PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Omega D2

Curtis Nelson
1-Jan-2013, 20:42
I have a line on a Simmons Omega D2 enlarger. I haven't seen it yet, but it sounds like the owner only has a 35mm negative carrier, and I want to use it for 4x5. It comes with a 50mm lens. Would this work for 4x5? Would I have to get different condensors, and if so, are they readily available? Is there anything I should look for? He says it has an 'upgraded pro light'. Any idea what that could mean?

Thanks

vinny
1-Jan-2013, 20:44
You need a 135 or longer lens.
Condensors just need to be moved up/down for different formats.

Jon Shiu
1-Jan-2013, 20:53
The upgraded pro light might be an Aristo cold light. If so, no condensers are needed.

I believe you would need a 135mm or 150mm lens and an extension (cone) lens board for enlarging 4x5.

Jon

Bill Burk
1-Jan-2013, 21:03
Not sure what an 'upgraded pro light' is.

This is a good resource for Omega enlargers. You can join the forum and ask questions...

http://www.classic-enlargers.com/

You will very likely need to get additional accessories. The lensboard is modular, a flat board for 50mm lens, 2 1/2 inch cone for 135mm lens, etc. Many D2 have fixed condensers and to use with 35mm you need smaller condensers. The D2V has variable condensers that can be moved. Don't know what the 'upgraded pro light' is. Maybe it's a fluorescent ring 'Omegalite' or an Aristo fluorescent 'grid'? Good thing though, accessories are not hard to come by.

jvo
1-Jan-2013, 21:04
as proud owner of 2 d2's,i can say vinny and jon are correct. the condensers are much smaller for the 35mm vs. 4x5- the later using 2 big hunks of glass. if you have a cold light head, it will replace the need for any condensers at all. ditto on the lens recommendations.

check out craiglist forone local... d2's were standard wwII and it's surprising how many are still around. if you can find one locally,you'll save on shipping, which will be expensive. i don't think i'd pay a lot given the shipping costs... great enlarger though.

good luck,it will serve your well.

jvo

lenser
1-Jan-2013, 21:08
This is definitely a 4x5 enlarger. As Vinny says, you will need a 135mm or 150mm lens for the 4x5 negatives and an 80mm for 6x6, and 6x7 or 105mm for 6x9 negatives. What hasn't been said is that the 135mm and longer lenses require a special conical lens board to extend the lens beyond the range available for only the bellows. All are readily available on ebay and probably through this forum. Same with the other negative carriers you may want, just be sure that they are for the D series.

Great lenses would be El Nikkor, Componon S, Rodagon. Other good ones but much older and probably not as bright would be Ektar and Wollensak enlarging lenses.

No idea what an upgraded pro light would be unless its a different sort of bulb which would still only require the movement of the condensers, or a cold light like an Arista or Zone VI adapter (neither of the latter two would bother with condensers). Do you know whether this is a DII (The first version (a weird interchangeable system within the lamphouse and condensers) or a D2V with the front flap on the lamphouse which allows for a simple reach in and move action with one condenser to accommodate the best light pattern as needed per format size? Both are great enlargers, but the D2V (for variable) is by far the simplest to work with.

You might also with to go to Classicenlargers.com for a very comprehensive overview of the Omega enlarger family. They also have parts available.

Heroique
1-Jan-2013, 22:59
It’s not exactly clear if you’re getting a D-II/D-2 (non-v) or a D2v, so here are a few more details to add to the other helpful comments:

The older D-II/D2 (non-v) uses a pair of condenser lenses. There are three types of pairs:

• A pair of 3.5” condensers for 50mm lenses (35mm)
• A pair of 4 11/16” condensers for 75/80/105mm lenses (MF)
• A pair of 6.5” condensers for 135mm/150mm lenses (4x5)

The newer D2v uses three condensers (not two), and these three condensers can, conveniently, be used for all formats:

• Two 6.5” condensers + the third (variable) condenser which is 4 11/16”. (You change the height of the 4 11/16” condenser in the enlarger’s VC box, located under the lamp house; its height depends on your type of enlarging lens. The three condensers here are doing the work of the six condensers above. Also, as you can see, the “v” for “variable” refers to the 4 11/16” lens’ variable height.)

With either enlarger, you will need a 2.75” cone for the 135mm lens, and a 4.5” cone for the 150mm lens. The other enlarger lenses take flat lens boards. (BTW, you might also need a lens ring; if so, the lens would attach to the ring, and the ring would attach to the boards/cones.)

SpeedGraphicMan
7-Jan-2013, 11:45
The "V" option of the third condenser was available for the older D-II, I have it on my D-II... (So I guess that makes mine a D-II V?)

Check out the old brochures...

D-II
http://www.jollinger.com/photo/cam-coll/manuals/enlargers/omega/Omega_DII_%20Cat.pdf

D-2
http://www.jollinger.com/photo/cam-coll/manuals/enlargers/omega/D2%20Condenser%20and%20Dichro.pdf

Omega enlargers are well built workhorses... I have a D-II fitted with a color Dichro head (for 4x5) and a model B with color Dichro head (for 6x9 formats down to 35mm).