PDA

View Full Version : Ilford Special Order Film Window?

catalinajack
10-Dec-2012, 16:33
I am wanting a supply of 3&1/4 x 4&1/4 film for my Speed Graphic. Yes, I know, why? It's nostalgic. It's what my father used and I use his camera to take pics during the holidays (with flash bulbs) as a kind of a remembrance. I know that Ilford does a run of special cuts each year. My question is when is the next window. Anyone know?

Lachlan 717
10-Dec-2012, 16:45
Middle of next year.

Sorry...

Peter Gomena
10-Dec-2012, 17:45
You might be surprised at what a big retailer can get from Ilford's US distributor. A year or so ago I called Glazer's Photo in Seattle off-cycle and they were able to get me whole plate film drop-shipped from their distributor in about 4 days time. It can't hurt to ask.

Peter Gomena

jcoldslabs
10-Dec-2012, 18:42
Freestyle doesn't carry Ilford sheet films in 9x12cm size, but since the demise of Efke I have learned that they can get it from the UK (where it is still a standard, non-special order item) pretty quickly. The cost, though, is pretty high even compared to 4x5. Freestyle may also be able to get film in 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 for you from Europe. Can't hurt to ask.

Jonathan

Roger Hesketh
11-Dec-2012, 02:54
Johnathan 9x12cm as you correctly say is not an Ilford special order size but 3 1/4x41/4 inch unfortunately is and the best bit is yet to come. It's 73 quid for a box of 25 and that is before postage. Freestyle still have some quarter plate film listed or they did the last time I checked about 2 weeks ago. Lumiere de have Wephota 25 and 100ASA listed at about 30 Euros.

jcoldslabs
11-Dec-2012, 03:16
Johnathan 9x12cm as you correctly say is not an Ilford special order size but 3 1/4x41/4 inch unfortunately is and the best bit is yet to come. It's 73 quid for a box of 25 and that is before postage. Freestyle still have some quarter plate film listed or they did the last time I checked about 2 weeks ago. Lumiere de have Wephota 25 and 100ASA listed at about 30 Euros.

Ouch! Good to know, thanks. I have some 3.25 x 4.25 holders, but for that price I might as well shoot Arista.EDU Ultra in 8x10!

Jonathan

IanG
11-Dec-2012, 03:22
Quarter plate film works out rather expensive because it's on the ULF run, you might try Wephota film (http://www.lumiere-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=641) which is readily available.

Ian

Roger Hesketh
11-Dec-2012, 03:31
That last post of mine upon rereading it sounds critical of Ilford. That was not my intention. A few years ago I had a conversation with Ilford , this was before the special order window arrangement came into place about possibile minimum order requirements for them to cut some quarter plate film for me. It was some time ago and I forget the details but a very frank discussion ensued about the costs involved which were substantial. I did consider briefly the possibility of getting them to specially cut some for me and then to sell on what I did not need for myself. I decided upon reflection though that it was not after all that important to me. I did not want to have to become a film salesperson in order to be able to use the film of my choice. Having had an insight into the costs involved I think we should be grateful to Ilford for making this film available in this size at all.

Maybe now some of the competition has gone from this market they might consider making it a non special order item.

catalinajack
11-Dec-2012, 18:46
Thanks for the replies. Guess I'll have to cut some 4 x 5 film down in the darkroom. I've done it in the past successfully but I really hoped to avoid doing that. It's a real pain. When Efke produced it the cost was the same as for 4x5.

jcoldslabs
11-Dec-2012, 23:12
As 9x12cm film gets more scarce (and more expensive) I am thinking of mounting my favorite lenses from my German folding cameras onto Speed Graphic boards so I can shoot them with 4x5 film which, because of the low demand for 9x12 and 3.25 x 4.25, is more affordable. It's sad, because I absolutely love my ICA Universal Palmos 9x12. It is smaller and lighter than the Speed Graphic, has more movements, has interchangeable lenses and a revolving back. The only thing working against it is its film size.

Jonathan

Roger Hesketh
12-Dec-2012, 13:12
Johnathan 9x12cm still appears to be pretty available at least this side of the pond. Quarter plate has been an obsolete size for 30 years at least . I remember in the early eighties when I first got into photography it being available from Ilford but only if you bought 20 boxes. 9x12cm is not an obsolete size. It may not be as commonly used in the English speaking world as 4x5" but our continental friends are very keen on it and as has been said it is not a Ilford special order size.

You can get 9x12cm FP4+ ever so slightly cheaper than 4x5". http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/fp4-125asa-21-c.asp

Quarter plate is another matter though and I am giving serious consideration to seeing if it might be possible to use 9x12cm film in some of my quarter plate cameras. Cameras such as the quarter plate Graflex super D which I like and for which their does not seem to be a viable alternative.

IanG
12-Dec-2012, 13:30
Have to agree 9x12 is readily available maybe less so in the US as it's a Continental European format, every company makes it in a wide range of films.

Ian

Peter Gomena
12-Dec-2012, 14:10
3-1/4x4-1/4 HP5+ is in stock at Blue Moon Camera in Portland, Oregon. (I have no affiliation with BMC.) Only $59.95/box. Ouch. I could get whole plate for about $20/box more the last time I bought.

http://automat.bluemooncamera.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=60_71

Peter Gomena

jcoldslabs
12-Dec-2012, 23:55
Roger & Ian,

I was shooting Efke 9x12 until they went under. Now I can only seem to get Foma 9x12 here, but since most of my exposures are measured in multiples of seconds, the horrible reciprocity of Foma has scared me off. Other than that I am unaware of other 9x12 films being offered in the U.S. Freestyle will bring in Ilford HP5 in 9x12 from the UK by request for $41.99 for a box of 25 sheets. By contrast 50 sheets of Fomapan 400 is only $49. I suppose I could shoot Fomapan for my daylight shots and keep the Ilford for lower light shooting. Harumph! (First world problems, as they say.)

Jonathan

IanG
13-Dec-2012, 01:59
Jonathan, my experience with Fomapan 100 & 200 is that the reciprocity is nowhere near as bad as Foma's recommendations, you'd need to terst for yourself but the price differential makes it worthwhile.

Ian

jcoldslabs
13-Dec-2012, 05:15
Ian,

It's true that the "severe reciprocity" characteristic of Foma films is only something I've read about, not something I know from experience. I may give it a try since it is the last remaining (affordable) 9x12 option available here in the U.S. Thanks for the tip.

Jonathan