PDA

View Full Version : Kind of a Basic Color Printing Question

Kevin Crisp
11-Jan-2013, 09:42
I really don't scan much at all, color or black and white, so I'm going to ask something really basic.

If I have a color transparency, and I want to make (have made) a high quality print of it, roughly in the 16X20 range, and I want it to stand up to bright office lighting for as long as possible, what process would be involved?

Thanks.

C. D. Keth
11-Jan-2013, 10:34
Good inkjet is one option. A step up from that is something like a lightjet print.

Preston
11-Jan-2013, 11:34
Kevin, here a few thoughts on the subject...

Scan the chrome or neg so that the contrast is somewhat flat--you don't want to clip the shadows or high value, and you want as much tonal separation as possible. For chromes, adjust color so that it looks reasonably accurate. A 4x5 scanned at 1800-2200 ppi will give a nice 16x20.

Bring the image into Photo Shop, or other editor, and save the file under a new name: You want to keep your scan free of adjustments. Next, adjust the new file to your liking, but don't sharpen it.

I always make a small, say 8x10, hard proof prior to making the larger one. If I need to tweak the image, I go back to my 'master file' and tweak that.

Now, save the file under a new name, for example "myprint-16x20.psd". Next, resize the file to the size you want, and to the print resolution and bit depth you need and then sharpen it.

As Christopher says, you can get very nice results from an inkjet printer. If you want to step up, a LightJet or Chromira print on Fuji Crystal Archive will really sing. Either of these processes will make a print that will last a long time as long as it is mounted, matted and framed correctly.

It's worth noting that the optimum print resolutions and image bit depth differ for different printers. The LightJet and Chromira like 300 dpi, and need 8-bit files. Some Epsons like 360 dpi and 8-bit files, and the list goes on. Point being, you'll need to know the optimum dpi and required bit depth for the printer you'll be using.

Added: I get excellent 16x20's scanned at 1800 ppi on both Epson papers and Fuji from my 4x5 chromes. The Fuji Crystal Archive Gloss is gorgeous, if you like glossy papers.

I hope I answered at least part of your question.

--P

paulr
11-Jan-2013, 13:01
I personally think that for color, inkjet is better than digital c-printing in just about every way. You can print a with a wider color gamut, on higher quality paper stocks, with a huge choice of surface and base color options, and with significantly better image permanence.

I don't feel as strongly about this as Richard Benson does (http://www.benson.readandnote.com/videos/digital-chromogenic-prints), but agree with some of his points.

If you get a good scan, you'll be in good shape no matter how you choose to print. Transparency scanning is easy compared with negatives, but the demands on the scanner itself are higher. You need access to one with enough dynamic range to see into the shadows. Some transparencies can pose a challenge if you're not drum scanning.

Lenny Eiger
20-Jan-2013, 16:36
I really don't scan much at all, color or black and white, so I'm going to ask something really basic.

If I have a color transparency, and I want to make (have made) a high quality print of it, roughly in the 16X20 range, and I want it to stand up to bright office lighting for as long as possible, what process would be involved?

Thanks.

I do this for a living. I will try not to advertise too much...

Inkjet offers the highest quality. The papers are exquisite. I am a fan of the matte surfaces, they offer a velvety, rich set of colors. A good drum scan and a good print, with good inks on good papers... will bring you as much of what you are looking for as possible.

Feel free to contac t me off line to get more specific answers if you need any.

Lenny
707-763-5922