PDA

View Full Version : First large format camera

Nik2494
11-Dec-2012, 11:35
I'm a complete new comer to large format photography, but I'm very interested in acquiring a large format camera. I have a lot of darkroom experience so thats not really a problem, I simply need a recommendation for a good, relatively cheap large format film camera, preferably shooting half plate 4x5 film. Can anyone help me out?? thanks for reading, any replies would be much appreciated. :)

E. von Hoegh
11-Dec-2012, 11:43
Here's your best bet. Read this: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/ , the homepage of this site. There are many inexpensive cameras out there, one of the Cambo monorails come to mind. You'll also need: lens, exposure meter, filmholders, cable release, tripod, darkcloth just for starters.

Welcome!

Len Middleton
11-Dec-2012, 11:59
I'm a complete new comer to large format photography, but I'm very interested in acquiring a large format camera. I have a lot of darkroom experience so thats not really a problem, I simply need a recommendation for a good, relatively cheap large format film camera, preferably shooting half plate 4x5 film. Can anyone help me out?? thanks for reading, any replies would be much appreciated. :)

Nik,

You might want to indicate your location, as this site has a very large reach. I think with the exception of Antarctica, there are likely members on every continent.

There may be members in your area who could help introduce you to it and provide you with contacts who have equipment or systems available and the availability of local supply of the necessities. They might even be prepared to take you out with them to demonstrate their equipment and technique. After all with the size and weight of our kits, a "sherpa" is generally always welcome.

Oh yes, and follow EvH's advice and review the articles and reviews on the LF home page.

Good luck on your journey and welcome to the asylum,

Len

Robert Langham
11-Dec-2012, 12:14
In my very humble opinion, starting with 5X7 these days would be a good idea. You can get them. You can get enlarger and it's a great negative to enlarge. You can contact that size negative and make a print large enough to see. Not much bigger to lug around than a 4X5.

IanG
11-Dec-2012, 12:28
7x5 is not such a good idea outside the US, it wasn't a historic standard size anywhere else. The UK and Empire used Half plate, Continental Europe 13x18cm. So in the UK 7x5 DDS are rare and quite expensive and film's not so readily available. Regardless of location colour films is even worse availability except in 5x4 and 10x8.

Ian

Nik2494
11-Dec-2012, 15:55
thanks everyone, I will check out all your suggestions, I live in the UK so my most readily available film is 4x5 or 10x8. Great photo by the way, makes me even more keen to take up this type of photography, the quality is amazing!

E. von Hoegh
11-Dec-2012, 15:59
thanks everyone, I will check out all your suggestions, I live in the UK so my most readily available film is 4x5 or 10x8. Great photo by the way, makes me even more keen to take up this type of photography, the quality is amazing!

Wait until you see a real print instead of a digital image on a monitor... :)

Alan Gales
12-Dec-2012, 00:35
Do some research and figure out if you are interested in a monorail, a press camera or a field camera. Then figure out what your total budget is for the camera, a starter lens, film holders, loupe, etc., etc. After you do this, then post your question along with your budget and we will have a much better idea how to help you. Otherwise everyone will recommend just about everything and you will have no idea what to buy. :)

P.S. At one time we all started where you are at. For me and a few others it wasn't very long ago at all.

gliderbee
12-Dec-2012, 00:57
7x5 is not such a good idea outside the US, it wasn't a historic standard size anywhere else. The UK and Empire used Half plate, Continental Europe 13x18cm. So in the UK 7x5 DDS are rare and quite expensive and film's not so readily available. Regardless of location colour films is even worse availability except in 5x4 and 10x8.

Ian

Since 5x7 and 13x18 holders have the same outside dimensionale, it doesn't matter for choice of camera. I use Shen Hao and Toyo 5x7.

Stefan

Jiri Vasina
12-Dec-2012, 01:33
Since 5x7 and 13x18 holders have the same outside dimensionale, it doesn't matter for choice of camera. I use Shen Hao and Toyo 5x7.

Stefan

Exactly my words, even modern HalfPlate holders have the same external dimensions as 5x7" and 13x18cm holders. I know because I use all three of them.

And yes, 5x7" (as modern cameras are designated by this label) is a very nice format to work with.

Everything else depends on your budget, whether you want to buy new or used (for starters I would recommend buying used one, if in 5x7" Seneca View, Korona Gundlach,... if a 4x5" then M.P.P.'s are quite popular in UK, and I use one too (http://www.vasina.net/?page_id=14). Or Speed Graphic.)

Jiri

jose angel
12-Dec-2012, 03:15
I used to shoot the three standard sizes; now I have settled on 4x5" for convenience. Price, developing (standard Jobo drums, Paterson tanks), modern enlargers, etc.

My advice is to buy an easy an fast to setup camera, press type ones (Linhof, Wista, Horseman, MPP... ). IMHO monorails are also great but ask for a more "conscious" way of working; many press type ones are perfectly capable, and less proned to "shooting lazyness".