PDA

View Full Version : Paper Choices for Epson Printers with Matte Ink?

Ari
20-Dec-2012, 10:44
Hi,
I've been using Epson Ultra Premium Matte paper with my 2880.
I'd like to keep the Matte Black cartridge in the printer, but try a paper that isn't so matte and flat.
Something with a little bit of lustre; perhaps there is a semi-matte paper?
I've tried Epson Lustre, but it doesn't print blacks well.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks

Gem Singer
20-Dec-2012, 11:55
Epson Exhibition Fiber Paper.

More expensive than Ultra Premium Presentation Paper.

Heavier weight. Rich blacks.

Ari
20-Dec-2012, 13:10
Thank you, Gem; does it have much of a texture, or is it a relatively smooth-surfaced paper?

Gem Singer
20-Dec-2012, 13:22
It's a smooth surface, not gloss. Very similar to DW fiber base photo paper.

Designed to work best with Epson K-3 inks.

However, not certain that's the type of ink in your 2880 printer.

Ari
20-Dec-2012, 13:31
Yes, the 2880 uses K3 inks; thank you very much.

Jon Shiu
20-Dec-2012, 13:43
To get decent quality with Epson Exhibition Fiber or with Luster, you need to use photo black ink.

Jon

Ari
20-Dec-2012, 14:01
To get decent quality with Epson Exhibition Fiber or with Luster, you need to use photo black ink.

Jon

Ok, that's what I need to know; thank you, Jon.
I am using Matte Black ink, so what papers could you, or anyone else, suggest?
Looking for a smooth surface that prints blacks well with Matte Black ink, but not necessarily a matte paper.

Thx

Gem Singer
20-Dec-2012, 15:01
Ari,

Jon is correct.

I just tried printing with my 3880. When I told the printer that I was using Exhibition Fiber, it automatically switched from matte to photo black ink.

I assume the 2880 doesn't switch automatically.

I have a feeling that you'll need to reload your 2880 with photo black ink in order to print with on a smoother paper.

However, I've noticed that when my Ultra Premium Presentation Paper (matte) prints are framed under glazing, it's difficult to discern whether they are printed on matte or smooth paper.

Ari
20-Dec-2012, 16:07
Thanks, Gem; I don't really want to swap out the black cartridges again; to wit: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?97941-Help-with-Epson-2880
I found some Moab Entrada Rag Natural that I will try.
And that's helpful to know about the look when framing matte/smooth paper, thanks.

welly
20-Dec-2012, 16:17
I'm not overly keen on matt paper, personally (I use Epson Traditional Photo Paper - which I believe is the same as the Exhibition Fibre) but I did a test print using Hahnemuehle Photo Rag and I thought it looked really nice - I'd print again with that paper, maybe! It might be worth you picking up some of the sample packs - I believe Hahnemuehle give them away for free.

What subjects are you shooting that you print on matt paper?

Ari
20-Dec-2012, 16:40
Welly, I print portraits, B&W/colour and some architecture, mostly colour.
Do they really give away sample packs? I'll look into it later, but if you have a link, please let me know.
Thanks

Gem Singer
20-Dec-2012, 16:41
It's not entirely related to subject matter (although some images just look better when they are toned).

I routinely print B&W on matte paper, with matte black ink, and color on glossy or luster paper with photo black ink.

In the B&W mode, I can instruct the 3880 to print neutral, warm tone, cold tone, or sepia tone.

IMHO, Epson Ultra Premium Presentation Paper (Matte) and K-3 inks are a match made in heaven.

Preston
20-Dec-2012, 16:47
Ari, you might try Epson Velvet Fine Art. It's fairly smooth, and not truly a matte paper, it also uses the Matte Black ink.

Also, Gem is correct: You need to use Photo black with Epson Premuim Luster.

--P

Peter De Smidt
20-Dec-2012, 16:50
You might try getting a few sample sheets of Epson Hot Press Natural. It's a high quality cotton paper with no optical brighteners. It's has a good d-max. That said, it's a matte paper, i.e. it's not any shinier than EUPPP. You might consider coating matte prints with something that'll make them shinier, but this has a lot of negatives, such as cost, difficulty in application, smell, toxicity, and unknown longevity.

welly
20-Dec-2012, 17:19
Welly, I print portraits, B&W/colour and some architecture, mostly colour.
Do they really give away sample packs? I'll look into it later, but if you have a link, please let me know.
Thanks

I had to buy my sample pack (was $20 for 2 sheets of most of/all of their matt papers) from imagescience.com.au but it's an official sample pack so I'm sure a more local distributor will be able to supply them.

I've just checked B+H, they do the sample packs for the same price - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/677048-REG/Hahnemuhle_10640333D_10640333D_Sample_Pack_8_5.html

I did read somewhere that someone got a free sample pack but anyway, $20 for 16 sheets of paper is not too much to ask for!

JBelthoff
20-Dec-2012, 17:49
I would second the Epson Hot Press. I like the Hot Press Bright a little better than the Natural but give either a go! It works with the Matt Black...

Ari
20-Dec-2012, 17:49
Thank you, everybody; Peter, I looked at Epson Hot Press, and it's next on my list, but they were out of 8x10 at the moment.
Same goes for Velvet, thanks Preston.

bob carnie
21-Dec-2012, 03:28
I will third Peter and John on Epson Hot Press with matt ink
I also use Velvet fine art paper .

I do like the Exhibition Fiber but my 7800 at home does not flip from matt to photo black on the fly and I have set up with matt papers for home work.
Our Cannon flips back and forth and for that we are using Fuji Photo Rag which IMHO matches any of the photo Rag papers,, tried them all.

This flipping on the fly would be a major consideration when purchasing a new ink machine and I wish I looked into this matter a bit deeper before getting the 7800.. Don't get me wrong its not a bad machine but if I want to do Exhibition fibre I need photo black and if I use Hot Press I need matte... the switchover is very costly, anyone else came across this and come up with any solutions??

I would second the Epson Hot Press. I like the Hot Press Bright a little better than the Natural but give either a go! It works with the Matt Black...

Jon Shiu
21-Dec-2012, 08:47
the switchover is very costly, anyone else came across this and come up with any solutions??

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/phatte-black.shtml

bob carnie
21-Dec-2012, 09:47
Thanks Jon

This is great info I will look into this in the new year.

Bob

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/phatte-black.shtml