PDA

View Full Version : Arca or Alpa on P65+ DB ?

esox
22-Jan-2013, 11:43
Hello,

I'm switching to digital (but will still shoot with my Hassy and Sinar F2 on film).

My intention is to hang a P65+ on a tech camera but I'm hesitating between Arca Rm3Di and Alpa 12 STC with a Rodenstock 40mm Diragon.

I loved the feeling of the Alpa wa I had in my hands, very smooth movements. I was a bit less happy with the Arca wich is less smooth and bigger and heavier. I intend to do Architecture and Landscape photography with a possibility to shoot handheld without needing month of bodybuilding.

People say that Arca is more dedicated to digital photo (for instance the focusing ring is 3 rounds) but Alpa has a focusing help also apparently.

What do you think ?

David R Munson
22-Jan-2013, 12:32
My understanding is that the Alpa has a coarser helicoil, meaning very fine adjustments in focus are easier on the Arca. I've not seen the Alpa up close, but one of my clients uses an Rm3D so I've gotten to see it in use a lot and I've been extremely impressed with it. If I were making that kind of purchase myself, I'd go straight for the Arca, no question.

esox
22-Jan-2013, 15:12
You are not the first one saying that.