PDA

View Full Version : Pentax Spotmeter V

sanking
17-Apr-2004, 21:32
I have an Asahi Pentax Spotmeter V and would like to replace all of the batteries.

My instruction manul gives good instructions for replacing the three G-13 mercury batteries, but there appears to be a 9 volt battery in the handle of the meter than I have no idea how to access. Can someone explain how I can replace the 9 volt battery?

tim atherton
17-Apr-2004, 21:41
sandy,

are you sure? I thought it was only the older ones (pentax/honywell etc) that had the 9v

tim

sanking
17-Apr-2004, 21:52
Tim,

No, I am definitely not sure. Perhpas I have one of the older ones, but the manual that came with my meter describes a Pentax Spotmeter V and in every respect, but for the nine volt battery, the manual accurately describes my meter.

The only marking on the meter itself say Asahi SPOTMETER Pentax, Asahi Opt. Co. , No. 47346/

Sandy

Chuck_1686
17-Apr-2004, 22:06
My V is marked with V following the word Spotmeter on the top name plate. I'm using Energizer 357 batteries.

tim atherton
17-Apr-2004, 22:39
sandy - the manual mentions the 9v battery?

There is a (not veyr good copy) of the spotmeter manual on the pentax site, http://www.pentaxusa.com/docstore/index.cfm?show=6 (at the bottom)

which just mentions the 3x 1.5v batteries no other batteries.

As I say, some of the early pentax spotmeters (can't remeber how they were numbered spotmeter 1/21, III etc) had a 9v battery - perhaps some of the earlier spotmeter v's did as well? Maybe you have a newer spotmete with an older manual?

kinda guessing though...

this is how it worked in the spotmeter III (scroll down)

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/spotmeter_iii/spotmeter_iii.htm

LC
17-Apr-2004, 22:40
On the older 21/1, there is a small tab next to the mercury battery compartment. Push it counter-clockwsise, the whole mercury battery compartment can be lift out, exposing the entrance for the 9V battery. But 21/1 only takes one mercury battery. Not sue about the V though.

Kirk Gittings
17-Apr-2004, 23:52
Sandy,

I believe the above information is correct about the early ones having a now difficult to find 9volt. My memory also suggests that at one time there was an adapter available that would allow it to tale the three 357 batteries. Of course my memory is notoriously bad also.

Richard Årlin
18-Apr-2004, 05:13
I have the same meter number 69447 and it has a 9v battery. I never had any trouble finding this kind of battery.

N Gray
18-Apr-2004, 07:01
Nothing like an excuse to dismantle a perfectly functioning spot meter on a Sunday morning. Doh.

The posts above are quite correct. The Pentax Spotmeter V has no additional battery in the handle, only those accessed by the 'coin screw' in the base of the handle, the three mini 1.5V batteries ( Everyread A76 (http://www.batterymart.com/battery.mv?p=BAT-LR44) in mine). My meter seems to be an earlier model than yours Sandy (132893) so I'm sure that this will be the same for you.

Now for the more adventurous types, here's a few good things to know about the Spotmeter V's assembly. The metering dial on the outside does not have any screws hidden behind it. If you take the dial off you'll discover that the last (or rather first) component of its assembly is attached with 'free' nuts on the inside of the case. (Do this and you committed to a complete disassembly to put the dial back on: the 'doh' part). The grey plastic case (the rear portion is grey and it comes away from black portion, holding the lens and trigger, at the front) is held in place in three places: (1) by a screw under the serial number plate, (2) the eyepiece flange and (3) a tab in the moulding top and center. The serial number plate is recessed into the plastic and difficult to remove without scratching, be gentle. The eyepiece requires a spanner wrench, though I managed (very carefully) without.

It's all back together and functioning perfectly, whew.

Nathanael

sanking
18-Apr-2004, 08:10
My Spotmeter, whatever it may be called, has a battery compartment on the bottom that can be accessed by turning with a screw. This compartment contains one large cell, a PC640A. It is round, about 16 mm in diameter and about 10 mm long. There is also a 9-volt battery in the handle. I can see it but can not figure how to get it out because the latch on the bottom won't permit it to fall out. I assume that the bottom plate can be removed to allow the battery to fall out but I can not see how to do this.

Also, would anyone know if three A-76 type cells could replace the one PC640A?

JohnnyV
18-Apr-2004, 08:53
From the above link http://www.butkus.org/chinon/spotmeter_iii/spotmeter_iii.htm

>For replacing the dry battery, remove the retainer (A) of the strap by unscrewing it, and turn the lever (B) to the direction of the arrow, and the whole housing of the mercury battery will spring up. Open it as illustrated, and drop the dry battery from inside the meter's grip. When inserting a new dry battery, make sure that it makes correct contact with the ( + ) and ( - ) terminals.

Could the battery have leaked and now stuck? Maybe pliers or duct tape to help pull out.

Steve J Murray
18-Apr-2004, 11:01
Sandy, I have a 1/21 Pentax Spotmeter that has the 9 volt battery in the handle. On my model you unlatch the hinged bottom "door" exposing the 9 volt battery. The smaller battery is in a compartment in this "door" and has its own button type retaining screw. After unlatching and swinging the door open the battery should just fall out with a gentle tap on the handle. It sounds like your batter might be stuck. Although I don't know if your model has the same "door" on the bottom of the meter. Good luck.

sanking
18-Apr-2004, 11:42
Thanks for all the helpful replies. Based on Johnny's instructions I finally figured out how to remove the strap retainer and doing so allowed the flap on the bottom to swing up wide enough to access the 9-volt battery, at which point it just dropped out.

David Sadler
2-Aug-2004, 15:33
Hi everyone! I have just come across an old Asahi Pentax spotmeter, a 1/21 model, I think! I need to replace the batteries and try it out. How old is this piece of equipment? Is it collectable? What is it worth nowadays? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, David (Scotland)

tillari
26-Feb-2009, 06:28
Hello, a fiend gave me a Pentax Spotmeter V, but it only has two A76 batteries. Is there something wrong?
Thanks,

Ariel

Nathan Potter
26-Feb-2009, 15:47
I've learned more about the evolution of Pentax spotmeters here than some school kids have learned about Darwinian evolution in Texas. I hadn't realized that there were early versions with 9 volt batteries. I'm thinking that Richard Ritter who repairs and calibrates the spotmeters might share some light on this history.

Thanks for the discussion.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

neil poulsen
27-Feb-2009, 04:23
I have to check mine. That it has a 9 volt batter is news to me.

mikebarger
28-Feb-2009, 17:40
Nate

Are you sure there has been any evolution in Texas? ;)

Mike

pierce
25-Jul-2009, 23:56
Nothing like an excuse to dismantle a perfectly functioning spot meter on a Sunday morning. Doh.

The posts above are quite correct. The Pentax Spotmeter V has no additional battery in the handle, only those accessed by the 'coin screw' in the base of the handle, the three mini 1.5V batteries ( Everyread A76 (http://www.batterymart.com/battery.mv?p=BAT-LR44) in mine). My meter seems to be an earlier model than yours Sandy (132893) so I'm sure that this will be the same for you.

Now for the more adventurous types, here's a few good things to know about the Spotmeter V's assembly. The metering dial on the outside does not have any screws hidden behind it. If you take the dial off you'll discover that the last (or rather first) component of its assembly is attached with 'free' nuts on the inside of the case. (Do this and you committed to a complete disassembly to put the dial back on: the 'doh' part). The grey plastic case (the rear portion is grey and it comes away from black portion, holding the lens and trigger, at the front) is held in place in three places: (1) by a screw under the serial number plate, (2) the eyepiece flange and (3) a tab in the moulding top and center. The serial number plate is recessed into the plastic and difficult to remove without scratching, be gentle. The eyepiece requires a spanner wrench, though I managed (very carefully) without.

It's all back together and functioning perfectly, whew.

Nathanael

I want to thank Nathanael for this description from some years ago, it just helped me repair my Spotmeter V... I too likely would have tried to remove the dial, and never would have guessed that flange around the eyepiece adjuster was a spanner.

My Spotmeter V has been intermittent for some years, and would work if I wiggled the metal base plate (with the battery holder, strap loop, and tripod screw. removing the two screws from the bottom left that metal plate such that it could wiggle some but not come loose. When I finally figured out from the above how to remove the gray cover, I discovered that there is another 'spanner' nut on top of the tripod socket which secures a metal bracket that holds the screw under the serial plate, AND the black ground wire. that spanner was loose on mine. I took the two bottom screws out and tightened that spanner nut as tight as I could by levering on it with a watch screwdriver, voila, my intermittent problems are gone! Restored the cover... with a fresh set of 3 x 357 Silver cells in mine, its within 1/3rd of a stop of my Gossen Luna Pro, and within 1/3rd of a stop of my EOS DSLR (which seems to expose quite accurately) so I'm a happy camper.

sadly, I'm just a MF weenie (pentax 6x7) so I won't be spending any time on this board, I only registered to post these kudos and perhaps a future Spotmatic owner will have a similar loose inside screw issue.

RichardRitter
26-Jul-2009, 04:25
What color is the body of the meter. If it is brown you have two different batteries. Also the scale in the meter is a low scale with a high scale over it.

If the body is gray the meter has one scale and take only 3 small bottom batteries.

AnselAdamsFamily
14-Oct-2021, 12:04
I want to thank Nathanael for this description from some years ago, it just helped me repair my Spotmeter V... I too likely would have tried to remove the dial, and never would have guessed that flange around the eyepiece adjuster was a spanner.

My Spotmeter V has been intermittent for some years, and would work if I wiggled the metal base plate (with the battery holder, strap loop, and tripod screw. removing the two screws from the bottom left that metal plate such that it could wiggle some but not come loose. When I finally figured out from the above how to remove the gray cover, I discovered that there is another 'spanner' nut on top of the tripod socket which secures a metal bracket that holds the screw under the serial plate, AND the black ground wire. that spanner was loose on mine. I took the two bottom screws out and tightened that spanner nut as tight as I could by levering on it with a watch screwdriver, voila, my intermittent problems are gone! Restored the cover... with a fresh set of 3 x 357 Silver cells in mine, its within 1/3rd of a stop of my Gossen Luna Pro, and within 1/3rd of a stop of my EOS DSLR (which seems to expose quite accurately) so I'm a happy camper.

sadly, I'm just a MF weenie (pentax 6x7) so I won't be spending any time on this board, I only registered to post these kudos and perhaps a future Spotmatic owner will have a similar loose inside screw issue.

Hi, I recently bought a Spotmeter V, and I have some problems with it, the illuminator light for instance. I already opened the meter, but I was wondering: If I want to remove the bottom plate, how do I do this?You say you need to loosen the spanner above the tripod thread if I'm not mistaken? I can see it, but how to acces this? Remove the large PCB or not?Thanks.