PDA

View Full Version : Velvia exposed reversed, and other jetlagged mistakes...

Tim Meisburger
13-Jan-2013, 06:22
After four years of doing this, I finally loaded some film backwards (I'm working down my list of every mistake possible). Three sheets of Velvia. Loaded it jet-lagged when I arrived in the US. I got back to Thailand at 2:00 AM this morning and have been developing film. On one set of four negatives I pored in fixer before developer (without noticing) then mis-set the timer on my phone so had to guess development time (two new mistakes. When I went to pour out the developer I realized my mistake and figured the film was ruined, but went ahead and poured in developer, set the timer, then stop and fix and low and behold, images were fine. Anyway, the lesson here is neither load nor develop when jet-lagged....

On the Velvia, I noticed the notches were on the wrong side when I unloaded the holders. I don't develop color, and don't plan to send these off, as its quite expensive and I'm sure the images (which should have been good) are more or less ruined. I thought about throwing them straight in the trash, but I figured I could either try to develop them in black and white chemicals, or send them off to someone who does color at home and is interested in experimenting with reversed film. Suggestions or ideas welcome!

vinny
13-Jan-2013, 06:51
Trash

RawheaD
13-Jan-2013, 08:16
You should have a redscaled image on the reversed reversal (lol), but it may be severely underexposed… when I red scale, I usually give it a good extra 3-4 stops or so (http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=88929764@N00&q=redscale). It might be interesting to push it 3 stops in dev.

If you think the image you shot are interesting I'd be more than happy to develop them for you if you could ship to the US.

Tim Meisburger
13-Jan-2013, 09:13
Sure, I could do that, if you PM me your address. I've processed some color roll film in black and white chemicals, but you don't get much. I had never heard of redscale, but looked at your flicker group and then googled it. Looks pretty cool. As I recall (I'll have to check my notes) the negs are of San Xavier Mission in Tucson, and the reason I shot in color was to get the warm red light on the white walls, and the deep blue sky. This would not reveal that, but maybe a different vision! (I feel so Holga).

Best, Tim

RawheaD
30-Mar-2013, 11:30
Tim, finally got around to developing the 3 Velvias you sent me. I gave it a good 3-stop push in dev (10 minutes) and, while still dark, is a pretty good redscale image. I'll upload the results later, and send you the full res images (scanning now @ 1600 dpi). If you would like me to send the film to you, I can certainly do that for the cost of postage.

Just so you know, you seem to have some light leaking in your film holder(s) :)

RawheaD
30-Mar-2013, 22:51
Here are the three shots; quite nice, I'd say. I love to red scale architecture :-) 'Course, some clouds would've been perfect with some clouds :D

Tim Meisburger
31-Mar-2013, 18:53
Thank you! These are quite unusual, and very interesting. My first (unintentional) redscale!

Cheers, Tim