PDA

View Full Version : HP's Paper Choices (for HP DesignJet Z3100/Z3200)

EOTS
19-Dec-2012, 03:21
Hi,

during my Epson time I found a lot of reviews about their papers,
but having ordered a HP Z3200 I'm wondering about the paper choices,
as there seem to be very few articles about that.

I ordered a roll of HP Professional Photo Paper Semigloss 300g along with the printer,
but that will take at least three weeks until shipped,
so I'm willing to test with some different papers.

Question A)
Which of HP's papers do you personally like best and are worth trying out,
and which papers should I better ignore?

Question B)
What could be the best candidates for my use cases:

I'm mostly into printing landscapes in color, where I want a brilliant, colorful, glossy or semiglossy rendition.
I have two use cases:

unmounted paper for my personal portfolio
face mounting acrylic (want to get a roller laminator to do that myself)

Until now I was using Epson Exhibition Fiber (= Traditional Photo) paper,
or Epson Semigloss Paper or Canson Baryta Photographique.

Best regards and thanks,

Gary Tarbert
19-Dec-2012, 03:46
Hi , I love Canson Platine , it is simular too baryta but slightly textured (so not suited too acrylic),But will make your unmounted paper prints sing , Hannemule photo rag is my next favourite although a matte paper i have seen it used with dibond or diasect proccess with stunning results ,The only HP i have ever used is called proffesional satin nice a bit like gold fibre silk from Ilford ,I do not like high gloss papers for inkjet the blacks seem to sit on top of the paper i have tried a few never found one i liked . Oh and from HP their everyday which i use for poster work only ,Actually doing a job on it for 16 100cmx150cm posters on it as i type Regards Gary

richardman
19-Dec-2012, 04:42
Harman Gloss Baryta is my standard paper on the Z3100. Great B&W and colors.

EOTS
19-Dec-2012, 06:43
Thank you Gary and Richard!

Have to try the Canson Platine and the Harman Gloss Baryta!
@Richard: how does it compare to the HP gloss offers?

Hmmm. By-the-way: How do you change papers?
Until now I only used sheet paper up to A2.

Load/Unload the roll every time?

Best regards,
Martin

EOTS
19-Dec-2012, 16:54
Hmmm, otherwise stated: do you recommend to buy a second roll paper holder for quick swapping?

And would you opt for the 3-year-extended-warrenty?
AFAIK the printer is very unproblematic compared to Epson?
Though I read from a guy who was happy to have it as he needed to overhaul the Spectro ...

SergeyT
20-Dec-2012, 09:18
HP Professional Satin is the best in the HP line for both color and B&W if you are up for large prints. There are rumors that is was specifically optimized to match the HP Vivera inks. The only negative factor - it is loaded with OBA.
HP Instant Dry Satin is as good but is thinner, has watermarks on the backside and not quite suitable for large prints.
HP Matte Litho-Realistic is a nice one but with matte finish (ultra smooth surface) and not expensive.

Non HP papers that work well with this printer are:
Canson Platine (semi-gloss) - great for both color and B&W
Canson BFK Rives (matte). I think this is one of the best matter papers for color prints on HP Z.
Canson Rag Photographique 310 (or 210 the same finish - matte, different thickness). Mostly for B&W.

HM Photorag Baryta (very , very similar to Canson Platine) some images have better feel on it , while the others on the Canson Platine.

Having a dedicated roll spindle for each type of paper will greatly simplify your life ;)

Gary Tarbert
21-Dec-2012, 05:57
Sergeyt , Hit the nail on the head one of the reasons i prefer cansons products is HP products tend to use OBA'S , And Canson tend to have a nicer feel , I also love BFK Rives but did not include it in the last post , because martin was asking for a Gloss or semi gloss not a matte paper with just the right amount of surface feel
Just for the record I run an Epson 9900 and my 4 favourite papers are very simular To the non HP papers that work well with this printer are ;
Platine (1) BFK (2) HM photo rag 308 (3) HM photorag baryta (4)
Regards Gary

EOTS
27-Dec-2012, 15:45
Hello Sergeyt and Gary,

the HP Professional Satin Photo paper is said to have _no_ OBAs!
See also here http://www.wilhelm-research.com/hp/WIR_HP_Z3200_2009_02_19.pdf
What are your sources for the OBA content?

It is said however to have more of a plastic look & feel (guess that won't matter to me under glass/acrylic).

I also have a pack of Canson Baryta Photographique here (which is said to contain moderate amounts of OBA).
Have to try the Canson Platine one without the OBAs, but I'm not sure I will like the texture for framing under glass/acrylic.

Best regards,
Martin

EOTS
2-Jan-2013, 14:15
Hello Sergeyt and Gary,

looks like you're right with the OBA's in the HP Professional Satin paper!

Here's a plot done with SpectrumViz: http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
It shows Canson Baryta Photographique 310 (in Green)
HP Professional Satin Photo Paper (in Yellow)
and the typical absorbance/emission plot of Fluorescent Brightening Agents (OBAs):

The HP paper shows the typical OBA-peak,
whereas Canson Baryta Photographique does not show it a lot (perhaps a hint of a peak if at all)
and it's graph is very similar to the Platine Fibre Rag (only a bit more reflectance over the whole spectrum).

Here another one with a much finer scale, where the Canson Baryta Photographique shows a slight OBA-effect (green)
as opposed to Canson Platine Fiber Rag (yellow)
and Hahnemühle Photo Rag Baryta (red):

Best regards,
Martin