PDA

View Full Version : Audio podcast recommendations.

Jim Becia
29-Dec-2012, 07:53
I like to listen to audio podcasts when I am on one of my photo trips. Gets me thinking about photography. I have the podcasts by Brooks Jensen which are a staple on my trips along with many of his audio interviews. I have bee trying to find some new photography podcasts that might be of interest. Found "Thoughts on Photography" which is in a similar vein like the Lenswork podcasts. I thought I had found one that might be interesting - "Film Photography Podcast." After listening to the first 7 or 8 podcasts, I had to give it up. It was not my cup of tea. I found myself wondering what the podcasters were trying to provide. It had very little info and lots of sound effects and "comedy," or at least what was supposed to be funny. Had to delete the rest of the podcasts. So, anyone out there have some good recommendations of good photography audio podcasts? They can be like Lenswork or they can be technical in nature also. Thanks in advance. Jim Becia

Greg Miller
29-Dec-2012, 08:19
You might enjoy The Candid Frame (http://www.thecandidframe.com/). The podcasts are 45 minute to hour long interviews by Ibarionex Perello with various photographers. You get to hear the photographers speak about their work - much different than reading interviews.

ROL
29-Dec-2012, 15:49
Inside Analog Photo Radio (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/id291806626)

I have them, but have not listened to them, so I cannot vouch/recommend them. If you do, let me know what you think.

Jim Becia
29-Dec-2012, 19:13
Greg and Ben,

I will download both of these and see how they are. I hit the road in about three weeks for a three to four week photo trip and will certainly have some time to listen to some of these. Thanks for your suggestions. Jim

Light Guru
29-Dec-2012, 19:39
I love podcasts and I subscribe to nearly 60 of them. Some photography and some on other topics. Here are some of my favorites.

Photography Related

- History of Photography Podcast (this is actually a college class that the professor also releases as a podcast, I've listened to et for the last 3 semesters he has thought it. It also has some cool info on older photographic methods. The new semester should be starting soon)
- The Candid Frame
- The Art of Photography (video)
- Film Photography Podcast
- FroKnows Photo (audio & video)
- Improve Photography Podcast
- Jeff Curtos Camera Position (Jeff Curtos is the professor from the History of Photography podcast)
- Lens Works
- Martin Bailey Photography Podcast
- NIK Radio
- Photography Tips From The Top Floor
- The Digital Photography Cafe
- This Week In Photo
- The Two Hosers Photo Show

Non Photography Related

- Backstory
- Judge John Hodgeman
- The Dave Ramsey Show
- Stuff To Blow Your Mind
- Stuff You Missed In History Class
- Stuff You Should Know
- This American Life

Light Guru
29-Dec-2012, 19:45
Inside Analog Photo Radio (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/id291806626)

I have them, but have not listened to them, so I cannot vouch/recommend them. If you do, let me know what you think.

If I remember correctly the podcast was good but they stopped doing it. There has not been a new episode in almost a year.

Carl J
29-Dec-2012, 22:33
The Documentary Photographer (http://www.rogeroverall.net/blog/category/tdp-podcast/). Interviews, tends to lean more towards a European perspective, but wide-ranging. For example, in episode 3 Carl Weese (from CT) is interviewed about his work with large format on his drive-in movie theater series.

Jim Becia
30-Dec-2012, 14:17
I love podcasts and I subscribe to nearly 60 of them. Some photography and some on other topics. Here are some of my favorites.

Photography Related

- History of Photography Podcast (this is actually a college class that the professor also releases as a podcast, I've listened to et for the last 3 semesters he has thought it. It also has some cool info on older photographic methods. The new semester should be starting soon)
- The Candid Frame
- The Art of Photography (video)
- Film Photography Podcast
- FroKnows Photo (audio & video)
- Improve Photography Podcast
- Jeff Curtos Camera Position (Jeff Curtos is the professor from the History of Photography podcast)
- Lens Works
- Martin Bailey Photography Podcast
- NIK Radio
- Photography Tips From The Top Floor
- The Digital Photography Cafe
- This Week In Photo
- The Two Hosers Photo Show

Non Photography Related

- Backstory
- Judge John Hodgeman
- The Dave Ramsey Show
- Stuff To Blow Your Mind
- Stuff You Missed In History Class
- Stuff You Should Know
- This American Life

Zak,

I noticed you mention the Film Photography Podcast. I listened to the first 7 or 8 episodes and was turned off by their "antics." Does the podcast get any better? I found one of the commentators to be lacking in general rudimentary knowledge of film and cameras also. It felt like they were trying out a comedy routine about photography. Should I stick with it a little longer? And thanks for the list. Jim

Michael Gordon
30-Dec-2012, 15:24
Not photo related, but definitely smart, and I always listen to it on photo trips. I really enjoy PRI's 'To the Best of Our Knowledge (http://ttbook.org/book/radio)'. I also enjoy others mentioned here.

Light Guru
30-Dec-2012, 16:58
Zak,

I noticed you mention the Film Photography Podcast. I listened to the first 7 or 8 episodes and was turned off by their "antics." Does the podcast get any better? I found one of the commentators to be lacking in general rudimentary knowledge of film and cameras also. It felt like they were trying out a comedy routine about photography. Should I stick with it a little longer? And thanks for the list. Jim

Some episodes are good some are not. Yes they can be young in cheek at times. They do talk to much about polaroid cameras and they seem to enjoy collecting cameras more then they do taking photos.

I would not worry about listing to all of the old ones. Just listen to them as they come out. And as I do with every podcast I listen to if that one particular episode is really boring, annoying or to hard to listen to be cause of messed up audio, just delete that episode and move on. If you find your self continually delegating episodes from one podcast then unsubscribe. I have also found most good podcasts makes are open to suggestions if you contact them.

spacegoose
31-Dec-2012, 22:47
aphotoeditor.com is an interesting read sometimes for commercial aspects, and it was there I learned of Mark Seliger's "Capture" series on youtube.com, have seen some interesting episodes ...

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2F2FCF0E84C97696