PDA

View Full Version : Linhof 3-way heads now compatible with RRS plates!

Henry Carter
16-Dec-2012, 09:54
I just took delivery of 2 newly introduced Linhof 3-way tripod heads:

(1) Linhof 3D Micro Levelling Head with dovetail track (3662) - a fully geared precision 3-way head.

(2) Linhof 3D Head II with dovetail track (3666) - the next generation of the excellent 3663 3-way levelling head.

They are incredibly well made, a joy to use, and very compact. So compact in fact that that their height and footprint are similar to the venerable Arca Swiss B1 ball head (though functionally miles ahead). They are conservatively rated to hold over 20 lbs, and so are ideal for MF and LF (4x5, 5x7 etc).

The most exciting new development, introduced recently at Photokina and a new departure for Linhof, is that they are both available with dovetail tracks. This means that they are made to be used with industry standard Really Right Stuff (RRS) and other Arca Swiss compatible camera plates. This should make these heads extremely attractive to anyone who swears by RRS plates on their cameras, as I have for over 15 years.

My 4x5 Linhof Master Technika, with RRS plates in place, looks very happy on top of these heads.

Thank-you Linhof, and many thanks to Mike Boylan at Blazes Photographic in Toronto.

Peter De Smidt
16-Dec-2012, 10:02
Those look terrific! I wish that I could afford one.

Bob Salomon
16-Dec-2012, 11:06
They are each available in two types. Either with the Linhof Quickfix mount or the Arca compatible mount. The 003663 is also available with standard screw thread as before.

The new 3-way head is redwsigned versions of the older screw-mount style and also has built-in bubble levels as well as newly designed arms.

Henry Carter
16-Dec-2012, 12:15
Those look terrific! I wish that I could afford one.

Hi Peter,

The heads are not as expensive as the B&H site would suggest (US $2399 for the 3662 3D Micro with dovetail). Linhof & Studio, the official UK Linhof distributor sells the same head for 799 pounds (about US $1225), and the 3666 head for 550 pounds (about US $840):

http://www.linhofstudio.com/products/accessories/tripodsandheads.php

David R Munson
16-Dec-2012, 12:18
Bob - I'm actually pretty excited to see this. One question for clarification - is there a panning stage placed just under the QR clamp? It looks like there is, but I can't find the official specs.

Henry Carter
16-Dec-2012, 13:02
Bob - I'm actually pretty excited to see this. One question for clarification - is there a panning stage placed just under the QR clamp? It looks like there is, but I can't find the official specs.

Both heads have 2 panning stages, one at the base and one just below the QR clamp.

Bob Salomon
16-Dec-2012, 13:45

The new versions, released at Photokina in September, as well as the older geared 3-D head with the Quickfix all have two calibrated pan stages as Henry noted. The original screw-mount version has just one pan stage at the base.

Here is our press release announcing the non-geared versions.

October 25, 2012 For Information Contact: Bob Salomon Contact Info: Office 800 735-4373 Fax: 800 282-9010 email: bob@hpmarketingcorp.com

NEW LINHOF 3-WAY LEVELING HEADS II

Linhof has developed a new version of their head that is based on their very successful 3-Way Leveling Head which now allows a tilt of more than 180° even with heavy cameras. Due to the panoramic top plate above the movement axis individual pictures destined for panoramic photography can be set very accurately. The scales allow for the control and repetition of any adjustment.
All 3-way movements can be controlled through the spirit levels. The position of the camera is defined by the base panoramic rotation. The clamping levers can be fixed in any desired position.
The 3D Leveling Head II was made to carry professional cameras with a weight of up to to 17.6 lb.
The new Linhof 3-Way Leveling Head II comes in two versions:
Code 003665: with a built-in Linhof Quickfix-Adapter I for quick mounting of the camera. The adapter-plate of the Linhof Quickfix-Adapter I is delivered with the 3D Leveling Head II, a 35-mm-plate can be ordered option- ally with code 003878.
Code 003666: this head has a dovetail-track and gives the possibility to use Arca compatible plates from Arca, Novoflex, etc.
Technical details
3D Leveling Head II with Quickfix I adapter Code 003665
Leveling and tilt range from -15 to + 90°
Measures 2.8x2.8x3.8” without knobs, 4.4x3.7x3.8” with knobs Weight 2.1 lb, Weight of Quickfix plate 2.3 oz
3D Leveling Head II with dovetail-track Code 003666
Leveling and tilt range from -15 to + 90°
Measures 2.8x2.8x3.8” without knobs, 4.4x3.7x3.8” with knobs Weight 2.1 lb

If anyone wants I can also add the release about the new geared Arca compatible version.

As a point of information the Arca type Linhof clamp was developed using Arca and Novoflex plates and not any of the American or Chinese plates. We have used Giotto Arca style plates with no problem and visitors to our booth that had RRS and Kirk plates all also fit but we can't guarantee that all RRS or Kirk plates will fit properly.

konakoa
16-Dec-2012, 14:12
Thank you for posting this! Those heads are really cool. I really like that the pan and tilt head doesn't have any protruding handles--much more compact and much less to snag on so it would make it all the better to take along on long trips-vacations. That 3666 head looks very, very nice. Probably couldn't get a US dealer to order one for less than a thousand dollars though.

I wish RRS would make a comparable pan and tilt head. I've been waiting years and years to see if they'll do it. They'll make anything else including a specialized safari rig, but no pan and tilt heads. (They can sell something for the African savanna but don't see a market for a pan and tilt head?) Their bread and butter seems to be ball heads and I just don't care for those. Loosen the lock on the ball to slightly tip the camera up or level the horizon and and the camera goes every which way but where you want it. Ugh.

Bob Salomon
16-Dec-2012, 14:27
For anyone going to either the CNPA or the NANPA shows we will show them there. Possibly also at WPPI. They will not be shown at PMA 2013.

Henry Carter
16-Dec-2012, 14:29
For what it is worth, I have a range of RRS plates on my various Linhof Cameras (4x5 Master Technika, 4x5 Technar, 612 Technorama, 2x3 Technika Vb), and they all fit very well in the new Linhof dovetail clamps.

I have several Linhof Quickfix plates and clamps, and after using RRS plates and clamps, I would be hard-pressed to ever want to use the Linhof Quickfix plates on any of the above listed Linhof cameras. All is not lost because they are well made and quite substantial, and I now use them in my office as attractive photo-themed paper weights.

I think that you can probably assume that the new Linhof dovetail tracks are compatible with RRS plates, and this opens-up a huge new market for these wonderful new Linhof heads with dovetail tracks. The number of cameras out there that have RRS plates permanently attached to them probably far exceeds the total number of Linhof cameras in use worldwide. Somebody at Linhof clearly saw that potential, and I hope that these new heads see widespread use despite US pricing that is out of step with other Linhof markets word wide. More competitive pricing would increase market penetration further, and open sales to not only more Linhof users but also to photographers who do not otherwise use Linhof products. Think about the possibilities!

Frank Kistemann
18-Dec-2012, 11:45
I've seen both these heads, as well as other Linhof products at this year's Photokina and they're truly excellent. I'd just like to add, that the new 3-way-head doesn't seem as strong as the older version. When asking the Linhof representative if it would be a good fit for my Technikardan S, he suggested the classic 003663 head, as it would better support the load. However the 003666 is still rated to hold 8 kg, so one might give it a try.

Henry, could you explain your preference for the RRS system over the Quickfix? I personally never used any quick-release-clamp but was quite impressed when I saw the Quickfix at Photokina by how rigid that connection was, given the working principle.

Henry Carter
18-Dec-2012, 22:29
Henry, could you explain your preference for the RRS system over the Quickfix? I personally never used any quick-release-clamp but was quite impressed when I saw the Quickfix at Photokina by how rigid that connection was, given the working principle.

The striking differences are in the camera plates, not so much in the clamps (which are both excellent). The RRS plates come in many sizes and configurations to fit given cameras, and have anti-twist flanges that make for a more solid mechanical coupling between plate and camera. It is therefore impossible for the camera to twist off the RRS plate when attached to the clamp. Another advantage with the RRS system is that you can attach longer plates or rails to a camera, making it possible to move the camera relative to the head when using heavier lenses (ie according to the changing fulcrum).

Not so with the Linhof Quickfix - there are only 2 sizes, and the 'one size fits all' plates are more clunky and lack an anti-twist flange, have a rubber pad for friction, and so it is much easier to twist the plate off the camera.

The RRS system is simply more elegant, and now markedly more so given the compatibility with the new Linhof heads. Once you start using plates with ant-twist flanges, you will never want to go back.

Bob Salomon
19-Dec-2012, 02:17
The striking differences are in the camera plates, not so much in the clamps (which are both excellent). The RRS plates come in many sizes and configurations to fit given cameras, and have anti-twist flanges that make for a more solid mechanical coupling between plate and camera. It is therefore impossible for the camera to twist off the RRS plate when attached to the clamp. Another advantage with the RRS system is that you can attach longer plates or rails to a camera, making it possible to move the camera relative to the head when using heavier lenses (ie according to the changing fulcrum).

Not so with the Linhof Quickfix - there are only 2 sizes, and the 'one size fits all' plates are more clunky and lack an anti-twist flange, have a rubber pad for friction, and so it is much easier to twist the plate off the camera.

The RRS system is simply more elegant, and now markedly more so given the compatibility with the new Linhof heads. Once you start using plates with ant-twist flanges, you will never want to go back.

And the Novoflex plates (Arca style) have anti twist features and lengths up to 18" long, some that can accept a base clamp on both sides of the rail for even more flexibility.

Grumium
19-Dec-2012, 14:05
I am going to buy one of those three way heads, but still have not figured out, which type suits me more. Unfortunately, there is no place over here, where you can play with both (or even with one).

3D Micro: I like the fact that it is geared, but its adjusting range seems very limited.
Linhof Neiger II: Adjustable over a broad range, but does it allow for fine adjustments (friction, setting after locking, etc.?) and is it as rigid as the 3D?

Shall be fitted on a Gitzo GT3532S (leveling base for 3D recommended?) and support a 617 with lenses up to 250mm in windy conditions. What's your opinion, Bob?

Bob Salomon
19-Dec-2012, 14:16
The 3D micro is actually two of the geared heads from the M679cc that have been stacked to move in opposite directions. They have about 15° of tilt front to back and left to right. If more tilt is needed to get to 90° then there is an accessory Right Angle device that Linhof sells for the Quick Fix version. For the Arca compatible version you use a L arm. Novoflex makes three different sized ones and Giotto makes another.

Personally I prefer the above type of head for studio or macro work where very precise positioning of the camera is required.

For field type work I prefer the 3-Way versions as they are much faster to get the camera into position and you can twist the arms to position the camera in any direction you want.

Either will easily support a 617 SIII even with the shift adapter and ground glass focus system. So your camera with the 250 would be no problem at all.

Jody_S
19-Dec-2012, 14:42
Hi Peter,

The heads are not as expensive as the B&H site would suggest (US $2399 for the 3662 3D Micro with dovetail). Linhof & Studio, the official UK Linhof distributor sells the same head for 799 pounds (about US $1225)

http://www.linhofstudio.com/products/accessories/tripodsandheads.php

That's more than I paid for all of my LF cameras (4) and tripods combined. Looks nice though ;)

Grumium
19-Dec-2012, 16:35
Bob, thank you. Does the new Neiger allows for easy fine leveling (e.g. horizon) or is it the same pain in the *** as using a common ballhead? I would definitely prefer the way the 3D works but do understand your point about field application as well.

Bob Salomon
19-Dec-2012, 16:45
The Novoflex NEIGER series are very small ball heads and would not be used for large format.

The new 3-Way Linhof leveling heads are very easy to get things level as they have built-in bubble levels. The original Linhof one did not have levels.

There are also the Linhof Leveling Head and the new Novoflex MBAL Leveling Ball. They can also be used. But I don't think you would need them.

Bob Salomon
19-Dec-2012, 16:48
"The heads are not as expensive as the B&H site would suggest (US $2399 for the 3662 3D Micro with dovetail). Linhof & Studio, the official UK Linhof distributor sells the same head for 799 pounds (about US $1225)"

This price comparison is USA Manufacturer's List Price being compared to UK dealer retail price. Most USA dealers discount from the list price so the comparison does not accurately compare the costs.

Henry Carter
19-Dec-2012, 22:54
"The heads are not as expensive as the B&H site would suggest (US $2399 for the 3662 3D Micro with dovetail). Linhof & Studio, the official UK Linhof distributor sells the same head for 799 pounds (about US $1225)"

This price comparison is USA Manufacturer's List Price being compared to UK dealer retail price. Most USA dealers discount from the list price so the comparison does not accurately compare the costs.

Since when does B&H discount from their online pricing? The comparison quoted above is between posted online ordering prices from UK vs. USA, and the USA pricing is double the UK pricing. Why is "official" US Linhof pricing the highest in the world?

Grumium
19-Dec-2012, 23:41
Henry. Buying local isn't always the best solution and for instance, is the case why so many Swiss people buy in neighboring countries instead of in their own. The only one you support by buying such heavily overpriced products is the importer. Where is the reason for such a US pricing policy?

BTW: You can save even more money if you order from a German dealer.