PDA

View Full Version : New to 4x5 - Developing help?

chipshorter
18-Jan-2013, 12:13
Hi everyone! I just recently took the plunge and got a 4x5 kit for myself. I'm pretty excited about it. I'm trying to cover my bases now in the darkroom so that I'm ready to roll when it's delivered.

I have a lot of experience developing E6, C41, and B&W (Rodinal and HC110) for 35mm and MF. I was looking around and I see that Jobo makes a few tanks for the cpp2 (which i have) but they're in the $300-$600 range on the 'bay, which i definitely cannot afford at the moment. I expect I will eventually, esp for E6.

I have also seen some postings that say in effect 'just develop in some tupperwares that you have lying about' which would definitely be a cheaper way to do it :)

I'm wondering if anyone has some time to point me in the right direction as I'm getting started. I know I'm going to have a lot of learning to do, I just want to be as ready as possible.

Thanks in advance!
-ch

Light Guru
18-Jan-2013, 12:19
If you wand a process you can do in the light the Mod54 is about as easy as they come.
http://www.mod54.com/

Dan Henderson
18-Jan-2013, 13:12
I have no color film developing experience so my comments apply only to that medium. The advice for tray (or Tupperware) developing is a good starting point. It is the least expensive equipment to use. You can develop one sheet at a time in a small tray with a little developer, or more sheets in a larger tray using the "shuffling" method. Some people (like me) sometimes scratch film using this method. And there is always the risk of staining your film by contaminating the developer if your hands aren't really clean.

I used daylight tanks that held the film in vertical racks until discovering uneven development caused by the developer swirling and surging around the rack.

Now I use a slosher tray in which I can develop 6 sheets of film at once in an 11x14 tray without worrying about scratching film or putting my hands in the chemicals to move the slosher from developer to stop to fix. I have not spoiled any negatives since adopting this method, and I have actually come to enjoy being in the dark during the processing sequence.

adelorenzo
18-Jan-2013, 13:50
I am new to the format as well and started out developing film in 8x10 trays... It works but frankly I didn't enjoy sloshing around in the chemicals with my fingers. I asked the same question over on APUG (http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/112623-i-unexpectedly-find-myself-large-format-shooter-need-processing-advice.html) and looked at a bunch of different options,

In the end I picked up a used Jobo multitank and 2509 reel on eBay for about $200. They retail new for less than that but seem to be in short supply for some reason. I already had an old roller base for developing prints and this has proven to be a perfect combination. Relatively easy to load and I have never had a sheet come out. I can develop six sheets of film with 500 ml of developer.

87598 87599

Ari
18-Jan-2013, 14:08
I agree with the Jobo recommendation; if you can afford one, get it.
Since you have experience processing film, loading a Jobo will be easy and you can get right to processing film; the learning curve is steeper with tray processing.
I've also heard good things about the Mod54, if all you have are smaller tanks.

ShawnHoke
20-Jan-2013, 16:47
I use a cheap and tallish Paterson tank and develop four 4x5 negatives at a time using the "taco method (http://www.flickr.com/photos/digi-film/sets/72157627864733730/)." Have never had a problem and it's cheap and easy.

Pfiltz
20-Jan-2013, 16:57
I use a cheap and tallish Paterson tank and develop four 4x5 negatives at a time using the "taco method (http://www.flickr.com/photos/digi-film/sets/72157627864733730/)." Have never had a problem and it's cheap and easy.

That's what I use. My patterson tank is approx 6 or so inches tall though.

jp
20-Jan-2013, 17:06
Jobo, mod54, trays (tupperwear), Combiplan, btzs tubes. I've used trays, mod54, and combiplan; mostly use the combiplans, but nothing wrong with the other choices I've used.

koh303
21-Jan-2013, 04:28
I have a lot of experience developing E6, C41, and B&W (Rodinal and HC110) for 35mm and MF. I was looking around and I see that Jobo makes a few tanks for the cpp2 (which i have) but they're in the $300-$600 range on the 'bay, which i definitely cannot afford at the moment. I expect I will eventually, esp for E6. -ch

You can find Jobo multitank 2 kits with the 2509n reel for around 150-180$.
Expert drums are more expensive.

Doremus Scudder
21-Jan-2013, 12:25
I recommend tray developing for B&W. I use 5x7 trays for 4x5. Start with a couple scrap sheets to learn handling and then develop only two or three at a time at first till you get comfortable.

Advantages: total flexibility as regards time, agitation, etc. Low-tech, inexpensive, space-saving and superior evenness once you get the technique down.

Disadvantages: scratched negatives from improperly handling the film. You must do everything in total darkness. You have to invest some time to learn the technique.

If you tray develop, do wear nitrile gloves.

Best,

Doremus

chipshorter
22-Jan-2013, 09:41
Thanks everyone. I will have a half empty box of Ilford 400 to play with so I think I'm going to at least start with the tray method. I already have a Jobo CPE2 so a 4x5 tank will be on my christmas list.

Follow-up question: Does the tray method still work with e6? How do you compensate for temperature? I would assume that the tray would cool off rather quickly..

Thanks for all your answers so far!

-ch