PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up ICC Profiles

paulr
30-Dec-2012, 14:34
My list of installed profiles is miles long and annoying. Many were added by Adobe, Nikon, Epson, and others.

I'd like to delete or disable any unnecessary ones, just to make the menus easier to navigate, but don't know if any of these are needed behind the scenes by the software.

Are there any guidelines for this?

Greg Miller
30-Dec-2012, 19:23
There are no magic profiles. it is safe to remove any that you wil never use. just to be safe, just move them to another folder. if for some reason you find you need any of them, just move them back.

Preston
30-Dec-2012, 20:14
Once or twice I've renamed a file and left it in its original location. For example, scanner.icc would be renamed scanner.icc.old.

Greg's method works equally well.

--P

Greg Miller
30-Dec-2012, 20:46
Once or twice I've renamed a file and left it in its original location. For example, scanner.icc would be renamed scanner.icc.old.

That's a nice technique. And if you prefix the unwanted profiles with something like "z-" they will all still be visible but will sort to the bottom of the list so they are no longer in the way.

Preston
30-Dec-2012, 22:13
That's a nice technique. And if you prefix the unwanted profiles with something like "z-" they will all still be visible but will sort to the bottom of the list so they are no longer in the way.

That's a great idea, too. Nice and simple.

--P

paulr
30-Dec-2012, 22:14
Cool, thanks.
I ran in to a bit of trouble by disabling a bunch of the ones linked from adobe's application support folder. Indesign barked at me on startup, saying it was missing profiles it needed for color management. I don't know how critical those were, but I put them back except for the duplicates and the program stopped complaining.