
-Ed

adelorenzo
24-Jan-2013, 21:45
Thanks for all the help. I tried strap wrenches tonight and nothing, even though I had it moving originally I can now now longer budge it in either direction. I can't get huge amounts of torque as the wrench tends to want to slip off the narrow flange but I was giving it a pretty good effort.

Like I said, the lens is in pretty good shape as it is but I'd still feel better if I could get the flange off at some point. I've made a lens board out of a piece of aluminium clipboard but haven't had a chance to shoot anything yet.

Here are a few pics (sorry about the quality). It is probably hard to tell but right now the lens is stuck partway unthreaded from the flange.

87954 87955 87956 87957

adelorenzo
24-Jan-2013, 22:14
The front element just un-threaded quite happily. Glass is in great shape with only minor dust inside the elements, aperture works well. I seem to have jammed the flange (will try heat next) but all in all pretty happy with this lens. I think for $150 I paid a good price.

Can't wait to try shooting it!

Jody_S
25-Jan-2013, 08:22
Since there are screw holes in the flange, you can fasten it to a larger piece of wood and get a good grip with your strap wrench on just the barrel. I've found it helpful in the past to use brass or steel bristle brushes (hand powered or circular ones in a Dremel tool) to clean aluminum threads. Aluminum quickly forms a coating of aluminum oxide on any exposed part, and if it's been exposed to humidity this layer can be quite thick and thus bind threaded parts. I don't know of any solvent that would break this down without requiring a Haz-mat suit and respirator to use, so I generally limit myself to mechanical means.

C. D. Keth
25-Jan-2013, 15:14
Is the barrel also aluminum and will the glass come out of it easily?

buzzski
25-Jan-2013, 15:36
I had the exact same issue just a week ago. My lens is brass but was stuck solid to mounting flange. I applied a little touch of light oil to the thread, let it sit a bit then applied heat and loosened the flange over a period of about an hour. I only used a hair drier, not a heat gun and wore a pair of kitchen gloves to get a bit of extra purchase. Didn't think it was gonna loosen but it did!

Just fitted it on to a Jo Lommen board this evening and looking forward to a test tomorrow hopefully! Good luck with yours!

adelorenzo
25-Jan-2013, 16:10
Is the barrel also aluminum and will the glass come out of it easily?

I'm not certain but it's light enough to be aluminium and others on the thread have mentioned that it is. Front and rear elements came out no problemo.

I may try heat as my next effort as some have suggested.

C. D. Keth
25-Jan-2013, 16:22
If you try heat, use an icepack to keep the barrel cool and heat the flange up quickly with a torch before too much of the heat sinks to the barrel. It doesn't need to be crazy hot or glow or anything. The goal is to create a heat differential (expand the flange more than the barrel) between the pieces that will help them to come apart.

adelorenzo
26-Jan-2013, 15:44
Since there are screw holes in the flange, you can fasten it to a larger piece of wood and get a good grip with your strap wrench on just the barrel. I've found it helpful in the past to use brass or steel bristle brushes (hand powered or circular ones in a Dremel tool) to clean aluminum threads. Aluminum quickly forms a coating of aluminum oxide on any exposed part, and if it's been exposed to humidity this layer can be quite thick and thus bind threaded parts. I don't know of any solvent that would break this down without requiring a Haz-mat suit and respirator to use, so I generally limit myself to mechanical means.

Aha, this was the ticket. I screwed the flange down to the top of my work bench and was able to get more torque with the strap wrench and unthread it. The threads look pretty rough but definitely usable, I'll clean them up a bit and put the whole thing back together.

Anyone have thoughts on using a very light coating of grease or anti-seize on the threads? Or keep them dry?

Jody_S
26-Jan-2013, 16:58
Anyone have thoughts on using a very light coating of grease or anti-seize on the threads? Or keep them dry?

For aluminum, use toothpaste (with fluoride). There is also a petroleum-based paste with fluoride made especially for aluminum joints, sold by electrical materials distributors and some big box hardware stores. A common trade name is Noalox (No Aluminum Oxidation). But toothpaste is fine, in fact it's often used as a substitute by electricians. You could mix it 50-50 with white grease. Don't use too much, it can turn to goop.