PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Scanner specs for 4x5

Raffay
22-Dec-2012, 23:04
Hello, I am new to 4x5 and where I live there are no facilities for scanning. Hence, I have to get my own scanner, after reading reviews I short-listed Epson V700 but that too is not available here, hence I have to source it from abroad. In the mean time I was thinking of getting a scanner that can do the job if not brilliantly. I am having problems with film fog as all my films are also sourced from US, so I have to sort out a lot of things.

I would really appreciate, if anyone could give me what specs to look for to scan 4x5, as mostly people have been giving me models which are not available here. I was wondering if I could have some basic specs then I can check out the models that are available and see if any of them can work for me or not.

One of the available one is:

Epson Perfection V330
Optical resolution; 4800 dpi
Max scan area: 8.5" x 11.7"
Supported film size: 35mm negatives and slides
Max resolution: 12,800 dpi
Color bit depth: 48 bit internal/external

Cheers

Raffay

rdenney
22-Dec-2012, 23:20
The issue is whether the scanner has a large enough transparency adapter to cover the full 4x5 film area. The scanner you mention does not--otherwise it would be fine.

So, you need:

1. Transparency adapter covering at least 4x5 scan area
2. True 2000 sensels/inch resolution (will support about a 4x enlarged print reasonably). Most flatbed scanners are much higher, but don't add useful detail at those higher values. This is difficult to assess on the basis of specifications. But if you make smaller prints (up to, say, 11x14), then you can get away with much lower resolution of maybe 1200 or so.
3. Supported by Vuescan, which is usually not a problem. If the scanner comes with good software for scanning, then you can use that. But if that software is not good, Vuescan is decent and will support most scanners. You can check for compatibility at www.hamrick.com.

That's about it. I'm not sure dynamic range is that big of an issue any more, especially if you use negative materials and don't develop your negatives for too much contrast.

I had an Acer 1210U or something like that. It was 1200 spi and the entire bed could be used for transparencies. It came out in 1999 and cost about a hundred dollars. For prints up to 11x14 from 4x5, it worked pretty well, but it could not scan a color slide's dynamic range. It wasn't even that bad with medium format.

You do not need special features like ICE dust removal, in general.

No flatbed is very good for 35mm.

Good luck!

Rick "noting some ancient scanners had larger transparency adapters than current models" Denney

chuck94022
23-Dec-2012, 01:20
From reading the v330 spec I don't think you will be able to scan 4x5 film. I suspect it only backlights the area for 35mm. So this should not be on your list.

If you are just looking for a temporary solution while waiting for the arrival of a v700, you could just use a DSLR to take a photo of your 4x5 film while it is sitting on a light table. This is suboptimal, but will give you a usable image for at least web size and resolution work.

Some take this approach to a refined degree to eliminate the need for a traditional scanner altogether. I'm not sold on the approach, primarily due to the presence of Bayer filtering in the typical DSLR, which will cause you to lose some resolution and fine color detail. Again,no big deal for web resolution, but suboptimal for large prints compared to high quality scans.

Raffay
23-Dec-2012, 08:03
Thank you Denny and Chuck, @ Denny when you transparency adapter you mean the holder try, right? I am surveying all the models available and will post for you people to have a look at them. @ Chuck, dslr is an option but I don't have one �� and I don't want to get into the digital thing again.

Cheers
Raffay

sully75
23-Dec-2012, 13:26
I would look for a used Epson 4870 and order a better-scanning large format holder. A 4990 would work too. These are rumored to have quality somewhat close to the more modern Epsons. Not sure what's available in Pakistan but there are plenty on the used market.