PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Easel Questions

SpeedGraphicMan
26-Dec-2012, 14:55
Hello all!

I need to build me a big vacuum easel for my enlarger...
I know some of you have built your own, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Also could you post some pics of your vacuum easels, So I can see how the vacuum surface looks?

Thanks!

frotog
26-Dec-2012, 15:21
I have a few of the old kostiner vacuum easels and a large TTI vacuum easel. The kostiners work as well as the TTI easel, considered to be the industry standard. They are indispensable when making borderless prints using color materials and resin-coated b/w. Do not expect any vacuum easel to hold down double weight fiber - the edges will still curl no matter how strong the vacuum. The best vacuum easel designs incorporate a low volume, high velocity network of tubing beneath a metal screen. http://www.ttind.com/vacuum.html

Jim Noel
26-Dec-2012, 15:56
I beg to differ. I currently have two vacuum easels and got rid of a third not too long ago. Two were homemade with 1/4" pegboard as a surface. Every easel Ihave ever had has held the corners of double weight fiber paper down very well.

SpeedGraphicMan
26-Dec-2012, 16:05
Pics would be helpful!

frotog
26-Dec-2012, 20:11
Sounds cool Jim. How did you do it?

quine
28-Dec-2012, 16:25
My experience building a 20x24 vacuum easel: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?82194-Yet-Another-DIY-Vacuum-Easel

I still use it for all my final prints.

AFAICT, the trick to getting the corners of DW fiber to stay flat is to 1) make sure that there are no leaks (e.g., where the hose connects to the easel), and 2) make sure that the channels aren't too narrow.

Cheers,

-andrew

Drew Wiley
28-Dec-2012, 16:28
I've already posted past suggestions which you can find on search mode. I've made precision vac easels up to 30X40 paper size which work perfectly and need very little vac draw. I don't recommend pegboard, but if you're on the cheap...

vinny
28-Dec-2012, 16:33
I started a similar thread this summer and i think i posted pics. I used 3/4"mdf top and bottom separated with 1/2" mdf around the edges and inside. Galvanized steel painted black glued to the top, think magnets. It looks awesome. I installed it but haven't drilled holes yet as I'm not setup to process large prints right now. Pm me w/ your email if u want pics.