PDA

View Full Version : Cheap ( yeah ) but will it work. A 35mm digital back on a 4x5 View camera?

rdelung
11-Jan-2013, 16:48
I have a Pentex K100 digital back. In the passed I have used a 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 roll film back on my view camera. So I was wondering if I were to make an adapter for my digital camera, would it work? If anyone has any ideas on this manner. I would really apprecieate the feed back before I envest the time to make this, only to find out that it will not work. Thanks, R.W.D

paulr
11-Jan-2013, 17:08
I've seen other people write about this online. The trick is to get an extension tube for your camera model. This functions as the camera body mount. Then you can just fashion a replacement back panel for your camera out of plywood or something similar, bore a hole, and glue the extension tube into it. The shorter the tube you can get away with, the better. You don't want it limiting your camera movements too much.

I've thought about doing this just for fun.

Mike Anderson
11-Jan-2013, 17:42
There are many people thinking about this. Google dslr to 4x5 adapter (https://www.google.com/search?q=dslr+to+4x5+adapter&oq=dslr+to+4x5+adapter).

Here's one DIY from a member here:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?73171-4x5-DSLR-Experiment-it-kinda-works

I have a vague memory of a recent adapter that can mount the DSLR in 4 different positions for a 4 shot stitch but I can't find it.

Gary Tarbert
12-Jan-2013, 00:43
I have only one question WHY??? Cheers Gary

Light Guru
12-Jan-2013, 02:05
I have a Pentex K100 digital back. In the passed I have used a 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 roll film back on my view camera. So I was wondering if I were to make an adapter for my digital camera, would it work? If anyone has any ideas on this manner. I would really apprecieate the feed back before I envest the time to make this, only to find out that it will not work. Thanks, R.W.D

You could use one of these with a adapter to make Pentax lenses fit on Canon or Nikon cameras.
http://fotodioxpro.com/index.php/lens-mount-adapters.html?cat=13

But I googled the Pentax K100 that you said you have and it's only a 6 megapixel camera body. Even with the stitching of multiple images that you do with the adapter you resolution is going to be poor. You will need a newer DSLR with much higher resolution to even start coming close to a mediocre 4x5 negative scan.

cyberjunkie
12-Jan-2013, 03:31

I would NOT use it to shoot pictures, but i see at least three applications for it, all of them quite useful.
1) focal plane meter, better if used with a gray card
2) quick test of new lenses (especially useful if you have little time)
3) precious aid to design a new diaphragm scale

For testing purposes, a sliding adapter would be much better. It is not just about IQ center vs borders, sometimes is very useful to check the focus too (with the lens wide open).
In my case, and i am sure the same would be true for many others, an accessory like that would be quite useful, definitely.
I don't have one, because they are still too expensive, given their very simple construction. Chinese stuff is not always super cheap!
It seems that those who buy one are sticking to it. I have seen only ONE of them, sold as second hand on Ebay.

ic-racer
12-Jan-2013, 07:40

The OP wants an expensive, cumbersome and bulky macro bellows?

rdelung
12-Jan-2013, 12:46

Thanks for all the input. But before I take on this project. I would like to know how an exposure would be made. Will the camera back do it all, or will i have to use an adapter on on the flash shoe and run a cable to the flash input on my lens? To those who wonder why I want to do this. I'm cheap, and I'm tired of having to use chemicals. Also I'm in considering weather or not the keep my 4x5 Besslor enlarger and years of accrued stuff. I would also like your input as to keep it, or not? Thanks, RWD

cosmicexplosion
12-Jan-2013, 17:57
I have a cannon to 45 adapter off eBay $200

Never used it.

Try looking up DIY chemistry or ken lee has info on low tox Chems

Plenty on web

My next mission is low tox set up.

Why you nog want to use chem.

Jobo?

polyglot
12-Jan-2013, 21:59

Ultra-macro with good control of the plane of focus. Other than that, I wouldn't bother.

As to how, there are plenty of adapters on eBay. In theory you could stitch a larger frame together by shifting the back around but I reckon the mirror box of your DSLR will vignette unless the lens in use is quite long.

rdelung
13-Jan-2013, 15:57
You could use one of these with a adapter to make Pentax lenses fit on Canon or Nikon cameras.
http://fotodioxpro.com/index.php/lens-mount-adapters.html?cat=13

But I googled the Pentax K100 that you said you have and it's only a 6 megapixel camera body. Even with the stitching of multiple images that you do with the adapter you resolution is going to be poor. You will need a newer DSLR with much higher resolution to even start coming close to a mediocre 4x5 negative scan.

I'm taking this one notch farther. Ebay came up with a Nikon D100 14.2 MP. back and a extenction tube set. I think this will help with a better outcome. I do have a Combi-Plan 4x5 tank daylight developing sys. So the use of film is still there. I like the challenge of the Digital back, and the use of my computer to change the outcome. But what to do with my 4x5 Beseler MXll ?

welly
13-Jan-2013, 17:09
I'm taking this one notch farther. Ebay came up with a Nikon D100 14.2 MP. back and a extenction tube set. I think this will help with a better outcome. I do have a Combi-Plan 4x5 tank daylight developing sys. So the use of film is still there. I like the challenge of the Digital back, and the use of my computer to change the outcome. But what to do with my 4x5 Beseler MXll ?

The Nikon D100 was 6MP.

Each to their own but this subject has been discussed a billion times on this forum and the general consensus is it doesn't work very well. As someone said on a similar thread, movements are increased exponentially.

rdelung
14-Jan-2013, 09:02
The Nikon D100 was 6MP.

Each to their own but this subject has been discussed a billion times on this forum and the general consensus is it doesn't work very well. As someone said on a similar thread, movements are increased exponentially.

Oops! It's really is a Nikon D3100. A ebay factory referb, so the price was right. I can always put a proper lense on it and use it as it was made for. I really like the challenge of useing it for more than one purpose. Besides that, my View Cameras are just gathering dust ( so to speak ) I would like to get back into useing them again, but without the Darkroom stuff that goes along with it. Thanks for all your input. R.W.D

paulr
14-Jan-2013, 15:44
Why?
-fun, harmless way to wile away an afternoon
-super macro stuff
-extreme movements for architectural or similar work.
-if you miss your big camera more than you miss big film.