PDA

View Full Version : Horseman Woodman and Grafmatics?

Denis Pleic
17-Dec-2012, 07:08
I recently got a nice Horseman Woodman here on LFF (thanks, Ed!), and would like to know from other members who used this camera whether it's advisable to use Grafmatics on the camera without taking off the ground glass.

Namely, Horseman Woodman has a Graflok back (accepts Graflok accessories, like medium format backs, etc.), and I can slide the Grafmatic under the ground glass OK, no big problems.

However, Grafmatic being thicker than an ordinary film holder, I wonder whether it's advisable to use Grafmatic this way (sliding it under GG)? The ground glass springs are tensioned/stressed more than usual, and I wonder if there's a danger of breaking those springs...

Has anyone used Grafmatics on this camera this way? - I'd like to know whether it's safe to use it like that...
Removing the ground glass in order to use a Grafmatic is a bit of pain... but still better than breaking those ground glass springs :eek:

BradS
17-Dec-2012, 10:41
Why would not not simply use the graflock back as intended and avoid the whole issue?

Denis Pleic
17-Dec-2012, 11:05
Why would not not simply use the graflock back as intended and avoid the whole issue?

Brad, I'm not sure I understand this properly: by "use Graflok as intended", do you mean take of the ground glass before attaching the Grafmatic using the sliding clips?

If so, that's not very practical (I said that it's a "bit of pain"): you need to place the GG somewhere while you take the shot, and with me being clumsy as I am, there's a good chance of breaking the GG within a few nanoseconds after taking it off the camera - most likely by stepping on it :)

The way I use Grafmatic on my Speed Graphic is easy: I just slip it under the ground glass, like any other film holder: no worries there, and no need to take of the GG part off the camera... So I thought I could use it the same way on the Horseman: but the Horseman has different type of springs, which seem to be exerted a bit too much when used this way.

I just thought that probably I'm not the first person in the world who thought of using Grafmatics on this camera, so perhaps someone more knowledgeable/experienced might have some advice (as in "Don't do it - you'll break those springs sooner or later!" or "No worries, I've been using Grafmatics this way for ages, never had any problems, springs are still as good as new").

But, I guess this is the situation where the principle of "better safe than sorry" applies... I'd just better get some spare ground glass pieces ready :)
(Or is it "ground glass(es)"? Hmmm... any English language experts around?)

dave_whatever
17-Dec-2012, 11:07
I generally just slip grafmatics under the GG as normal. But I also then engage the graflok tabs to make sure then i don't accidentally pull it away from the camera body when cycling it.

Denis Pleic
17-Dec-2012, 12:01
I generally just slip grafmatics under the GG as normal. But I also then engage the graflok tabs to make sure then i don't accidentally pull it away from the camera body when cycling it.

Ahhh, thanks, Dave, just what I hoped to hear!

So, your ground glass springs are still OK, nothing broken? This means I can use the Grafmatics as planned :)
Thanks!