PDA

View Full Version : Nicest gloss surfaces?

paulr
8-Jan-2013, 14:01
I've been experimenting with inkjet papers, looking for my personal holy grail, you know, like, what everyone's always doing.

Coming from a darkroom background I'm finding it pretty amazing how close you can come to matching the image quality between one paper and another ... it's allowing me to focus on things like paper color and surface. Which is bringing me back to a quest that I abandoned years ago in the darkroom.

Does anyone remember the old Agfa Portriga Rapid surface, from before it was "improved" in the late 80s? Right when I started photography, I was surrounded by old timers who'd literally been thrown into depression by the discontinuation of this stuff. A group of landscape photographers that included Edward Ranney pooled together and offered agfa $100,000 for a private batch of the old stuff. Agfa said no.

I only managed to buy one box of the stuff, to try to figure out what the fuss was about. I'm pretty sure I was able to equal its image quality with Fortezo, but I've never seen anything that could match the surface. It had a smooth soft sheen, like silk.

If you remember this stuff, can you think of an inkjet paper, preferably neutral white, and ideally baryta, with a similar surface?

So far I've only had a chance to check out the Canson (decent surface but too textured) and the Hahnemuhle baryta photorag (way too much texture).

Vaughn
8-Jan-2013, 20:50
When I saw you title, I immediately thought of Portriga Rapid 111 -- beautiful surface! I used it for years -- still have a very small stash. Sorry, can't help with with any inkjet reccomendations.

Brian C. Miller
8-Jan-2013, 21:07
It isn't just the surface, it's also the ink compatibility. Recently I tried some various non-Epson papers with my Epson printer, and none of them were satisfactory. Some of them were a complete mess. The Epson inks wouldn't dry into the surface in time, so there were roller tracks. Also, while the surface is glossy, the gloss changes with the inks on it. Some printers have a clear overcoat to overcome that.

paulr
9-Jan-2013, 00:44
I think there are lots of papers now that work great with all the pigment ink printers. I'm seeing reports of very slight differences in gloss differential from one brand to another, not many other problems. The paper guys seem to have figured this out. It's a luxury to be able to choose based on the more superficial characteristics.

I may just go back to the photo store and dig through the sample books again. I find it hard to visualize these surfaces based on the manufacturers' names or reviewers' descriptions.

Michael Graves
9-Jan-2013, 06:06
My current favorites are Epson Exhibition Fiber and Canson Baryta. Each is slightly different from the other. I find myself using the Epson for cold and neutral tone prints and Canson for warm tone.

bob carnie
9-Jan-2013, 06:48
Epson Hot Press Natural is a lovely paper.

Jim Becia
9-Jan-2013, 08:19
Paul,

I don't know what the old Agfa looked liked, but i just received a Lenswork folio that was printed on "Harman by Hanemuhle Glossy Baryta." That is how it is described in the colophon. The paper is gorgeous, at least to me, glossy with just a hint of surface texture. You might give it a look. Jim

austin granger
9-Jan-2013, 09:45
You might try Ilford's Gold Fibre Silk. It's a baryta paper with a smooth soft sheen and a touch of warmth. It really does have a nice silkiness to it.

austin granger
9-Jan-2013, 09:50
As Michael mentioned above, Ilford Exhibition Fiber is also nice. In comparing it to the Gold Fibre Silk, I would say it is slightly whiter and the gloss is a tad harder/smoother. I go back and forth between those two (and occasionally Hahnemuhle Photo Rag if I want a matte surface) depending on the image.

paulr
9-Jan-2013, 12:03
I'll probably try the Harman next. I'm reading about a lot of people ditching it for the Canson, but the surface might be a step closer to what I'm looking for.

It seems like right before I got into photography, Kodak made each of their papers in an incredible number of surfaces. Would be amazing if the ink paper companies could do something similar.

Jan Pedersen
10-Jan-2013, 07:07
Agfa Portiga was a beautiful paper and my favorite 25 years ago. Not just the surface was nice but the tone was unrivaled by any paper i have seen.
The Epson Exhibition fiber has a very nice surface but is easy to damage. The Harman Gold Fiber Silk does not look like a glossy baryta paper but colors can be very vivid and slightly warmer than the Exhibition Fiber.
I like the Epson for QTR and the Harman for color work where the surace for some reason have less importance to me.

John Rodriguez
10-Jan-2013, 09:55
I've never seen the Afga, but I've tried pretty much every inkjet baryta out there and I haven't found anything that beats the Harman yet. Ilford Gold Fibre comes in second, but it's not a really close second in my opinion. The Harman prints sharper with a more mirror-like sheen. It's that mirror sheen that gets me, I haven't seen it on anything else.

paulr
11-Jan-2013, 13:16
John, do you have issues with the fragility of the Harman surface? I've read some reviews online by people who love it but who waste a ton of paper trying to make print without scratches.

John Rodriguez
11-Jan-2013, 14:14
John, do you have issues with the fragility of the Harman surface? I've read some reviews online by people who love it but who waste a ton of paper trying to make print without scratches.

I had some print head strikes with my first couple test prints, however a platten gap adjustment in the setup dialog fixed that (FYI - 3880 using the sheet feeder). No issues since then. The surface does scratch somewhat easily if you miss-handle it later, but unless you're hand holding your prints a lot it's not a problem.

John Rodriguez
11-Jan-2013, 14:24
FYI, I've tried the following brand's gloss baryta papers - Canson, Hahnemuhle (all of em), Ilford, Epson, Harman (warm and normal), and Premier Art. The Harman is by far the smoothest/most mirror-like out of that bunch. One paper I still want to try is Pictorio Hi Gloss.

Tyler Boley
11-Jan-2013, 18:18
I've seen nothing that really has the quality Portriga did. Actually many of the best silver papers, partially because the image is beneath the gelatin. The only inkjet I've seen with similar qualities were done with a second pass of gloss optimizer, or even sprayed carefully. There are several nice surfaces that many will like just fine with ink, like the Harman, etc, I'm just talking that last 1%.
Tyler

Gary Tarbert
11-Jan-2013, 18:56
I have actually given up trying to find a high gloss option for inkjet just not happy with any of them ,The glossiest surface i use is Canson platine or Hannemuhle baryta , But i would not call them high gloss. If i want high gloss i use lightjet fujiflex or diasect over a flat matte paper . Cheers Gary

asnapper
13-Jan-2013, 13:24
Paul, I have over 30 years experience in the darkroom and I have just bought my 1st printer, a s/h r2880 with the intention of using it with either the carbon or warmtone piezo inks. I remember Portiga as well as Record Rapid and I would love to replicate the tones of these classic papers. I have gone through the archives of several sites looking for paper recommendations and I remember reading that the closest paper to Portriga was HPR satin. As for a high gloss option, from what I have seen Harmon Gloss papers is king.

paulr
13-Jan-2013, 19:39
I have gone through the archives of several sites looking for paper recommendations and I remember reading that the closest paper to Portriga was HPR satin. As for a high gloss option, from what I have seen Harmon Gloss papers is king.

I'm glad you mentioned the Hahnemuhle satin. I'm curious about it because of the name but can find next to nothing about it.

Probably I shouldn't have used the word "gloss" in the title of this thread, because be surface I'm thinking of might not be considered gloss today. I just have a hard time knowing what to expect when manufacturers use names like "satin" and "pearl." They often mean textures that are much more exaggerated than I'm hoping for.

GG12
14-Jan-2013, 07:34
Remembering Agfa 111, am kind of happy with Canson Baryta. Haven't tried the other Barytas, but it seems pretty good.

rich815
28-Jan-2013, 10:57
Epson is very slow in printing and its ink is very expensive

Yet many, if not all pros I know who print digitally, use them.